Living in Darwin

TheDapMan

Hi Everyone,

First time posting on this forum, just thought I’d give a brief introduction of myself.

I moved to Australia when I was young, been an Australian citizen for 14 years now but will always miss home, as we all do. Moved to Brisbane originally and then in 2006 moved to Darwin. If you have any specific questions about anything related to living in working in Darwin please ask! I moved back to Brisbane in 2014 and have missed Darwin ever since. Strongly considering making the move back up north in the New Year.

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @TheDapMan welcome to the forum.

I am another fan of Darwin and I know we have a few other members who also love Darwin. Unfortunately a lot of our members tend to vanish from the forum once they move up there, I use to think they had been eaten by the crocs but I soon found out what a great place it was and they were too busy enjoying the life they had made to come back on.

We have only stayed up there on vacation or whilst my eldest was once at the naval base. My youngest son also went to visit his principal who started one of the new schools up there.

Just done medicals so now waiting on the final part of the visa application - the granting part which they think will be very very soon!

I'm a Registered Manager in a care home working with people with autism and will be looking to move to Darwin CBD or somewhere close. Live in Cornwall England and i love the outdoors like walks and nature, i'm not a thrill seeker just like the chilled life and also the simple life really! 

As a caveat to that a life of a City and a coast appeals and i love Adelaide it's my fav place i visited.

Like to keep fit and go to the gym and spinning classes.

What will it be like for work and the life i want then?! 

Darwin is OK June till about end of August. Then hot, humid and rains a lot.

My son has worked loads of places FIFO and had the best money and decent swing on Inpex. Said it was the worst conditions he's worked in anywhere though and couldn't wait to finish. He managed to save a lot of money though.

Personally I don't mind Darwin for a quick work visit but couldn't live there.

• 6 months later...

Hi!

I'd love some information on what life is like in Darwin. I have been slightly put off by reading that it is quite built up and business like with lots of dangerous insects, haha. Is this right? Are there beaches near by and what is the outdoor lifestyle in general like? My son is 12 and will be 13-14 when we get over (If we do!). We love the outdoor life and to be able to go to the beach on our days off and be around parks etc.

We were hoping to go to QLD, but with my work experience, doubt very much we would get invited.

I am just hoping for a personal view on life in the Northern territory. 

Thank you

5 minutes ago, Maria18 said:

Hi!

I'd love some information on what life is like in Darwin. I have been slightly put off by reading that it is quite built up and business like with lots of dangerous insects, haha. Is this right? Are there beaches near by and what is the outdoor lifestyle in general like? My son is 12 and will be 13-14 when we get over (If we do!). We love the outdoor life and to be able to go to the beach on our days off and be around parks etc.

We were hoping to go to QLD, but with my work experience, doubt very much we would get invited.

I am just hoping for a personal view on life in the Northern territory. 

Thank you

I've been to Darwin during winter and it was very pleasant for a holiday but I wouldn't want to live there.  I dislike heat and humidity and that is what it's like during summer.  The beaches aren't very safe during summer either.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-26/why-are-there-no-stinger-nets-at-darwin-beaches-so-people-swim/9881080