register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Parley

Is this really summer in Australia ?

So fed up with the cool weather.

Today is the first day of summer and this is the week ahead. 

This is not even an English summer let alone an Australian summer.

2019-12-01_8-38-58.jpg

I want it all, and I want it now.

I'd rather have that than hot weather any day Parley.  It's much the same here and it rained overnight.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toots said:

I'd rather have that than hot weather any day Parley.  It's much the same here and it rained overnight.  

27 or 28 degrees would be nice.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Your question is wrong. It should be "is this really Melbourne's summer?"

Then the answer is: yep, that's Melbourne.

Perth 33 to 38 in the next few days.

• Like 3

Lived in Perth for 18 months. Pingponging back in Juli '15!

Sunshine Coast is warming up nicely 

Brisbane a beautiful 28/29...A bit humid today though and there may be a storm later.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

25 max for me.  😉

We have had 29-32 C over the last 3 weeks. 😎 And 20-25 C every night. Lots more to come, too.

D4ED0F58-A01E-4509-8E3C-30BC48C1BFE4.thumb.jpeg.655889e357c6ee1b674d80622e8dcf6b.jpeg

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

The weather here in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney has been fairly warm, around 28 -31 most days. Its a normal summer with the exception of prevailing smoke haze and the occasional days where raised dusts from western NSW are blown in by strong winds. Everyting has a thin brown covering and we have to close up the house in the warm weather. 

There has been no significant rainfall for some time. The frustrating bit is that storms approach but seem to pass over with little or no rain. 

Several smouldering bush fires are still active in the BM National Park as well. Hopefully we get decent rain in December. Its has not been our best spring/summer period, that's for certain. 

• Like 1

Some people who have never been to Australia think the weather is the same all over the country.  Here is today's weather in Australia.  Huge differences in temperatures.

Adelaide  -  19C

Brisbane  -  33C

Canberra  -  23C

Darwin  -  33C

Devonport (Tas)  -   15C

Hobart  -  19C

Melbourne  -  18C

Perth  -  33C

Sydney  -  25C 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I have family living in Melbourne and they’ve been saying the weathers been terrible. Bad winter and still not much better.  Mid 20’s is perfect for me. It’s cold here, was minus 3.5 yesterday morning when I went out, I had to scrape the windscreen, it was covered in thick ice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I have family living in Melbourne and they’ve been saying the weathers been terrible. Bad winter and still not much better.  Mid 20’s is perfect for me. It’s cold here, was minus 3.5 yesterday morning when I went out, I had to scrape the windscreen, it was covered in thick ice.

Where are you Tulip?

I've been in Tassie for very nearly 6 years now and this is by far the coolest weather for this time of year I can remember so far.  My sister is coming soon and she is expecting the weather to be pleasantly warm so hope it improves.   

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

Where are you Tulip?

I've been in Tassie for very nearly 6 years now and this is by far the coolest weather for this time of year I can remember so far.  My sister is coming soon and she is expecting the weather to be pleasantly warm so hope it improves.   

I’m in the south of England. Although cold, the day was lovely. It was one of those crisp days with the deepest blue sky, bright sunshine and frosty.  I hate grey, wet and windy days so today whilst cold was nice although I’d much prefer a warm, sunny day.

• Like 1

Just now, Tulip1 said:

I’m in the south of England. Although cold, the day was lovely. It was one of those crisp days with the deepest blue sky, bright sunshine and frosty.  I hate grey, wet and windy days so today whilst cold was nice although I’d much prefer a warm, sunny day.

I do so enjoy that sort of weather.  We get mornings like that during the winter here but the frost is gone by 8 or 9.  I remember days in Scotland when the frost lasted all day.  Like living in a fridge.  😉  

For some reason I thought you lived in Australia.

• Like 1

Rain at long last!  Might only last 30 minutes or so but a proper storm and our first measurable rainfall since June.

I know that the forecast is very hot, sunny and windy this week again but hoping this will dampen things down a bit.  Still smells smoky but that smoke is from a long way off I believe. 

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

9 hours ago, FOL said:

Your question is wrong. It should be "is this really Melbourne's summer?"

Then the answer is: yep, that's Melbourne.

Maybe the OP is new to Melbourne?

• Haha 1

London has a lower rainfall than Brisbane and Perth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simmo said:

Rains or should that be drizzles, on more days.  

• Haha 1

Looking back at some photos of temps I had taken of car temp gauge 3 years ago 

it’s about 6-8* cooler this year at same time of year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Maybe the OP is new to Melbourne?

I think he's been there most of his life....and he's no spring chicken.  😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Toots said:

Some people who have never been to Australia think the weather is the same all over the country.

It's not uncommon for a 40+ C difference between extremes at exactly the same time.  Currently the hottest temp. is  42.1 at Derby Airport, W.A. and the coldest is minus 1.6 at Thredbo Top Station, NSW.

Edited by Skani

10 hours ago, Toots said:

Some people who have never been to Australia think the weather is the same all over the country.  Here is today's weather in Australia.  Huge differences in temperatures.

Adelaide  -  19C

Brisbane  -  33C

Canberra  -  23C

Darwin  -  33C

Devonport (Tas)  -   15C

Hobart  -  19C

Melbourne  -  18C

Perth  -  33C

Sydney  -  25C 

Poms are used to small and the same.  Talking to them here over the decades and they really have no idea that Australia is more like a franchise than a country.  Every state and territory are completely different.  

11 hours ago, simmo said:

I can't remember it raining a lot in Perth.  Yes a goodly amount during winter but dry in summer for months   ...............  at least that's how it was when I lived there.  Weather could have changed in 30 years though.

You would expect a fair amount of rainfall in Brisbane    ...............  it is subtropical.   Did you not do geography at school Simmo?  😉

19 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Oh it must be global cooling, obviously 😎

Watched the cricket yesterday. Cold and wet in Adelaide. Thought the cricket fans should be rioting and blaming Scott Morrison for the weather.