Been in Oz 8 months and struggling - advice please!

samt4

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Not sure how well you actually know Singapore? Great place to visit, know it better perhaps than some, full of expats enjoying an unrealistic life style, not really sustainable as most on short term contracts. Not knocking Singapore as I love it, but prefer real life in Australia.

Similar sort of lifestyle as Dubai for expats though Singapore is far more beautiful and lives up to its name of 'the garden city'.  

Just to chip in for the benefit of new folk looking to emigrate and reading this thread. Perth is a FABULOUS place to live, but yes, it's not for every one. You need to do your homework and compare state to state.

But we don't all like the same food, wear the same clothes, choose the same car, so it's obvious that people will either love Perth or hate it. Same as for every state in Australia and for every county here in the UK, there are areas that suit some, but not others, and all countries have "no go" areas !

Perth is utterly FABULOUS , yes we did leave, because the world is a big place and we want to see and experience more of our world before we die !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toots said:

Similar sort of lifestyle as Dubai for expats though Singapore is far more beautiful and lives up to its name of 'the garden city'.  

Much better lifestyle, much much higher and a lot cheaper, no Muslim laws, more free ...ie you can party and drink openly, hold hands and kiss your partner openly, go to gigs, date and marry local women, get permanent residence and citizenship. Local women can wear skinny tops and mini skirts, bikinis on the beach, snog their boyfriends in front of the cops etc....Singapore is a happening buzzing up to the minute vibrant and free country. Dubai is depressing and too many laws.

11 hours ago, Toots said:

Well funnily enough there aren't bogans with mullets where I live either but I do know they are around.  

Don't even attempt to twist things around with your reference to bitter and angry.   Most posters here know exactly what you are trying to do.  I don't mind constructive posts about areas of Australia be the positive or negative but your posts are just a constant whine about how cr@p your life was in Perth.  😴  We heard you the first time.

Bottom line is, the U.K. is a brilliant country to live in and I will give encouragement to any citizen thinking about coming home and say a welcome home to those who managed to get out of that place. 

3 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

It’s something you get used to, I still go there for work sometimes, it’s much easier to adapt to than dry baking heat of Perth. 

My brother and his English wife and children lived in Thailand for years.  He was a civil engineer and was kept busy with various large contracts there and he occasionally had contracts with the same company in Singapore.  The heat and humidity never seemed to bother him or his family.  The humidity during Sydney summers was awful and I never got used to it hence our move to Tassie when we retired.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

Bottom line is, the U.K. is a brilliant country to live in and I will give encouragement to any citizen thinking about coming home and say a welcome home to those who managed to get out of that place. 

I agree it is a great place to live.  I know quite a few people who have moved back there from Australia, NZ and Canada.  They are thoroughly enjoying life back home.

• Like 1

The UK is a great place to live and work, so is Australia and so is Canada. I think Singapore is good, too- maybe not for long term but certainly for a few years.  Parts of Australia I wouldn't want to live in but I wouldn't be too keen on parts of the UK, either. I don't know Canada well enough to comment.

• Like 1