Moving back : how to get rid of possessions ?

Red Rose

Hi all,

Just after a bit of guidance.

What is the best way of getting rid of stuff like :

* second hand Ikea furniture (TV stand, desk etc);
* bed;
* fridge;
* sofa

I presume people generally wouldn't buy stuff like that second hand, or would they? If so, what sites would be best, Facebook Marketplace perhaps?

I have thought about using freecycle to perhaps get rid of a bit of stuff, but (although the idea is great) I have read really negative reviews about time wasters.

With stuff that I could probbaly sell such as smart TV sound bar etc, did you guys just arrange for people to come into your house to pick these things up? 

Thank you. :) 

30 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

Hi all,

Just after a bit of guidance.

What is the best way of getting rid of stuff like :

* second hand Ikea furniture (TV stand, desk etc);
* bed;
* fridge;
* sofa

I presume people generally wouldn't buy stuff like that second hand, or would they? If so, what sites would be best, Facebook Marketplace perhaps?

I have thought about using freecycle to perhaps get rid of a bit of stuff, but (although the idea is great) I have read really negative reviews about time wasters.

With stuff that I could probbaly sell such as smart TV sound bar etc, did you guys just arrange for people to come into your house to pick these things up? 

Thank you. 🙂 

We find St Vincent de Paul locally are very grateful for donations and will arrange to collect if you can’t sell, you can give to a good cause. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ramot said:

We find St Vincent de Paul locally are very grateful for donations and will arrange to collect if you can’t sell, you can give to a good cause. 

The Salvation Army too.  All donations gratefully received.  They will pick up.

• Like 2

We are doing OK with Gumtree otherwise lots (and lots and lots) of bags have gone to our local op shop. Quite a bit has gone on Free cycle and we currently have a very large skip on the lawn which is rapidly getting filed with stuff that no one would ever want. We have a local recycling centre which had also done well out of us and a couple of local organisations with particular interests have done well too. Haven't ventured into FB marketplace and time is flying!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

We are doing OK with Gumtree otherwise lots (and lots and lots) of bags have gone to our local op shop. Quite a bit has gone on Free cycle and we currently have a very large skip on the lawn which is rapidly getting filed with stuff that no one would ever want. We have a local recycling centre which had also done well out of us and a couple of local organisations with particular interests have done well too. Haven't ventured into FB marketplace and time is flying!!!

Not an easy time for you. xM

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Nope, it’s happening! Someone coming to look at one of the cars in 20 minutes. 

I keep trying to offload things on our grown up kids. Not having a lot of luck so far. I am beginning to realise how much we have that we don’t need.

Good luck with the car.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ramot said:

I keep trying to offload things on our grown up kids. Not having a lot of luck so far. I am beginning to realise how much we have that we don’t need.

I think that's a common experience. You get to a certain age and you realise you've got all these "treasures" that no one else is going to want.    

I don't have kids and I'm rather glad of that.   I know too many people with an attic full of stuff their mother or father gave them, which they really didn't want, but they got to the point where they'd said "no" to so many things, they were too embarrassed to refuse anything more.

We have loads of stuff, too, which we like but I know will all end up in op shops when we die. Ah well. Some of the china was my great great grandma's and I love it but none of the kids appreciate it. Same with all the ancestry research I have done over the last 20 years- don't think they are interested . Curse on minimalism is all I can say.

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

We have loads of stuff, too, which we like but I know will all end up in op shops when we die. Ah well. Some of the china was my great great grandma's and I love it but none of the kids appreciate it. Same with all the ancestry research I have done over the last 20 years- don't think they are interested . Curse on minimalism is all I can say.

Lol! I’m grooming the grandlets for the FH! And one of them is already interested in wool so that’s my stash sorted!! All the other stuff, you’re right, I’ve waved bye to some stuff from grandparents, rehomed a bit with cousins and generally been quite ruthless! 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

I know over here everything is done via the local FB buy swap sell groups, it’s surprising what actually does sell on there. A lot of the things I would even be embarrassed to take to the tip. Or you get the ads where they will be selling, let’s say, a mattress and it states excellent condition, like new, just as a stain in the middle 😮 Or there was one which I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or scream....Samsung Washing Machine absolutely brand new condition $500 will deliver just needs new drum 🤪😱 

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

This is the sad thing. I’m finding it out already with having 3 boys, one is always packing up and moving on each week, the eldest will always take photos I send and says he as no room for anything else. The youngest is still at home but he shows no interest unless it’s a rock/fossil/mineral in fact that is the only thing he as shown an interest in

Facebook buy and sell is the best place I've found to sell stuff you don't need. I always seem to get a good response when posting items. I pick and choose who I sell to though. Anyone who looks dodgy I delete. I think you know the type I'm talking about.

Edited by jul2019

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 12:14, Red Rose said:

Hey guys did you ship or sell your smart TV’s. Also will TV’s bought in Oz (mine is a Samsung) work in the UK?

Australia and Europe use the same standards and tuners for TV. American would be no. Obviously you'd need either a plug adpater or purchase a new cord with UK plug on the end, but that's all, just factory reset TV and then when you use it in the UK tune it /update firmware if required and off you go. I'm not bothering with mine simply because it's an older smart TV and need an upgrade anyway 🙂 

On 22/12/2019 at 01:14, Red Rose said:

Hey guys did you ship or sell your smart TV’s. Also will TV’s bought in Oz (mine is a Samsung) work in the UK?

We’re in the UK returning to Aus 2020, so going the other way. We have a brand new smart Sony TV.
I emailed Sony to ask if it would work in Australia (once plug changed) they told me no, it would not work despite the “work arounds” that some people discussed.
Just thought I’d pass this on. Not going to risk shipping our TV now.

38 minutes ago, AliQ said:

We’re in the UK returning to Aus 2020, so going the other way. We have a brand new smart Sony TV.
I emailed Sony to ask if it would work in Australia (once plug changed) they told me no, it would not work despite the “work arounds” that some people discussed.
Just thought I’d pass this on. Not going to risk shipping our TV now.

Apparently all you need to do is set TV region to Germany and it will work in Australia? 

https://www.perthpoms.com/topic/13296-will-my-uk-tv-work-in-australia/

Edited by Vickie78

3 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

Apparently all you need to do is set TV region to Germany and it will work in Australia? 

I’ve heard that too. Sony told me though that “that work around” does not always work. It depends where you live in Australia and the type of transmitters used in that area etc. I’m not risking it and wasting money to ship, I’ll buy a new one when we get there. Also, I’m not that tech savvy so not going to mess around with ‘top boxes” etc etc.