North to South

Cost of Medication

Hello,

I'd like some guidance on how the cost of prescribed medication works in Australia and what the most cost effective way is to obtain medication.  I have to use 2 inhalers for Asthma along with 3 other types of medication for minor ailments each day.  In the UK I have these on a prepayment so it costs about £9 a month and I want to work out how much roughly I'd have to pay each month in Australia and also whether 'bulk billing' (not sure how this works) is the best way to go.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Bulk billing applies only to appointments with a medical  practitioner - not to the price of medication.

The cost will depend on the exact medication prescribed for you:  some are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), for others you have to pay full price.

Also not fixed prescription charges. Depends on the pharmacy. Chemist warehouse are usually cheapest and you can look on line at their prices. If the cost of medication is high their is a cap. The Medicare website should have more specific info.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

There is a PBS threshold which you can register for (this changes yearly), once you reach the threshold you pay a reduced rate.  You will be charged per item and if eg. you are on a dose which is 150mg and that is supplied in 100mg tablets and 50mg tablets - you will pay for both doses of tablets.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

One of my medications the dose is 20mg tab per day - the Doctor gives me a script for 80mg tablets so I quarter them.  Likewise, my 500mg tablet he writes script for 1000mg and I halve them.

• Like 1

143 Application Lodged 24th June 2014; Acknowledgement 6th February 2015; Form 80, Police Checks & Medical requested 21st Sept 2016; AOS Lodged 29th November 2016; 2nd VAC paid 16th December 2016; VISA GRANTED 20th December 2016.

Heading to Wollert "The place where possums are found", Victoria (eventually)

"Eventually" has become a reality - at long last the house is sold, the car is spoken for, the Movecube is coming on 19th September and I'll be heading Down Under on 21st via Royal Brunei.  Arrive in Mebourne 3.30 a.m. their time on Monday.  😎

On 16/03/2020 at 13:20, Sadge said:

One of my medications the dose is 20mg tab per day - the Doctor gives me a script for 80mg tablets so I quarter them.  Likewise, my 500mg tablet he writes script for 1000mg and I halve them.

Yes this is a very good idea and sometimes the higher dose can even be cheaper. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On 16/03/2020 at 13:20, Sadge said:

Be careful doing that - particularly with diabetes medications. Also, enteric coated mads shouldn't be halved or quartered.

• Like 1