register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Lady Jane

Some advise please?

Hi All, 

Our 143 Application was submitted in March 2016 so hoping to hear in next few months! We want to visit our Daughter and Grandchildren in February 2020 and can imagine that we may be contacted, if we are lucky, while we are in Australia.

My question is can we get our police checks and Medical done before we are contacted so that we are prepared and could submit them whilst in Australia if we are contacted? 

If we can how long are they valid for? We were thinking maybe get them in January before we travel? 

Can I have some advise on what we can prepare beforehand please? 

Many Thanks 

143 Applied 22nd March 2016 Acknowledged 24th March 2016 

Yes you can do them beforehand and they're valid for 1 year.  On a lot of visas (unsure about the 143), the visa grant date usually aligns to either the date of the police check or medical (whichever is earlier) and not the date you get the grant.  e.g. your police check is dated 1st January, but your grant is given in August of the same year.  You get 1 year from the date of the police check (Jan) to make your first entry into Aus … so you have 5 months (and not a year) to make entry.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

They are valid for 12 months from the date you did the medical and the date on the police check. Doesn’t matter when you upload them, those dates remain. Some medicals may only be valid for 6 months if a health undertaking is required for an existing condition. 

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Thank you, do you happen to know the website for police checks, I’m assuming it will be online. And is there a particular company I have to use for medicals? 
I’m in the UK

Edited by Lady Jane

Before you do them, I would get some advice about where you are. The time frames are blowing out and there is little point doing them if you are more than a year from grant. Also, I "believe" if you if you have applied offshore you must be offshore at time of grant. 

• Like 1

The info is on the gov website here

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us/offices-and-locations/list pick a country from the drop down box, for some reason the link doesn’t ‘hold’. 

Basically ACRO police check for immigration and only a few clinics approved to do the medicals in the UK. You can ring round and check for availability and prices for the medicals as they do vary but you must go to a clinic from this list.

The advice generally remains not to do then too soon though, the assurance of support part can take a few months too if you look at the other threads on here.

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Thank you all, most helpful 

Edited by Lady Jane
  • Like 1

You won’t be able to do the medical before receiving the reference number from immi when they contact you. But you can always take the medical exam in Australia if you’re over there at the time.

173 Visa lodged - March 2016

22 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

You won’t be able to do the medical before receiving the reference number from immi when they contact you. But you can always take the medical exam in Australia if you’re over there at the time.

You can generate your own HAP ID from your immi account for most applications without being asked. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation.