Drivers licence renewal

Rawkus

According to this site http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/what-happens-if-driving-licence-has-expired.html you can renew it for 20 pounds if in the UK, unless it has expired by more than 2 years then you may be required to sit a test again especially due to age or medical reasons if in the UK. If overseas and it expires well you can't renew it and it won't be valid anywhere.   

8 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

According to this site http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/what-happens-if-driving-licence-has-expired.html you can renew it for 20 pounds if in the UK, unless it has expired by more than 2 years then you may be required to sit a test again especially due to age or medical reasons if in the UK. If overseas and it expires well you can't renew it and it won't be valid anywhere.   

Yes but if you hold a valid Aus license they will just issue a UK one, same as we got an Aus licence by showing our UK one.  If a licence has expired for a number of years and you have not held any licence from an ‘approved’ country then yes you may well need to sit a test.

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Yes but if you hold a valid Aus license they will just issue a UK one, same as we got an Aus licence by showing our UK one.  If a licence has expired for a number of years and you have not held any licence from an ‘approved’ country then yes you may well need to sit a test.

If you apply for a UK one based on your Australian one, they'll take your Australian one off you.  For those settling permanently in the UK that may not matter, but worth being aware of. 

I was away for 30 years and I wasn't asked to do a test. 

13 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes you are right, forgot to add that.

Been back in the UK now for 2 just over two months and I have just renewed my UK licence, it expired a few years ago. I had to renew by post as I'd also had a name change, but it was pretty easy and I just sent a letter explaining that I'd been living overseas for X number of years. No issues at all and I had both my new licence back within a week.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but we have recently returned to the UK and I am looking to transfer my Australian driver's licence transferred back to a UK one.  My UK licence expired a couple of years ago, however my Australian (Vic) licence is current.  I had been under the impression that I could just get it transferred over, but on the DVLA website it says I need to have been resident in UK for 185 days before I can transfer it over.  I really need a UK licence for work purposes and this could throw a spanner in the works.

From the posts here, others seem to have just transferred it, I'm wondering if the rules have changed recently or if the fact I did have a UK licence previously means I don't need ot have been resident to renew it.  Any help from someone who has done it recently would be appreciated.

25 minutes ago, Ballaratburd said:

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but we have recently returned to the UK and I am looking to transfer my Australian driver's licence transferred back to a UK one.  My UK licence expired a couple of years ago, however my Australian (Vic) licence is current.  I had been under the impression that I could just get it transferred over, but on the DVLA website it says I need to have been resident in UK for 185 days before I can transfer it over.  I really need a UK licence for work purposes and this could throw a spanner in the works.

From the posts here, others seem to have just transferred it, I'm wondering if the rules have changed recently or if the fact I did have a UK licence previously means I don't need ot have been resident to renew it.  Any help from someone who has done it recently would be appreciated.

We no longer had our expired UK licence's (got discarded years ago when moving)  so we completed an application form for new ones and ticked "lost or stolen" then explained that we had shredded them when they had expired and as we were abroad at that time, we no longer needed them. 

New ones were issued, with photo, within a week. And we did not have to hand in our Australian licence's either.

9 hours ago, Ballaratburd said:

My UK licence expired a couple of years ago, however my Australian (Vic) licence is current.  I had been under the impression that I could just get it transferred over, but on the DVLA website it says I need to have been resident in UK for 185 days before I can transfer it over.

Just renew your expired UK licence.

• 4 weeks later...