489 (new 491) Time to enter Australia

Dean0703

Someone with experience of the 489 will have a good idea for this question. Obviously new 491 regs aren’t out yet but for curiosities sake.. 

When a 489 visa was granted what was the timeframe for entering Australia, activating the visa and thus starting to fulfil the two years terms of it. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Dean0703 said:

Someone with experience of the 489 will have a good idea for this question. Obviously new 491 regs aren’t out yet but for curiosities sake.. 

When a 489 visa was granted what was the timeframe for entering Australia, activating the visa and thus starting to fulfil the two years terms of it. 

Cheers. 

I haven't gone down the 489 route, but we did consider it. Our agent said the timeline was as follows:

The "must enter before date" on the VISA will be 12 months from the earliest of the following

1) Your medical test (these are valid for a year)

2) Your police check (again a year validity)

3) Your grant date

So if you get a VISA grant on Jan 1st 2020 you need to be in country by Jan 1st 2021

However if your medicals expire (or police) by June 30th 2020 your "must enter date" will be brought forward to that date instead

(Technically at their discretion - and you can't influence this - they could choose any date but it's almost always in line with the above)

This is why the general concensus is to wait for Meds and Police checks as they essentially start the "must enter" clock running even before you get your grant (there are examples of previous posters who have had 4 days to enter Australia because their med check had been done nearly a year before the visa grant)

Cheers. 

As someone on the 489 when we applied for permanent residency the two years started from the day you can prove you arrived and was living in a regional address

For example we arrived in Melbourne 3rd January flew to Darwin landing 11th January.
Moved into a house 16th January
It basically starts the day you have documentation proving you living there such as a rental agreement etc
We did 2 weeks back in England which comes off our 2 years due to time out of Australia.

So we couldn’t apply until 1st February & by the time you get all your documents, police checks etc our application went in on 27th February.

I can’t say for everyone if that’s the same but hope this helps

6 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

So when you were granted your 489 how long did you have to get yourself in to Australia? 

The 491 regs are already published.  As mentioned by @Ausvisitor, you generally have a year from the date of your medicals or police checks, whichever was completed earliest as a "must enter before" first entry date. The 491 visa itself lasts for 5 years but obviously if you want to turn it into a permanent 191 visa you need to arrive in time to meet the residence requirements for that visa.

6 hours ago, GB537 said:

Hi, my 489 was granted last week. The 'enter by' date on the grant letter was 1 year from the visa grant date, not the police or medical dates which were in September and October this year.

That is very weird. Did the department change it? 

From what I have seen, it is always the earliest of police or medical check date.

4 minutes ago, CivCdn said:

That is very weird. Did the department change it? 

From what I have seen, it is always the earliest of police or medical check date.

I don't know about any changes. It was a direct grant, and that was on the paperwork. My agent was also expecting it to be the date of the police check.

Having got a couple of visas for Australia & spoken to friends who’ve got visas to Australia I’ve never known it to be the police certificate.

Maybe for some it’s police certificate

Your visa when granted says you have a year to enter the country. That date it what’s on your Notification for when your visa runs out whatever visa it may be ie 489.

A police certificate is valid for a year and if the process takes longer then yes you have to re do a police certificate

I can only say from personal experience of visas & chatted to friends all have used the visa grant day and the year that gives you to enter.