Suggestions of items to bring from the UK?

Wanderer Returns

Since my last post I accepted the job in Brissie and I've booked my flight, which arrives mid-Jan - woohoo!

Apart from my personal effects are there any suggestions for items that are particularly expensive in Australia, which I should definitely consider bringing with me?

Many thanks is advance.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
grammar

It's not just the expense you need to consider - it's time. 

When we moved to the UK a few years ago, we left most of our stuff in storage, because we weren't sure if we were making the right move (we weren't, as it turns out - but that's another story).  We weren't worried about the cost of re-equipping our home, but I hadn't bargained for the stress involved. 

It took an unreasonable amount of time to buy all the small stuff.  Crockery, glassware, cutlery, towels, pillows, duvet, sheets, cushions, pots, pans, casseroles, storage containers, utensils, kitchen appliances....try doing a trial shop at somewhere like PetersofKensington.com.au (for the quality stuff) or Target.com.au (if you're not fussy) and see how long it takes you and how much it costs!    

It wasn't just the time, though.  When you stock your kitchen or linen cupboard, you build it up over a long period, finding just the right wok or teapot or whatever.  When you have to buy the whole lot at once, being fussy takes too much time - you end up thinking "That'll do", and then you  have a kitchen full of second-best.   I'm not the only person here who regrets leaving behind their perfectly seasoned grill pan or right-sized casserole or good toaster. 

Furniture was also a hassle. We discovered that nobody (except IKEA) keeps much furniture in stock any more.  You choose the lounge suite or dining table you like, then they order it in  - they'll say it takes four weeks but it's more like six, because most of it is made overseas and has to be shipped.   And of course, we didn't start looking for furniture in the first week, there's too much else to worry about. You may end up having to settle for whatever they have in stock.  If you or your partner are particular about the interior design of your home, that may be an issue.  

If I had to do it again, I would definitely use a medium Movecube and ship all the small stuff, plus whatever larger items I could squeeze in.  I'd send it off a few weeks before we left, keeping back just enough bits and pieces to survive for the remaining time. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's not just the expense you need to consider - it's time. 

When we moved to the UK a few years ago, we left most of our stuff in storage, because we weren't sure if we were making the right move (we weren't, as it turns out - but that's another story).  We weren't worried about the cost of re-equipping our home, but I hadn't bargained for the stress involved. 

It took an unreasonable amount of time to buy all the small stuff.  Crockery, glassware, cutlery, towels, pillows, duvet, sheets, cushions, pots, pans, casseroles, storage containers, utensils, kitchen appliances....try doing a trial shop at somewhere like PetersofKensington.com.au (for the quality stuff) or Target.com.au (if you're not fussy) and see how long it takes you and how much it costs!    

It wasn't just the time, though.  When you stock your kitchen or linen cupboard, you build it up over a long period, finding just the right wok or teapot or whatever.  When you have to buy the whole lot at once, being fussy takes too much time - you end up thinking "That'll do", and then you  have a kitchen full of second-best.   I'm not the only person here who regrets leaving behind their perfectly seasoned grill pan or right-sized casserole or good toaster. 

Furniture was also a hassle. We discovered that nobody (except IKEA) keeps much furniture in stock any more.  You choose the lounge suite or dining table you like, then they order it in  - they'll say it takes four weeks but it's more like six, because most of it is made overseas and has to be shipped.   And of course, we didn't start looking for furniture in the first week, there's too much else to worry about. You may end up having to settle for whatever they have in stock.  If you or your partner are particular about the interior design of your home, that may be an issue.  

If I had to do it again, I would definitely use a medium Movecube and ship all the small stuff, plus whatever larger items I could squeeze in.  I'd send it off a few weeks before we left, keeping back just enough bits and pieces to survive for the remaining time. 

Hi Marisa, thanks for the advice - you are forever helpful!

I'm heading out on my own initially while my wife stays in the UK. My job finished in September but she's still working, and she will be here for house viewings and to take care of anything this end. Like you, were a little uncertain about the move so I'm going to give it a term at the school and see how it works out, before we ship our belongings. I will just rent a room during this time. If works out then we're just going to bite the bullet and ship the lot - apart from the vacuum cleaner and garden equipment - which are a no-no apparently.

I was really thinking about items to buy here in the UK that are particularly expensive in Australia - like electrical and electronic items, for instance?

16 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Since my last post I accepted the job in Brissie and I've booked my flight, which arrives mid-Jan - woohoo!

Apart from my personal effects are there any suggestions for items that are particularly expensive in Australia, which I should definitely consider bringing with me?

Many thanks is advance.

If you're treating it as a trial, then K-Mart is your best friend. Their returns policy is pretty good though.

Plus it saves you the hassle of buying UK-AU adaptors.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DukeNinja said:

If you're treating it as a trial, then K-Mart is your best friend. Their returns policy is pretty good though.

Plus it saves you the hassle of buying UK-AU adaptors.

Thanks for the heads up. I've already got my UK-AU adaptors - they are as cheap as chips over here, whereas I recall they're pretty pricey in Oz.

Blimey I hope vacuum cleaners are allowed, we are taking our stick Dyson! For us its going to be a cube full of books, wool, tools and family memorabilia along with a bike and probably the ironing board because it is new and it will fit. We were thinking of the new under bench freezer and possibly tumble dryer but we might be struggling for weight although the volume is looking easy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, calNgary said:

Vacuum cleaners are ok if you have the patience to strip them down to get them grime and dust free before attempting to ship.

Cal x

We inherited our vac from my mum. A Sebo, 15-20 years old an it's still going strong, so it doesn't owe us anything. The shipping agent said if you buy anything new then throw away the box and scuff it up a bit to make it used, or you could get stung for duties etc 🙂

My Sebo finally died. They are a very expensive brand here so we replaced it with a Hoover. 
Tbh if you are wedded to a particular European brand then check the prices here as many cost much more. Although guarantees are rarely transferred so it can be an issue.  Unless you buy from COSTCO. We had a one year old coffee machine from Costco UK. We didn’t have the receipt but they checked with the UK system using our membership number and promptly refunded the cash!  Love Costco for this. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

We inherited our vac from my mum. A Sebo, 15-20 years old an it's still going strong, so it doesn't owe us anything. The shipping agent said if you buy anything new then throw away the box and scuff it up a bit to make it used, or you could get stung for duties etc 🙂

Just taking it out of the box should be ok, when they say you get pulled at customs for new stuff, they are more looking for someone with 10 Tvs etc so obviously for re sale. Quite a few families i know and have read on here have shipped a new item or two removed from packing, and never had an issue so if your doing that you should be fine.

Cal x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't bring what I brought it. Luckily customs officers didn't open my suitcase. I'd probably have been either jailed or sent back to the UK if they have found my "items" lol

Cleaning stuff is more expensive here although it's cheaper at Aldi. 225 disinfectant wipes $10 Woolworths, $2.99 at Aldi. But generally they are more expensive here. Monster Munch are more expensive too, if you can find them.

• Haha 1

On 02/12/2019 at 16:04, jul2019 said:

Don't bring what I brought it. Luckily customs officers didn't open my suitcase. I'd probably have been either jailed or sent back to the UK if they have found my "items" lol

Cleaning stuff is more expensive here although it's cheaper at Aldi. 225 disinfectant wipes $10 Woolworths, $2.99 at Aldi. But generally they are more expensive here. Monster Munch are more expensive too, if you can find them.

Ta for that! I didn't realize that Aldi had arrived in Australia. I've just googled it and there is a store close to where I'll be working.

My love affair with Monster Munch ended when I was about 11, but you never know what you're going to miss until you can't get it! 🙂

We shipped everything that we could survive without for 2-3 months whilst the container was on the ship - if it was essential we decided to replace.  Things worth looking at buying if you don't already have (and quickly use so they appear used) is energy efficient washing machine and tumble drier.  They are expensive here, and electricity is also very expensive.  We had a fairly inefficient drier in the UK so upgraded to a heat-pump drier which is super efficient.  In the UK we paid £350, in Oz they start at $1400.   

Things we took with: 1x TV, + TV storage unit, Fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, quality kitchenware (my wife loves to cook so we took the expensive stuff with), 1x bunk bed, tools, memorabilia, clothes, bikes, 2x good sofas

Things we would need immediately and replaced on arrival: 1x bunk bed (we have 2 kids - they shared bunk until the 2nd arrived and then each got their own bunk bed), bed & bedroom furniture for us, 1x sofa, cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, 1x TV & storage unit, office furniture (I work from home).

We also bought cheap washing machine and fridge off Gumtree ($50 each) to see us through until our stuff from the UK arrived. 

KMart is a good place to get stuff relatively inexpensively.

The rest of the household/garden furniture we replaced slowly over 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes but we don’t use our drier anywhere near as much, only in the winter and even then I can still hang out most weeks, even in the Adelaide hills!  Shopping around here you can save loads. We bought a new drier last winter from appliances on line just as cheap as we could have done in the UK.  Delivered unpacked and took old machine within 2 days, what’s not to like!

• Like 1

Just now, rammygirl said:

Yes but we don’t use our drier anywhere near as much, only in the winter and even then I can still hang out most weeks, even in the Adelaide hills!  Shopping around here you can save loads. We bought a new drier last winter from appliances on line just as cheap as we could have done in the UK.  Delivered unpacked and took old machine within 2 days, what’s not to like!

We're in Melbourne so its a coin-toss if you can hang your laundry up outside and leave it there whilst at work and not have it rained on (with rain full of desert sand) 🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ABG said:

We're in Melbourne so its a coin-toss if you can hang your laundry up outside and leave it there whilst at work and not have it rained on (with rain full of desert sand) 🤣

That's true, but I've got one of those indoor drying racks and everything dries very quickly on it.  Not like Scotland where you hang stuff indoors and it's still damp the next day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ABG said:

We shipped everything that we could survive without for 2-3 months whilst the container was on the ship - if it was essential we decided to replace.  Things worth looking at buying if you don't already have (and quickly use so they appear used) is energy efficient washing machine and tumble drier.  They are expensive here, and electricity is also very expensive.  We had a fairly inefficient drier in the UK so upgraded to a heat-pump drier which is super efficient.  In the UK we paid £350, in Oz they start at $1400.   

Things we took with: 1x TV, + TV storage unit, Fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, quality kitchenware (my wife loves to cook so we took the expensive stuff with), 1x bunk bed, tools, memorabilia, clothes, bikes, 2x good sofas

Things we would need immediately and replaced on arrival: 1x bunk bed (we have 2 kids - they shared bunk until the 2nd arrived and then each got their own bunk bed), bed & bedroom furniture for us, 1x sofa, cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, 1x TV & storage unit, office furniture (I work from home).

We also bought cheap washing machine and fridge off Gumtree ($50 each) to see us through until our stuff from the UK arrived. 

KMart is a good place to get stuff relatively inexpensively.

The rest of the household/garden furniture we replaced slowly over 6 months.

@ABG that's brilliant feedback - thanks for taking the time. We have quite an old washer/dryer which we both love although I don't think it'll last too much longer as it must be almost 15 years old already. Maybe it would be a good idea to replace it with an energy efficient unit before we ship. We also have a Smeg dishwasher which was in the house when we bought it, but I'm thinking of taking that with us as it could be very handy. I lived in Brisbane for 3 years before I don't remember ever using a drier, so I think that would be surplus to requirements.

On 01/12/2019 at 03:05, Quoll said:

Blimey I hope vacuum cleaners are allowed, we are taking our stick Dyson! For us its going to be a cube full of books, wool, tools and family memorabilia along with a bike and probably the ironing board because it is new and it will fit. We were thinking of the new under bench freezer and possibly tumble dryer but we might be struggling for weight although the volume is looking easy.

We brought our vac and garden stuff - but left the dishwasher as it was integral 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 09:03, ali said:

We brought our vac and garden stuff - but left the dishwasher as it was integral 

I also thought that our dishwasher was integral - it fits into the unit so well - but the shipping agent said they can be removed like any other white goods. I'm not sure what kind of a hole it will leave behind though!

Guest The Pom Queen
On 03/12/2019 at 02:04, jul2019 said:

@jul2019 tell me more, you have me intrigued lol 😂 

Guest The Pom Queen

Socks, shoes, coat hangers (yes you have to buy them here). Are you bringing a container? To be honest we didn’t bother, but I do regret it as you don’t realise how much you really have until you have to replace everything.