Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

PickledRic

Secondary School Teacher 190/491

Recommended Posts

Hi Everybody!

 

I've been browsing this site for a loooooong time and it's been so useful throughout the whole process of trying to get to Oz! I figured it was finally time to share my story so far and hear from other prospective or successful secondary school teacher migrators!

 

My partner is the main applicant; points breakdown are as follows:

 

age: 28 - 30 points

work experience: 5 years - 10 points

qualifications: BA and PGCE - 15 points

English competency: Superior - 20 points

Partner: competent English (no assessable skills) - 5 points

 

Total = 80 points

 

We have a positive skills assessment from AITSL and applied for the 189 in April/May time this year. Unfortunately we had 75 points at that time and the invites just weren't coming in for the 75 pointers and since the rule changes in November, we had to manually update the EOI and lost the initial date etc. and still are very unlikely to get an invite on the 189 with 80 points.

 

So; we've now gone for the 190 and 491. We managed to apply for QLD for both when it briefly opened yesterday, we have 85 points for the 190 and 95 points for the 491. We are not using a MARA agent, I've done the work myself and have found the process to be very complex but can understand most of it with it enough research - I have dedicated a stupid amount of hours to this!

 

We're currently awaiting registration with QLD college of teachers but expect this to go through without a hitch so I'm feeling hopeful we'll get invited eventually but no idea when!

 

Just wanted to share where we are at currently and if anyone else is in the same boat?

It's a little frustrating as when we first started working on applying beginning of 2018 we would have gotten there no problem with our points and things have changed so quickly since then. But, staying hopeful and positive 🙂

 

Would love to share the journey with other people!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very similar to yourself, have submitted skills assessments to AITSL - how long did this take for your partner?

More or less what you've put above is the same as me except I'm a couple of years older and have a years less experience. This will go up while the EOI is in and would add 5 further points. My wife is also a teacher so this gives extra points. 

So with the EOI valid for two years we will sit around 80-85 points.

Not using a migration agent either. If you read everything a few times and take all gospel from the Immi website I don't think you can go wrong. Our intention is to go to NSW, so will submit for 189, 190 and 491. 190 for NSW is a sticky wicket as secondary teacher requires you to have worked a year in NSW or you can't apply. My wife's qualification is in early Childhood teaching and primary.

So it's a wait and see but with the points we have it should be enough to get a desirable visa and permanent residency. He says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dean0703, if I remember correctly our AITSL assessment took about 10 weeks, and if I'm honest the frustrating bit was waiting for it to actually arrive at the postal address in Australia; it took about 2/3 weeks for it to actually get there... 

 

We had a look at agents and did get some advice from a reputable one but in the end decided to forgo the huge cost associated with it; I have a very flexible job so I can spend a lot of time researching things fortunately and I've basically dedicated all my spare time to it, it's pretty interesting once you start I think! I don't hesitate to ask for advice though if I feel stuck with something, it's like a minefield navigating everything.

 

I'm feeling pretty confident that secondary school teachers with relatively high points will be invited; particularly as some states have removed a lot of pro-rata occupations from their skills list which opens up the quotas for other skilled roles.

 

Is NSW your goal state? anywhere in particular you were thinking of going?  We haven't really considered anywhere specific at the moment; we want to travel for a bit before we settle into the sponsor state first anyway so I imagine it'll be a case of wherever there is work!

 

I get so excited about it and then a little stressed and anxious and then back to excited, it's such a rollercoaster of emotions it's exhausting haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have family and friends spread across NSW either side of Sydney but no desire to live in a city, a good 30+ miles out in the suburbs will do me fine. And if I have to go and live in another state as a means to an end then so be it.

What postal address in Australia do you refer to? I was under the impression it would have arrived in a downloadable format on their portal. 

If it takes 10 weeks then fine, I am timing things to allow for maximum points and the EOI not running out before they would go down due to age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ric and Dean,

You’ll definitely get an invite with Secondary School Teacher with that many points. Ric - you’ll probably get invited for 491 in a much quicker time frame. I’d just go with that if I was you, quicker process. 
 

I put my EOI in yesterday but I’m onshore, I already teach in QLD on a temporary visa. So any questions about teaching here or the process, don’t hesitate to contact me. 
 

AITSL - it doesn’t come in a printable format unfortunately, you have to wait until it comes by post. If your overseas this can take another 3 weeks. 
 

Queensland college of teachers - they don’t take long at all. Probably 2 weeks after submitting everything. Call them they’re pretty good (if your living in UK then use Skype). They won’t pick up your EOI until you’ve got your registration so be mindful of that. 
 

Cheers gents 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lambert, that’s really good to know that secondary school teachers are likely to be invited with those points!

 

we are more than happy to live in regional QLD so will just go with whichever one we get, we’ll feel lucky either way.

 

also great news about the teacher registration! I was a bit worried about the timing of this but if they don’t pick the EOI up without it anyway then there’s no need to worry. Fingers crossed our documents arrive in Oz soon and they can start processing it.


whats the teaching life like in Queensland? Are you from UK originally? How does it compare? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that you choose NSW and Queensland, they seem to be the toughest states to move for teaching work. Obviously if you are flexible with where you live that helps. I'm in WA and didn't really have any dramas getting work but know of people who have been doing relief for years in Queensland and couldn't afford to live off a teaching wage in NSW (I'm sure this is much to their desired location!) Other states actively look for teachers as well. Good luck with it all, the process is worth it in the end. You'll find the work less stressful, time kind and better pay!

  • Like 1

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Benj1980, 

 

WA would be my first choice but unfortunately secondary school teacher isn’t on the WASMOL at the moment; it’s on the graduates list but we don’t have any Australian qualifications. As the 189 visa is basically inaccessible to us now we have to look at state sponsorship and we’re limited in terms of which ones will actually sponsor, most have restrictions attached to this profession at the moment which we don’t meet.

 

i read somewhere that WA is looking at a new skills list come December so hopefully that changes and we can apply there.

i get what you’re saying about everyone wanting NSW and QLD and the job prospects not being so great due to the demand; we’ve kind of accepted that it may be difficult to find teaching work and are just hoping for the best; the other states don’t appeal to us the same really, aside from WA, so fingers crossed they adjust the skills list and open it up!

 

how do you find Western Australia as a place to live? It looks absolutely beautiful! 

Edited by PickledRic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PickledRic said:

Hi Benj1980, 

 

WA would be my first choice but unfortunately secondary school teacher isn’t on the WASMOL at the moment; it’s on the graduates list but we don’t have any Australian qualifications. As the 189 visa is basically inaccessible to us now we have to look at state sponsorship and we’re limited in terms of which ones will actually sponsor, most have restrictions attached to this profession at the moment which we don’t meet.

 

i read somewhere that WA is looking at a new skills list come December so hopefully that changes and we can apply there.

i get what you’re saying about everyone wanting NSW and QLD and the job prospects not being so great due to the demand; we’ve kind of accepted that it may be difficult to find teaching work and are just hoping for the best; the other states don’t appeal to us the same really, aside from WA, so fingers crossed they adjust the skills list and open it up!

 

how do you find Western Australia as a place to live? It looks absolutely beautiful! 

I have found the opposite with QLD. When I was looking for a new job in QLD, I got offered 4 jobs in the first day! 

What is your subject area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lambert said:

I have found the opposite with QLD. When I was looking for a new job in QLD, I got offered 4 jobs in the first day! 

What is your subject area?

That’s really good to hear! 
subject area is History though so appreciate this may not be as in demand as the sciences but we’ll give it a go anyway.

 

partner feels quite confident about getting a job and I think there’s a lot in his favour, including gender. It may not be the case but it’s good to go with a sense of over confidence I think ready to be knocked down 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PickledRic said:

That’s really good to hear! 
subject area is History though so appreciate this may not be as in demand as the sciences but we’ll give it a go anyway.

 

partner feels quite confident about getting a job and I think there’s a lot in his favour, including gender. It may not be the case but it’s good to go with a sense of over confidence I think ready to be knocked down 😂 

In Australia you’re expected to teach TWO subject areas. So I teach chemistry and maths for example.

What would your husband’s second be? It literally can be anything! My colleague does history and art 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NSW because we have our family and friends there. 

The job market in coastal and city spots is competitive, however, my family have done some digging and I've spoken to recruitment agencies. In the areas we want to live about 40km out of the city the job market seems quite easy. 

I'll take whatever visa going as well. My wife teaches primary and early years. I teach secondary: Business, Accounting, Economics and ICT. Hopefully that's enough.

I don't know what teacher salaries are in England as a side point, but from what I understand, an NSW teacher on the same point of the pay scale as I am currently earns about £20,000 more than I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dean0703 said:

NSW because we have our family and friends there. 

The job market in coastal and city spots is competitive, however, my family have done some digging and I've spoken to recruitment agencies. In the areas we want to live about 40km out of the city the job market seems quite easy. 

I'll take whatever visa going as well. My wife teaches primary and early years. I teach secondary: Business, Accounting, Economics and ICT. Hopefully that's enough.

I don't know what teacher salaries are in England as a side point, but from what I understand, an NSW teacher on the same point of the pay scale as I am currently earns about £20,000 more than I do.

NSW have just launched a “commerce” teaching area so you’ll be fine there! 40kms out of the city.. you’ll get anything you desire.

I used to work in public schools in NSW. Drop me a message if you need anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2019 at 15:57, PickledRic said:

Hi Benj1980, 

 

WA would be my first choice but unfortunately secondary school teacher isn’t on the WASMOL at the moment; it’s on the graduates list but we don’t have any Australian qualifications. As the 189 visa is basically inaccessible to us now we have to look at state sponsorship and we’re limited in terms of which ones will actually sponsor, most have restrictions attached to this profession at the moment which we don’t meet.

 

i read somewhere that WA is looking at a new skills list come December so hopefully that changes and we can apply there.

i get what you’re saying about everyone wanting NSW and QLD and the job prospects not being so great due to the demand; we’ve kind of accepted that it may be difficult to find teaching work and are just hoping for the best; the other states don’t appeal to us the same really, aside from WA, so fingers crossed they adjust the skills list and open it up!

 

how do you find Western Australia as a place to live? It looks absolutely beautiful! 

Well we love it here. We haven't visited other parts of Australia so couldn't compare, that said we haven't felt the need to. Not to say we don't want to at some point. Bali is losing it's appeal to me already after two visits but the East coast is so expensive as a comparison. WA is known for being isolated, but of course it's closer to the UK and the majority of Asia. Lots to see and do in WA which we haven't exhausted yet, both north and south are beautiful and although a lengthy drive is part of the trip it doesn't seem as much of a punishment compared to shorter trips in the UK. I guess you're more likely to be stuck in traffic!

Sounds like you've got a realistic strategy and that is always important. I think people think that getting what they want will be easy because they have a visa, a bit of self entitlement as they have worked hard to finally have the right to migrate. It's worth it when you get here and you can make your own luck. Get out meet people, join clubs and network. Opportunities can arise from this for work etc. Anyway I'm sure you know all this...

Edited by benj1980

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does sound amazing, we definitely plan on visiting WA at the least, in fact we’re hoping to do some travelling for a few months around Oz before we settle in our sponsor state just so we can see lots of it and experience all that it has to offer. Very excited about that 😊

I think we plan on spending our first few years worth of holidays travelling Oz whenever we can. It’s such a huge place and everywhere is different and we don’t want to miss what’s on our own doorstop. We’re really outdoorsy so the weather for the most part will enable us to do more of what we love hopefully!

we’ll give anything a go so fingers crossed we can make it over there. We look forward to starting from scratch and doing everything again and accept that this will mean potentially starting at the bottom career wise but we’re not moving for our careers as such, we’re moving for a better quality of life and whatever career comes from that then that’s brilliant too 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am now on 75 points as a secondary teacher. If WA revise their list and include secondary teachers my brother would be eligible to sponsor me, giving me a total of 90 points. I submitted my EOI (at 65 (+5) points) in October 2018 for 189 and 190 and have heard nothing. I've recently submitted a new 491 EOI for any state which has secondary teachers on their occupation list.  It's all seeming like it will never happen. I already have spent a lot of money on an agents and various document verification.

Would anyone have any light to shed on my prospects for any kind of visa with 75 points and fewer than 2 years teaching experience? I'm at a crossroads where I need to start planning my next employment contract and am not sure whether to just give up on Australia.

Edited by Geography87
Include more detail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Geography87 said:

I am now on 75 points as a secondary teacher. If WA revise their list and include secondary teachers my brother would be eligible to sponsor me, giving me a total of 90 points. I submitted my EOI (at 65 (+5) points) in October 2018 for 189 and 190 and have heard nothing. I've recently submitted a new 491 EOI for any state which has secondary teachers on their occupation list.  It's all seeming like it will never happen. I already have spent a lot of money on an agents and various document verification.

Would anyone have any light to shed on my prospects for any kind of visa with 75 points and fewer than 2 years teaching experience? I'm at a crossroads where I need to start planning my next employment contract and am not sure whether to just give up on Australia.

It’s the experience you’re lacking unfortunately.
 

QLD you need 3 years experience for 491 and 5 years for 190

NSW you need 3 - 5 years for 190 and to have lived/worked in NSW for 1 year prior to getting the visa. 491 you need a job offer 

WA: teachers not currently on the list 

ACT: Need to be living and working in the ACT OR a job offer.

Why not go down the 482 route, gain more experience whilst here in Australia and transfer over to the 491? You’ll meet the criteria of experience/living here etc 

Family sponsor stream is so difficult, you’ll be waiting ages!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that seems to be the issue and by the time I have enough experience, I will have lost 5 points for age. I haven't heard anything about the 482 so will certainly look into it!

Do I currently stand a chance in VIC or, NT or TAS? The SA list came out today and I can see that it's not an option for me unfortunately. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geography87 said:

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that seems to be the issue and by the time I have enough experience, I will have lost 5 points for age. I haven't heard anything about the 482 so will certainly look into it!

Do I currently stand a chance in VIC or, NT or TAS? The SA list came out today and I can see that it's not an option for me unfortunately. 

 

I haven’t had chance to look properly but the SA skills list has secondary school teacher on the supplementary one and is available for 491 nomination?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PickledRic said:

I haven’t had chance to look properly but the SA skills list has secondary school teacher on the supplementary one and is available for 491 nomination?

Only if you have a job lined up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. I’m in my phone and the formatting for the SA website is terrible.

It seems to be a trend at the minute then for most states to want a job offer of some kind and/or more experience. 
I guess it correlates with what a lot of people have been saying about there not really being that much of a shortage of teachers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PickledRic said:

Ah. I’m in my phone and the formatting for the SA website is terrible.

It seems to be a trend at the minute then for most states to want a job offer of some kind and/or more experience. 
I guess it correlates with what a lot of people have been saying about there not really being that much of a shortage of teachers?

There’s a huge shortage - mainly science and maths. However, there’s an influx of beginning teachers over here and it’s not helping the situation at all.. I spend at least 3 hours a day coaching beginning teachers (they keep me asking me stuff)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lambert said:

There’s a huge shortage - mainly science and maths. However, there’s an influx of beginning teachers over here and it’s not helping the situation at all.. I spend at least 3 hours a day coaching beginning teachers (they keep me asking me stuff)

It’s really handy having some insight from someone who’s already there and working the job. 
Interesting about the influx of newly qualified teachers, I assume that’s why they’re looking for teachers with experience to perhaps take on some of those coaching roles in schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×