Expression of Interest

arch123

8 minutes ago, arch123 said:

OK. Latest update from my agent. They have suggested a TSS Visa. Any thoughts? How do we go about finding a sponsor? 

A TSS visa will get you 2 to 4 years in Australia and that's that. If you are a couple with no  kids and no ties, it's a good option to have an adventure.   However you shouldn't regard it as a path to migrating permanently.   There is a "pathway"  to be sponsored for PR after you've met certain conditions, but it's only a possibility not a guarantee, and your employer is under no obligation to go through with it, no matter what they promise at the start.

Besides, you are banking on the rules still being the same by the time you're able to apply for PR.  If your occupation has been taken off the list, or the requirements have increased, you won't be able to apply and you'll have to go home.   Considering how fast the rules have been changing recently, three years is a long time so that's a major risk.

You're also insecure all the way through the visa period. You can only stay in Australia while you're employed by that employer.   If you don't like the job, tough - you can't leave unless you can find another sponsor to take over your contract. Unfortunately, employers know you can't leave and some will take advantage of that.  Also, if your employer gets into difficulties and makes you redundant, or the company goes bust, you'll have 90 days to leave the country unless you can find another sponsor (and 90 days isn't much time to achieve that).   I think the worst case scenario we've seen is someone whose company went bust just a few weeks after he arrived in Australia - he couldn't find another sponsor and had to go home.

Your partner will also find it harder to get work, because employers know he/she is totally dependent on your visa, and if you lose your job, they'll lose their employee.

As for finding a sponsor -  you look on Seek for jobs, and apply for them.  But it's very hard these days.   The process is now complex and expensive for employers and they have to open their books to the government, something some employers would rather not do!   For that reason, employers won't sponsor an overseas employee unless they're struggling to hire someone locally.  I don't know what the market is like in your occupation.   

Just to make one point clear:

The TSS is a temporary visa, designed to fill short-term gaps in the labour market in Australia.   The government wants you to go home in the end, but leaves the door open to let you apply to stay (some would say grudgingly) IF you can make a good enough case.

The 491 visa is not a temporary visa, it is a provisional visa. It's designed to push migrants to settle in regional areas of Australia, where it's hard for employers to find local applicants. The theory is that after four years of living out in the country, you'll be so well-settled that you'll stay for good.  So the government actually wants you to apply for the permanent visa at the end. 

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. To be honest i think it is a big challenge to find a sponsor, but I guess its another option.

The 491 is very tempting. I am going to take a look at job opportunities/what its like to live in some of the cities such as Perth and Adelaide. Just a few other questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience of applying for the 491 in these places?

2. Are there any good forums to discuss what its like to live in Perth? Also job opportunities?

3. Would you advise that we submit a separate EOI to our one for 189/190?

Thanks!

I have just had a look on the Western Australia website, and, although Architect (232111) is on the Home Affairs Skilled Occupation List, I don't believe that it is on the Western Australia Nominated Occupation List - unless I am mistaken? Does this mean that we would not be able to apply for the 491? 

https://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-western-australia/occupation lists

1 hour ago, arch123 said:

I have just had a look on the Western Australia website, and, although Architect (232111) is on the Home Affairs Skilled Occupation List, I don't believe that it is on the Western Australia Nominated Occupation List - unless I am mistaken? Does this mean that we would not be able to apply for the 491? 

https://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-western-australia/occupation lists

Pretty much spot on. Has to be on the 491 in order to get it, the SOLs for any other visa are irrelevant. I found that out when I was looking at every state - whilst it’s on every other state migration list, amazingly, secondary or primary teacher isn’t on for WA state sponsored 

1 hour ago, arch123 said:

I have everything crossed for you!! I am going to try and put together a list today of potential places we could get a visa. What visas did you look at? I am going to look at 190 and 491 for each state - but please let me know if there are others!

That’s pretty much. Unless you have enough points for 189 (so difficult to get that one) 

Just remember some states require you to already either work or have a position lined up for 491. 

On 12/01/2020 at 09:47, arch123 said:

Its so frustrating, very surprised that teacher isn't on there. I am going to check out the other states. You have been granted your visa now haven't you Dean0703? 

Very confused what to do next! Any advice welcome.

The harsh reality is that the vast majority of people who'd like to migrate to Australia, can't.  If you are going through all the options and not finding an avenue that works, it is very likely that there isn't one. 

Australia isn't a developing country any more and can produce a reasonable supply of locally-qualified professionals for itself most of the time.  The unemployment rate is much the same as the UK and just like the UK, the government doesn't want to be accused of allowing migrants to "take our jobs",  so they limit migration to a select number of occupations  (the annoying thing is that they are very slow to update the lists to reflect actual demand)

You might think Australia would be actively seeking migrants to grow the economy by developing the vast empty areas of the country. However, most of those areas are unsuitable for urban development as they have inadequate access to water.  There's a growing feeling that our big cities are already over-crowded, hence the government's move to force migrants out into the regional areas.   Like everywhere else in the world, there is right-wing backlash against immigrant communities, and our right-wing government is very sensitive to that, too.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

State registration not required for the purposes of submitting an EOI. Some states your can only register in person on Aussie turf. Others you can do online. 

How many points did you have on your 189 Arch? Those changes in November have done me right out of that one. 

And yes the AITSL is for teaching. 

31 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Remember that as well as your skill assessment, some states require to have local registration as well.

12 minutes ago, arch123 said:

Is this referencing teaching? 

Not specifically - if your profession requires you to be registered in Australia, then it’s often a requirement for nomination and employer sponsored that you have that registration in place.