Melbourne suburbs ranked by liveability 2019

swc132994

I recently seen there is an updated suburb liveability ranking list posted on Domain and just linking here for anyone interested.

https://www.domain.com.au/liveable-melbourne/melbournes-most-liveable-suburbs-2019/melbournes-307-suburbs-ranked-for-liveability-2019-898676/

I must say that I do take these rating with a pinch of salt as liveability can mean different things to different people.

Edited by swc132994
spelling

I know, from what I can see the scores comes from cafes, walkable, culture, public transport, tree cover, retail and crime. 

My own suburb Warrandyte scored roughly in the middle due to poor public transport and lack of retail but scored higher than the 2015 ranking due to more cafes. 

17 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Total nonsense as far as I can see. Some of the higher listed suburbs are awful whilst some much lower down are safe, lovely and with a great community spirit. Have to think the real estate agents were involved !

No, I think it's just that their measures are skewed to the things that millenials would value, like walkability and culture.  And they do open the survey by saying different people value different things.

• 2 months later...

These surveys and comparisons are totally useless for the newer suburbs as the data used for the comparison is either non-existent or so different (based on say 1/10th of the population the suburb now has) as to be meaningless.

• 1 month later...

Its funny how everyone just 'knows' which are the good and not so good suburbs around them. More or less unanimous but you don't really find out until you live there! Also things change over time and what was once a 'good' suburb can suddenly change and vice versa.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Looking at this after a few months of Covid lockdown. My suburb (Diamond Creek) ranks very low because of lack of walkability, distance to schools, distance to coast, lack of public transports etc. But under Covid, it seems the suburb is very walkable with plenty of open green spaces where we can relax while being socially distanced. All the shops, cafes etc are close to one another in a real mini-town centre so we are quite self-sufficient. The low-grade cafes always led on carry out foods so they are in their element now. And when schools did go back (briefly), they suddenly seemed to be easily walkable when people wanted excuses to be walking. I wonder what life is like in South Yarra or Richmond right now.

44 minutes ago, Quinkla said:

Looking at this after a few months of Covid lockdown. My suburb (Diamond Creek) ranks very low because of lack of walkability, distance to schools, distance to coast, lack of public transports etc. But under Covid, it seems the suburb is very walkable with plenty of open green spaces where we can relax while being socially distanced. All the shops, cafes etc are close to one another in a real mini-town centre so we are quite self-sufficient. The low-grade cafes always led on carry out foods so they are in their element now. And when schools did go back (briefly), they suddenly seemed to be easily walkable when people wanted excuses to be walking. I wonder what life is like in South Yarra or Richmond right now.

"Walkability" means whether shops and other amenities are close enough to walk to, and whether the streets are safe with good pavements - not whether it's a nice place to go for a stroll.  

But I agree that people's priorities have changed with Covid.  After all, if you can't go to work or go out for the evening, a lack of public transport suddenly becomes irrelevant!  And I suspect some people never even try walking to the shops in suburbs where it's easier to hop in the car, so the walkability rating may be distorted. 

I imagine life in South Yarra and Richmond is great. We live in Brunswick East.  It had "walkability" before Covid and it still does - I can easily walk to the shops and all amenities, and the walking is enjoyable because we have such an interesting diversity of architectural styles, and lots of parks to choose from. Even though it's a densely populated suburb compared to Diamond Creek, the pavements don't feel at all crowded and nor do the parks.  The only time I worry about too many people is at the supermarket, and I imagine that's much the same everywhere.  Many of the cafés and restaurants here, even the posh ones, are doing take-away so there's a wealth of choice.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

We found we could actually walk down to our local shopping centre whereas before we thought it was too far.  It is 1.5 km so really not far at all, it is just that we were so used to getting in the car we didn't think to walk down there. Amazing the number of people doing the same now.  We never used to see anyone on foot. You wouldn't want your suburb to be too 'liveable' because too many people might move in and crowd it up. Some of us prefer the country style life and don't want to be literally on top of schools and shops.  Especially not schools!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

One of the problems for this survey are estimates about transport, where a train station is in the next suburb and easy to get to, or shopping, where a mall/cinema is short drive away. The lack of these counts "against" the suburb, when for the inhabitants, it's often a definite plus. 

Some things definitely do count - schools for one.

Also, check out where the nearest A&E hospital is.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree that the survey is not a real view of how liveable a suburb really is. Take my suburb for example, it is rated poorly due to things I wouldn't consider a problem. From Warrandyte, my wife's takes the bus to the city and I take the car to get to work. I drop the kids off at daycare and school on the way. The nearest large shopping centre (Eastland) in Ringwood is 15 mins away by car. Warrandyte is a leafy, peaceful and not densely built up like many other suburbs to feeling claustrophobic. So what that is lacks a train station or major shopping centre. There is a library with not a too bad selection of restaurants and cafes. It does lack boutique shops though which is a shame. In conclusion take this survey with a large pinch of salt as what each person considers liveable is variable.

Edited by swc132994

On 20/09/2020 at 16:12, starlight7 said:

We found we could actually walk down to our local shopping centre whereas before we thought it was too far.  It is 1.5 km so really not far at all, it is just that we were so used to getting in the car we didn't think to walk down there. Amazing the number of people doing the same now.  We never used to see anyone on foot. You wouldn't want your suburb to be too 'liveable' because too many people might move in and crowd it up. Some of us prefer the country style life and don't want to be literally on top of schools and shops.  Especially not schools!

We have always valued walkability, but it seems some people still take the car even for very short journeys. Some I understand as they have mobility or health issues. But our young neighbour with two primary school kids drives them to school less than 1km away! This creates another generation who don’t seem to walk.  They spend money on gyms but never seem to enjoy fresh air!

We will happily walk out in the evening for a meal, allowing us a drink (cabs are hard to get outside metro), in the summer even a 40 min walk to a winery is doable and enjoyable.

I would hate to live somewhere that required a car or transport journey for everything. 

Edited by rammygirl