You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Parley

The Ice Age is coming.

This is interesting to watch now and a reminder that the scientists are not always right and probably change their minds every few decades or so.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

By 1978,  60%  of the years since the 1940s  had had above average global surface temperatures.    1976 was the last year the global temperature was cooler than the 20th century average

I don't know who sponsored that American video but they can't have been paying attention to the long term data and the scientists who WERE saying even then  "it looks like we might have a warming problem here."

Temperature anomalies  in graph form here:  https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suppose Gretta knows better than spok?

The scientific community she esteems, most certainly know better than Spock/Spok. Rightly so
  • Haha 2

I’ve just watched a short video in which Jeremy Clarkson calls Gretta mad and dangerous and he says she should get back to school and shut up 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, simmo said:

It's much colder this winter than last.

That’s climate change 🥶

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, simmo said:

It is a miserable cold summer in Australia so far. With snow in places too this week.

45 minutes ago, Parley said:

It is a miserable cold summer in Australia so far. With snow in places too this week.

Global warming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

I was out and about yesterday wearing a fleece and a woolie hat.  It was cold.  We are now in summer. 🙄  This morning it's very breezy with clouds scudding across the sky but a bit warmer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:
2 hours ago, Parley said:

"It is a miserable cold summer in Melbourne so far..."  I just fixed that for you. 

Tell that to Perth:   "The past four days turned out to be the hottest spell .. this early in the season in more than 120 years of records."    Weatherzone, 7 December.

So far this summer (1 week 🙄 )  Perth temps are 8 degrees above average,  Brisbane nearly 6,   Sydney 2.  

IIRC you started October and November a bit chilly (like us here in Tasmania) but the whole month was above average by the end.  

And, taken over all weather stations,  Australia has just experienced its hottest and driest spring on record (that's 120 years since records began).

• Like 3

The Ice Age Is Coming...

Thoroughly enjoyed it...liked the squirrel thingo looking for his acorn.and the sloth Chappy.

Not that Ice Age? 

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

It is a miserable cold summer in Australia so far. 

You should move to Brisbane, Parley.  Forecast 39C today.  😀

11 minutes ago, Skani said:

You should move to Brisbane, Parley.  Forecast 39C today.  😀

This year in Melbourne, Summer is on Monday 9th December.

2019-12-07_11-19-45.jpg

21 minutes ago, Parley said:

This year in Melbourne, Summer is on Monday 9th December.

2019-12-07_11-19-45.jpg

Our summer is to start on Tuesday when it will manage to reach 24C.  Thanks for sending the warm weather down to us.  😋

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

Our summer is to start on Tuesday when it will manage to reach 24C.  Thanks for sending the warm weather down to us.  😋

27C t'other night at Downtown Ball Bay. Rose up to 33C.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

I’ve just watched a short video in which Jeremy Clarkson calls Gretta mad and dangerous and he says she should get back to school and shut up

It’s really both funny and ironic when a middle aged c*ckwomble, known for diva strops and assaulting junior staff is so threatened by an educated and erudite 16 year old who had overcome her mental issues.

I guess it’s to be expected, when what she is doing is working. Clearly it is, because people like Jeremy feel the urge to get their bits out (metaphorically speaking) and wave them about to prove who has (or is) the biggest d*ck - on their public speaking platforms as aptly demonstrated by his musings.
  • Like 4

Global warming.

Yep. It doesn’t mean everywhere will get hot equally. It means centuries of established climate patterns in various regions will change, fluctuate and do so very very frequently. Also some parts of the world will loose landmass as sea levels rise, which is already happening in a lot of third world countries and Islands go through already. Some of them in the Pacific and on America and Australia’s door step
  • Like 1

"It is a miserable cold summer in Melbourne so far..."  I just fixed that for you. 
Tell that to Perth:   "The past four days turned out to be the hottest spell .. this early in the season in more than 120 years of records."    Weatherzone, 7 December.
So far this summer (1 week  )  Perth temps are 8 degrees above average,  Brisbane nearly 6,   Sydney 2.  
IIRC you started October and November a bit chilly (like us here in Tasmania) but the whole month was above average by the end.  
And, taken over all weather stations,  Australia has just experienced its hottest and driest spring on record (that's 120 years since records began).

There are a hefty number of bush fires to attest to the drought like tinderbox conditions in NSW, due to lack of precipitation. The smog, smoke and ash isn’t helping with conditions around Sydney and burbs either.

Yes most of the fires were started by arsonists, but the conditions for them to indulge their criminality were not down to the arsonists.

15 minutes ago, ssiri said:

There are a hefty number of bush fires to attest to the drought like tinderbox conditions in NSW, due to lack of precipitation. The smog, smoke and ash isn’t helping with conditions around Sydney and burbs either.

Yes most of the fires were started by arsonists, but the conditions for them to indulge their criminality were not down to the arsonists.

Horrible conditions.  Some of the golf players (Australian Open) complained of stinging eyes and coughing and one player even resorting to wearing a surgical mask.  Not good for asthmatics.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

Horrible conditions.  Some of the golf players (Australian Open) complained of stinging eyes and coughing and one player even resorting to wearing a surgical mask.  Not good for asthmatics.

Yep. I would imagine they are the first affected, but this type of thing is not good for anyone’s lungs. Those directly in the line of fire, and the rest of us in the city.

Never mind the wildlife and habitat destroyed

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Yep. I would imagine they are the first affected, but this type of thing is not good for anyone’s lungs. Those directly in the line of fire, and the rest of us in the city.

Never mind the wildlife and habitat destroyed

It has been catastrophic for wildlife.  Some have been rescued and treated.  The Koala Hospital has received nearly $1 million from donors across Australia and overseas. 

"Birds, possums, turtles, kangaroos and dozens of koalas have been dropped off at Port Macquarie Koala Hospital in recent days. Hospital team leader Gabi Rivett said she had never experienced such a high volume of injured wildlife.

While some koalas are found relatively unscathed but now homeless, others are rushed to the centre with severe burns."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

It’s really both funny and ironic when a middle aged c*ckwomble, known for diva strops and assaulting junior staff is so threatened by an educated and erudite 16 year old who had overcome her mental issues.

I guess it’s to be expected, when what she is doing is working. Clearly it is, because people like Jeremy feel the urge to get their bits out (metaphorically speaking) and wave them about to prove who has (or is) the biggest d*ck - on their public speaking platforms as aptly demonstrated by his musings.

What is a cockwomble. I am unfamiliar with the term

What is a cockwomble. I am unfamiliar with the term

It is a term for a foolish or obnoxious person, in British slang.

Coming up to my 80th year of being Brit, I have never heard of cockwomble either. maybe it's local to the Wimbledon area. 

• Like 2