Moving states as a PR

Dean0703

32 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

So you may know the answer to this - what do the nominating state where you are for the two years do to make sure you're behaving and complying within the terms of the visa?

Nothing, basically.  It's just a moral obligation (i.e. the onus is on you).  This is why they've cut back so much on granting the 190 and switched to the 489 and then the 491 - because they were fed up of people getting a 190, spending a token amount of time in the state and then disappearing. 

I have no idea why they couldn't have changed the 190 regulations to add some penalties for not fulfiling your obligations instead.  

I believe you might be in trouble if you get the 190, don't fulfil your moral obligation and then want to apply for citizenship.

As for not having to work in your nominated occupation - I can see why that's the way it is.  No state can guarantee you a job in any field, and they don't want you sitting there unemployed because you're not allowed to do anything else. 

Victoria isn’t most British migrants’ first choice because it doesn’t offer the stereotypical sun and sand lifestyle most of them are after. However having moved here recently, I think it’s possibly one of the best places to be. 

The climate all over Australia is getting more extreme but being further south, Victoria suffers less from that. It’s also the most populated state, meaning that small towns are actually within reach of each other, so if your visa requires you to live in the country, it feels less isolated 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

So you may know the answer to this - what do the nominating state where you are for the two years do to make sure you're behaving and complying within the terms of the visa?

We had/have a 190 with VIC - they email every three - six months or so with a questionnaire which takes about  2 minutes to fill in, where are you living/are you working in your nominated profession etc etc 

It wasn't an issue for us as i was working in my nominated profession and living in vic anyway. - I got the impression it was more for their stats than confirming compliance, but as Marisa says, it may well have have changed - we met our obligation in 2017, so things may have tightened up since then

On 10/12/2019 at 07:09, Dean0703 said:

Based on the research I had, the state will not do anything to stop you go to other states under 190 as of now. Some say there will be a change in the future, even though the rumor has been going on for years.

I am going to get NSW 190, and planning to move to Melb right after the grant. For NSW, they will send out a non-compulsory email survey after 1 year of the grant. Other than that, nothing else has been implemented to check the person's real location.

The commitment for 190 is mere of a moral one. 

The fact that it is a “moral” obligation does not mean it is not an obligation. The states put time and resource into these programs and they are designed to address local skills shortages. If newly arrived migrants openly ignore the obligation that they have signed up for there are mechanisms available to the Department that could bite you later.

plus - the more this happens, the more the Governments will tighten this program, to the disadvantage of applicants who intend to respect the undertaking they have given to the Country/State that has just welcomed them as a new member of the community. It’s not a great way to pay back the privilege of being granted permanent residence in Australia. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 5

I would have to give it a go in whatever 190 st aye nominated us, if one ever does. If it proved unworkable I would want to involve the state migration department in my position. 

It is so difficult to get permanent residency that the moral weight would be too much! Plus, it is a privilege and this is a process that is only going to get harder and more selective. Like it’s not selective already!