Moving in Aug 2020

Chiwy

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Just be aware that dental and optical services are quite expensive in Australia.   A routine dental checkup and clean can cost $200.   I recently had two crowns which cost nearly $4,000.    My multi-focal spectacles cost $700.  I have private health insurance so I didn't have to pay those full prices. 

However if you don't wear spectacles and  your teeth are in good condition, then extras cover is probably not worth it.

Oh! Let me read thru the policy of the visitor health insurance again to be sure that they do cover such options at a reasonable costs. 😊 Tks for the info.

32 minutes ago, ByeSg said:

Chiwy, can I get your SG number? Seems I cant PM yet. 

I'm in the same situation as you. 489 granted in Nov and planning the move. 

Let's connect and compare notes!

hey, I just PM you. Let me know if you didn't received. 

On 18/12/2019 at 17:00, Chiwy said:

For oversea health insurance, outpatient fee are covered 100%MBS. I can’t seems to find how much is the MBS rates. The different rates that the insurance provides covers different percentage from 100-150% of MBS.

That's what I thought.  It is easy for people to get confused, because many Australians have private health insurance, but it's very different from the overseas version.

On 18/12/2019 at 14:11, Chiwy said:

I read that we will not be eligible for Medicare despite the new 491 as our visa will still reflect as 489 😩. We are planning to move with our dog and am trying to look for apartment that allows small dog. 

Hi @Chiwy, having a dog in apartment will depend on the body corporate (strata). I live in a new-ish apartment block, and there are two dogs here (one chihuahua and one other type I don't recognise - small-medium size). I think my lease indicates 'small pets' may be permitted with prior consent, or words to that effect.  There is also a small-medium terrier type dog who lives in the apartment block next to us. One of these dogs I mention is on the ground floor with a small garden but the other two only have balconies as outside space.

Edited by vickyplum

14 minutes ago, vickyplum said:

Hi @Chiwy, having a dog in apartment will depend on the body corporate (strata). I live in a new-ish apartment block, and there are two dogs here (one chihuahua and one other type I don't recognise - small-medium size). I think my lease indicates 'small pets' may be permitted with prior consent, or words to that effect.  There is also a small-medium terrier type dog who lives in the apartment block next to us. One of these dogs I mention is on the ground floor with a small garden but the other two only have balconies as outside space.

Oh! That’s is a good news for Chiwy (our princess 😅)!!. May I ask which area are you staying ? Perhaps I can look ard for rental ard there. 

For health insurance avoid Bupa. Very expensive and not good customer support. I suggest the ones that got the highest ratings and reviews by Australian customers like WestFund, CUA and Allianz. I personally used WestFund and Allianz and had no issues with them. 

WestFund have unlimited general dental that helped me a lot. For any major dental work you have to wait at least a year to get any benefits. 

all the best. 

11 minutes ago, zorkor said:

For health insurance avoid Bupa. Very expensive and not good customer support. I suggest the ones that got the highest ratings and reviews by Australian customers like WestFund, CUA and Allianz. I personally used WestFund and Allianz and had no issues with them. 

WestFund have unlimited general dental that helped me a lot. For any major dental work you have to wait at least a year to get any benefits. 

all the best. 

Hi Zorkor,

Thanks for the information! I have read quite a number of bad reviews about Bupa customer service and the claims process. Hence I was looking up Allianz. I will look up WestFunds to do a comparison 😊

2 hours ago, Chiwy said:

Hi Zorkor,

Thanks for the information! I have read quite a number of bad reviews about Bupa customer service and the claims process. Hence I was looking up Allianz. I will look up WestFunds to do a comparison 😊

No worries. For job try large recruitment agencies as they are necessary evil who will help you land a temporary contract that you can use to Gain local experience. Local experience is a must otherwise no one hires you. Really rare for someone new here to get an immediate permanent job. 

Tailor your resume to Australian standards to get that extra advantage. 

On 26/12/2019 at 12:52, zorkor said:

No worries. For job try large recruitment agencies as they are necessary evil who will help you land a temporary contract that you can use to Gain local experience. Local experience is a must otherwise no one hires you. Really rare for someone new here to get an immediate permanent job. 

Tailor your resume to Australian standards to get that extra advantage. 

I realise local experience is important. So far , we have not been receiving good news. Worst case is that we plan to move over and then try to get a part time job or something. Finger cross for now 😊.

On 26/12/2019 at 15:52, zorkor said:

That's not true for every occupation.   Many migrants get a permanent job straight away.  One of the big obstacles is the standard of English.   Australians are not used to dealing with accents, so even if you have fluent English, a strong foreign accent will count against you - employers will worry customers won't understand you. 

On 30/12/2019 at 17:28, Marisawright said:

That's not true for every occupation.   Many migrants get a permanent job straight away.  One of the big obstacles is the standard of English.   Australians are not used to dealing with accents, so even if you have fluent English, a strong foreign accent will count against you - employers will worry customers won't understand you. 

I have fluent accent but was told not having local experience is the reason I and many other migrants will not be able to get permanent jobs. There are those who get permanent jobs but it’s really rare. 

English is not a issue for us as we have all taken the English test as part of the requirement for our visa. We have received some rejection but have no idea what was the reason. 

We have heard that networking is important and it would definitely helps. I recall during the welcome session held by SA, it was highly encouraged to do volunteer work to broaden the networking and opportunity. 

52 minutes ago, Chiwy said:

English is not a issue for us as we have all taken the English test as part of the requirement for our visa. We have received some rejection but have no idea what was the reason. 

We have heard that networking is important and it would definitely helps. I recall during the welcome session held by SA, it was highly encouraged to do volunteer work to broaden the networking and opportunity. 

Volunteer work is the key here. 

1 hour ago, zorkor said:

I have fluent accent but was told not having local experience is the reason I and many other migrants will not be able to get permanent jobs. There are those who get permanent jobs but it’s really rare. 

I can tell by your posts that English is not your first language so maybe you are not quite as fluent as you think