Transferring money from UK to Australia

Juditta

I need to transfer  money from my bank in the UK to a bank in Australia, can anyone tell me if it saves money if I use a money transfer company, or is it simpler and same charges if I send it  direct from my bank to the bank in Australia please?   Never done it before so bit confused?!  😟

Hi juditta,. I set up an online TransferWise account. You can open up to 5 foreign currency accounts and transfer between them. It's very easy . I believe they give market rates and only charge a small transfer fee. Bank to bank have extra charges and sell below market rate

• Like 1

I was looking at this as a guide to how much we could spend on a house in Australia.

When we sell we should clear £500k in the UK which if we had transferred in May (at bank rates and before fees etc.) would have been $885k (exc rate 1.77/GBP)

If we had kept it until today (esc rate 1.93/GBP) that same £500k would be $965K

Basically when you exchange makes a massive difference to your finances - exchanging this is Dec 2019 (rather than May 2019) essentially is the same as having cleared £550k on the house sale rather than £500k

In the case of a £500K transfer, every 0.01% difference in exchange rate is $5,000 so it makes sense to maximum this anyway you can

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I was looking at this as a guide to how much we could spend on a house in Australia.

When we sell we should clear £500k in the UK which if we had transferred in May (at bank rates and before fees etc.) would have been $885k (exc rate 1.77/GBP)

If we had kept it until today (esc rate 1.93/GBP) that same £500k would be $965K

Basically when you exchange makes a massive difference to your finances - exchanging this is Dec 2019 (rather than May 2019) essentially is the same as having cleared £550k on the house sale rather than £500k

In the case of a £500K transfer, every 0.01% difference in exchange rate is $5,000 so it makes sense to maximum this anyway you can

I have my fingers crossed the rate stays >$1.90 until mid Feb....  Like you the rate is significantlt better than when we started planning this, lets hope it keeps improving!

• Like 1