You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

jul2019

Getting cheaper rent

Currently paying through the nose for a 3 bed 1 bath rental near Perth. $255 a week is killing my bank balance. Not sure how much longer I can afford these high prices so I've been looking at NRAS rentals. Ideally I want to pay around $500 per month but I don't qualify for NRAS housing. Any ideas how I can lower the rent? 

That sounds cheap to me, but then I'm used to Sydney and Melbourne prices.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, jul2019 said:

Currently paying through the nose for a 3 bed 1 bath rental near Perth. $255 a week is killing my bank balance. Not sure how much longer I can afford these high prices so I've been looking at NRAS rentals. Ideally I want to pay around $500 per month but I don't qualify for NRAS housing. Any ideas how I can lower the rent? 

That is VERY cheap for Perth. Hold on to it if it’s clean and decent.

• Like 1

Left UK 1990 / WA for 28 years / UK / returning Australia April 2020.

It might be cheap to some people but it's not cheap to me. I'll be breaking the lease very soon. $255 a week is high for a 3 bed 1 bath rental. 

2 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

It might be cheap to some people but it's not cheap to me. I'll be breaking the lease very soon. $255 a week is high for a 3 bed 1 bath rental. 

Are you sharing the house?  If not rent out the other 2 bedrooms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

I lived in Perth for many many years, for a three bed two bath, that is a cheap price, unless it is a total dump in a bad area.

Toots has suggested a good idea. 

If you break the lease you will have to pay advertising costs and the rent until it is re let, and that could take some time, and you don’t want to get black listed if you can’t pay those costs.

• Like 1

That's the exact opposite of "paying through the nose"...

I wish I was paying 255 a week for a 3 bedder.

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 2

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

2 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

That's the exact opposite of "paying through the nose"...

I wish I was paying 255 a week for a 3 bedder.

Or even a 2 bedder...

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

3 hours ago, jul2019 said:

Where in Perth?

I doubt you'll find something good cheaper.

26 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Or even a 2 bedder...

A bedsitter would be even better.  👍

Northern Perth. $255 per week is a bit on the steep side.  It's actually against the tenancy agreement to rent out rooms. Not that I would anyway.

3 hours ago, AliQ said:

I lived in Perth for many many years, for a three bed two bath, that is a cheap price, unless it is a total dump in a bad area.

Toots has suggested a good idea. 

If you break the lease you will have to pay advertising costs and the rent until it is re let, and that could take some time, and you don’t want to get black listed if you can’t pay those costs.

It's a very nice area 6 mins from supermarkets. I was told there would be no costs in breaking the lease. Someone has been telling me lies. 

15 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

It's a very nice area 6 mins from supermarkets. I was told there would be no costs in breaking the lease. Someone has been telling me lies. 

In that case, your rent certainly is very cheap.

Your lease agreement should list all charges associated with breaking that lease, if you are renting through an agent that is.

This guy is a troll. On another post they claim they hadn't showered in 6 weeks.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

This guy is a troll. On another post they claim they hadn't showered in 6 weeks.

How on earth am I trolling? I have had 2 washes since I left the UK in mid July. Washing is bad for your skin, it removes all the natural oils which dries out your skin. I'm 49 and have no wrinkles....yet. Why? 1) I cover up in the sun 2) I don't wash very often. Makes a big difference. You should try it. 

Ok. So what suburb is your place in?

I live in Perth and know the suburbs.

I agree, they also said how unhygienic Australians were but I bet every Australian they’ve met has had more than one shower in 6 weeks
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jul2019 said:

Northern Perth. $255 per week is a bit on the steep side.  It's actually against the tenancy agreement to rent out rooms. Not that I would anyway.

That's very cheap for a 3 bed - where in Perth are you?

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

8 hours ago, ali said:

That's very cheap for a 3 bed - where in Perth are you?

He's a troll, probably not even in Australia.