Cost of Medication

North to South

Hello,

I'd like some guidance on how the cost of prescribed medication works in Australia and what the most cost effective way is to obtain medication.  I have to use 2 inhalers for Asthma along with 3 other types of medication for minor ailments each day.  In the UK I have these on a prepayment so it costs about £9 a month and I want to work out how much roughly I'd have to pay each month in Australia and also whether 'bulk billing' (not sure how this works) is the best way to go.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Bulk billing applies only to appointments with a medical  practitioner - not to the price of medication.

The cost will depend on the exact medication prescribed for you:  some are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), for others you have to pay full price.

There is a PBS threshold which you can register for (this changes yearly), once you reach the threshold you pay a reduced rate.  You will be charged per item and if eg. you are on a dose which is 150mg and that is supplied in 100mg tablets and 50mg tablets - you will pay for both doses of tablets.

• 3 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 16/03/2020 at 13:20, Sadge said:

One of my medications the dose is 20mg tab per day - the Doctor gives me a script for 80mg tablets so I quarter them.  Likewise, my 500mg tablet he writes script for 1000mg and I halve them.

Yes this is a very good idea and sometimes the higher dose can even be cheaper. 

• 3 months later...
On 16/03/2020 at 13:20, Sadge said:

One of my medications the dose is 20mg tab per day - the Doctor gives me a script for 80mg tablets so I quarter them.  Likewise, my 500mg tablet he writes script for 1000mg and I halve them.

Be careful doing that - particularly with diabetes medications. Also, enteric coated mads shouldn't be halved or quartered.

• Like 1