Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

jul2019

Can I refuse a medical?

Recommended Posts

Arrived in Australia in July. Applied for a visa and they gave me a bridging visa which I'm on indefinitely.  I haven't heard back from the immigration lot and i think they still have my passport unless I lost it. I've tried emailing them but all I get is an automated reply. As part of the visa rules I think I'll probably have to take a medical. Can I refuse the medical? There's no way I can have a blood test. Last time I had to take one there was an incident which I'd rather not have happen again. Can I refuse to have blood taken?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

Arrived in Australia in July. Applied for a visa and they gave me a bridging visa which I'm on indefinitely.  I haven't heard back from the immigration lot and i think they still have my passport unless I lost it. I've tried emailing them but all I get is an automated reply. As part of the visa rules I think I'll probably have to take a medical. Can I refuse the medical? There's no way I can have a blood test. Last time I had to take one there was an incident which I'd rather not have happen again. Can I refuse to have blood taken?

You can refuse if you wish.

However a blood test is mandatory for immigration purposes so if you refuse you will be deemed inadmissible.

No one can force you to have a medical, equally Australia is not required to admit you without one either.

If you want in, you have to play within the rules set out

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a problem. As long as they give me time to arrange to leave as I've lost my passport I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

Not a problem. As long as they give me time to arrange to leave as I've lost my passport I think.

If your application is refused, you will generally have 35 days in which to depart. The details will be on the grant letter. 

  • Like 1

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's ok. I'm happy with the application being refused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

That's ok. I'm happy with the application being refused.

Rather than hanging around wondering about the uncertainty, wouldn't it be better to get your new passport organised and then withdraw your visa application, since there's no chance it will be granted?

  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jul2019 said:

Arrived in Australia in July. Applied for a visa and they gave me a bridging visa which I'm on indefinitely.  I haven't heard back from the immigration lot and i think they still have my passport unless I lost it. I've tried emailing them but all I get is an automated reply. As part of the visa rules I think I'll probably have to take a medical. Can I refuse the medical? There's no way I can have a blood test. Last time I had to take one there was an incident which I'd rather not have happen again. Can I refuse to have blood taken?

Surely you remember where your passport is?

No medical, no visa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My short term memory is no good. I found out the immigration people don't have it after emailing them asking if they knew where it was. Turns out my sister has it.

No visa it is then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Rather than hanging around wondering about the uncertainty, wouldn't it be better to get your new passport organised and then withdraw your visa application, since there's no chance it will be granted?

Didn't know you could withdraw an application. What the Australian government want to know is if I'll be a drain on the system. They won't care if I refused a blood test etc. all they care about is the cost. And since I have good health I won't be a drain so why no chance it will be granted?

Edited by jul2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

Didn't know you could withdraw an application. What the Australian government want to know is if I'll be a drain on the system. They won't care if I refused a blood test etc. all they care about is the cost. And since I have good health I won't be a drain so why no chance it will be granted?

The blood test is not done for fun, it is to check whether you have various medical conditions which could cause you to be a drain on the oz medical system. They aren't going to take your word for it, they need the test done as proof.

As above, No medical, no visa. Simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no medical conditions that would drain the system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

I have no medical conditions that would drain the system. 

Like I said, they aren't going to take your word for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jul2019 said:

They might if I offer them $$$$

Well I suppose that's possible, but the number of figures in that offer would have to be in the multiple millions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No medical, no visa, simples!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jul2019 said:

I have no medical conditions that would drain the system. 

Without a blood test you wouldn't know.  Having no symptoms obvious to you doesn't mean you have no medical condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jul2019 said:

Didn't know you could withdraw an application. What the Australian government want to know is if I'll be a drain on the system. They won't care if I refused a blood test etc. all they care about is the cost. And since I have good health I won't be a drain so why no chance it will be granted?

You cannot possibly say you won’t be a drain. Almost everyone appears healthy until they’re not. There are many in their 30’s/40’s that seem the picture of health and then suddenly they have a heart attack or get cancer for example.  It is silly to say it won’t happen. There are also many that have underlying conditions that they’re not aware of and they are only discovered by chance from a blood test for example. People younger than you will have a blood test and it will show they are perhaps diabetic or have some other medical issues. They won’t take your word for it as it would be impossible for you to predict the future.  I guess if you want to stay you’ll take the medical. If you don’t take it you will not get the visa.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×