The truth about Australia's immigration policies

jack13

What a sad story, but I don't think it's the Immigration Minister's fault. 

The mother says, ""If Australia doesn't want certain people they should make it clear, instead of keeping people hanging on."    Well, they do make it clear.   It was perfectly clear to this young man five years ago - he just refused to accept it.    The article said he did "course after course" - not so he could qualify for PR, just so he could keep getting student visas.  

Then he met a woman who was willing to sponsor him, but given how desperate he was to get PR, who knows how genuine that relationship was (I thought it was telling that he said he had to "stay close to his sponsor" until he got the visa, not "I can't bear to leave my girlfriend").  

Even his mother said he had other issues that contributed to his suicide.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, jack13 said:

Sounds pretty dry cut to me. Rest in peace.

In what way?  The guy knew five years ago that he couldn't get a skilled visa.  Instead of accepting that and going home, (where he could have retrained to qualify for a PR visa), he's spent the last five years trying to get around the system with student visas and finally a partner visa.  HE chose to bash his head against a brick wall and waste all that time and money, knowing he had only a slim chance of ever getting a PR visa.   What a shame, but neither he nor his mother can claim the rules, in his particular case, weren't clear.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well if he had just been allowed to stay, he'd be alive now. If things were like they were years ago. Sadly a 34 year old man is now dead, I dont think there's any excuses here. I wonder how many other cases there are? Be interesting to know. People are always talking about Mental health  these days, but no one seemed to be able to help this man out. So very sad.

Also strange only ABC reported his death and not any of the national newspapers, a cover up surely. Sounds as though brainwashing the public is their agenda.

Edited by jack13
  • Like 1

Yes it's a sad story but he must have been aware of his visa situation.  Sounds like he had problems with mental health issues and this debacle tipped him over the edge.  Rules are rules - no exceptions.  I do feel sorry for his Mum losing her son like this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes it's a sad story but he must have been aware of his visa situation.  Sounds like he had problems with mental health issues and this debacle tipped him over the edge.  Rules are rules - no exceptions.  I do feel sorry for his Mum losing her son like this.

I suppose you better tell her that, doubt its any consolation. Imagine if it was your son.

6 minutes ago, jack13 said:

Well if he had just been allowed to stay, he'd be alive now. If things were like they were years ago. Sadly a 34 year old man is now dead, I dont think there's any excuses here. I wonder how many other cases there are? Be interesting to know. People are always talking about Mental health  these days, but no one seemed to be able to help this man out. So very sad.

Lots of people have to return to their country of origin for one reason or another.  I don't think many will kill themselves over it.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jack13 said:

I suppose you better tell her that, doubt its any consolation. Imagine if it was your son.

I don't need to tell her. She said herself that there were other factors.   What I hate is when people who are not involved in the tragedy, deliberately distort the story to get headlines. 

A better story would've talked about how unwise it is for people to wear themselves out trying to cheat the immigration system.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jack13 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-22/grieving-mother-calls-time-on-drawn-out-visa-process/10544626

In my mind the foreign minister should be charged with his murder.

Why's that Jack. There's rules and regulations for everyone that applies and you have to meet the criteria. You can't just expect to come in on a student visa, working holiday visa or whatever and expect you will be granted permanent residency just because you love the place and don't want to go back. 

You would have to delve deeper into the story and find out why he was so depressed. Lots of people get turned down and have to go back, lots more apply from the UK and never get in. They all don't get depressed and commit suicide. 

My Sister and family applied years ago, BIL was in the police, they put their lives on hold for over a year. Eventually got invited to the embassy in London for a talk from visiting Aussie police. They thought they were in, only to be told they were in a "pool" of applicants but would be taken next recruitment cycle. Never happened. Cost them a fortune for medicals, trips to London, paperwork. 

Eventually they had to get on with their lives in the UK.

It's a tragic story and horrible for everyone involved but you can't just let people stay 'cos they love the place.

Sounds like he had a pretty good run here and had exhausted every avenue he could to stay. Surely the UK can't be that bad.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, jack13 said:

You're being abrasive and unfair to posters. It's a tragic and sad story which nobody has questioned. But if you only want to hear from people that agree with you it's probably worth considering the wisdom of posting on a public forum

• Like 9

The poor guy. He would have known that he didn’t meet the strict criteria but didn’t want to face reality. I do feel sorry for his family.  I hope a migration agent didn’t give him false hope? Reputable ones will not even submit an application if they think it will be declined.
Waiting for PR approval is an extremely anxious time. Your life is put on hold and you don’t know if you’ll be allowed to live in Oz next month or if your still be in limbo waiting for a decision. If they could give a fair time frame for a decision, once an application is submitted ( ideally say 3 months? ) it would help a lot of people’s mental health I’m sure. 

• Like 1

Not the fault of any minister. He tried to game the system and failed. It sounds like maybe his parents should have insisted that he return home with them to get well mentally and work on getting himself a skill that could result in a permanent visa but hindsight is perfect vision unfortunately and he was old enough to lie in the bed he'd made. People do have to realise that just "wanting" to live in Australia doesn't mean you can. It's not Australia's fault.

• Like 6

Sad though this case is, he didn’t wait 5 years for his immigration application to be refused. It sounds from the newspaper article that he came on a WHV, as that would be the only way he could work here and while on the WHV he worked as a painter decorator. Otherwise he was working illegally. We don’t know his background, whether he was qualified as a painter decorator or had any skills on immigration list, which is why he probably went the incredibly expensive student visa route. You have to wonder how he could afford if. To be honest the facts don’t add up. Had to stay near his sponsor? work or potential partner? Or an international student?

It appears he tried many ways to gain PR but the article doesn’t give any information about which visa he applied for, when he applied or if he was even eligible. 

As usual we only hear the emotive side of a story, not the full facts.

It is a fact of life that just because you want to move to another country, you can’t if you aren’t eligible. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, renebascossarabi said:

Instead of immigration. Why wont white Australians, you know, make families? I come from a Spanish colonized country and white people are held idral thats why theres a policy called
Blanqueamiento - instead Australia is doing the reverse.

Care to translate?

2 minutes ago, renebascossarabi said:

Blanquiamento means whitening in Spanish. The progressive Westernizing of an Indigenous people not via genocide but by mixing but it only works if there is a constant flow of whiteness like how a stream washes away impurities while mixing a solution without a constrant stream will only muddy the waters.

Careful mate, almost sounds like you are calling anyone non white as impurities.

Aus gets enough bad press for having a "white Australia" policy at one time. Never officially called that BTW but leftists and PC brigade love to bash on about it.

I reckon that's why Aus is still a good place to come and live.

• Like 1

I am non-white myself. Only my Mom was a half Mestiza basically already 1/4rth Hispanic and my dad's side are Morsicos who mixed with Mexicans who migrated to the Philippines (Morsicos are "tamed muslims" in the Spanish term its a diminiutive of "Moro", Moor, descended from Arab or African Muslims who accepted Christian baptism and mixed with Caucascians when the native European Spanish Reconquered their lands and repopulated the wartorn Peninsula from the Almohad Caliphate) These tamed Muslims and Mozarabs, Spaniards knowledgable in Arabic and Islam where very instrumental in Westernizing the Philippines which had a population that was partially Muslim and partially Hindu or Pagan. Ironic how both Christian Spaniards and Hindu or Pagan Filipinos both hated Muslims but they can only communicate to each other in a common Arabic tounge they learned from their former invaders.

Dont worry they wont care to cast me as an anti brown Nazi because I myself am brown. I am just speaking the truth.

7 hours ago, renebascossarabi said:

Instead of immigration. Why wont white Australians, you know, make families? 

Because, in case you hadn't noticed,the world is already over-populated.  There are people who say Australia already has enough people anyway, since most of the country is desert.

Also it is cheaper for a country like Australia to import people who are old enough to work, instead of waiting for them to be educated and grow up.

• Like 1

Because, in case you hadn't noticed,the world is already over-populated.  There are people who say Australia already has enough people anyway, since most of the country is desert.

Also it is cheaper for a country like Australia to import people who are old enough to work, instead of waiting for them to be educated and grow up.

Are you a dumb leftist Commie Tree Hugger? The gift of human sentient existence is many times better than not causing people to exist. The more souls who get to experience life the better, even when its a life of pain at least you feel sensations and not just be a gaping void.

Andddd puhhhlleeease hon. Stop your virtue signaling on me, you should tell the Indians and Chinese to be the ones to control their populations since Europeans are the global minority and a shrinking one at that, and your features arent even dominant theyre recessive.

If it were up to me rarer types of people like Aboriginal Australians, Blonde Melanesians and Native Americans who survived genocide as well as the shrinking European population, should breed more and not let us fecund Asians flood the world with our Mass Produced Clone Populace.

1 hour ago, renebascossarabi said:

I am non-white myself. Only my Mom was a half Mestiza basically already 1/4rth Hispanic and my dad's side are Morsicos who mixed with Mexicans who migrated to the Philippines (Morsicos are "tamed muslims" in the Spanish term its a diminiutive of "Moro", Moor, descended from Arab or African Muslims who accepted Christian baptism and mixed with Caucascians when the native European Spanish Reconquered their lands and repopulated the wartorn Peninsula from the Almohad Caliphate) These tamed Muslims and Mozarabs, Spaniards knowledgable in Arabic and Islam where very instrumental in Westernizing the Philippines which had a population that was partially Muslim and partially Hindu or Pagan. Ironic how both Christian Spaniards and Hindu or Pagan Filipinos both hated Muslims but they can only communicate to each other in a common Arabic tounge they learned from their former invaders.

Dont worry they wont care to cast me as an anti brown Nazi because I myself am brown. I am just speaking the truth.

So as well as all the mixed race stuff you have the worse complication of mixed religions. You only have to look at Ireland to see how people of the same colour and background can't get on because of brainwashing by either protestant or catholic religions.

Religion has a lot to answer for.

Like marissa says, the world is already overpopulated and instead of blaming climate change on CO2 in the atmosphere we would have been fine to cut back on birth rates 100 years ago.

• Like 1