Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

PickledRic

Secondary School Teacher 190/491

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

I don’t get the point of a system that has a requirement of 65 points that will never let anyone in at that level. You’d think exceeding the requirement by 10-15 points would be plenty. But of course it’s not! 

The reason the threshold is so high right now is not because they've decided to raise the points to reduce the number who get through.  The threshold is high because there are more than enough applicants with high scores, so they don't need to look at anyone who scores lower.  That's why the threshold fluctuates, it depends on the scores of people who are applying.

Where there are extra conditions or quotes imposed, you have to take into account that there's a strong feeling in the capital cities that the infrastructure is not coping with the existing population, let alone accepting more people. So all the governments - state and federal - are very sensitive to the fact that those cities are exactly where most 189 visa holders head for.  In fact, a lot of 190 visa holders head there too, ignoring their moral obligation to stay in the state that sponsored them).  They don't want voter backlash, hence why the 491 got introduced. 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PickledRic said:

it sounds so much more relaxed and just an all round better environment for working. I think the U.K. has the mentality of working people into the ground and even then it’s not enough; it will be nice to live somewhere that values different things in life.

We’re so excited. The more we hear about it the more excited we get. So looking forward to making a home somewhere new! 

Of the last 20 years I've spent 8 in the UK and 12 in Australia. I've 'ping-pommed' back 3 times now - first time was the end of a working holiday, second time was to do my PGCE (which was so much cheaper in the UK), and third time was to take care of my elderly mum (so nothing to do with not being happy in Australia). I can honestly say with hand on heart, each time I return to Australia nothing much seems to have changed except the house prices have gone up. On the other hand, the UK seems to get that little bit worse whenever I return here. The sad decline of the NHS, knife crime, people smuggling, human slavery, homelessness, just to name a few. The fact that public sector pay was frozen for a decade and people are forced to work 2 or 3 jobs - the 'gig economy' jobs sometimes for as little as £3/hour. You can see the misery written on their faces. There is no longer anything Great about Britain, although ironically people will risk their lives to get here! Australia has it's social problems for sure, but they're just not on the same scale as those in the UK.

I'm sure you will love it down under, but don't make the mistake a lot of Poms do by getting hung up on what they've left behind in the UK, or you will not full appreciate what there is to enjoy in Australia.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The reason the threshold is so high right now is not because they've decided to raise the points to reduce the number who get through.  The threshold is high because there are more than enough applicants with high scores, so they don't need to look at anyone who scores lower.  That's why the threshold fluctuates, it depends on the scores of people who are applying.

Where there are extra conditions or quotes imposed, you have to take into account that there's a strong feeling in the capital cities that the infrastructure is not coping with the existing population, let alone accepting more people. So all the governments - state and federal - are very sensitive to the fact that those cities are exactly where most 189 visa holders head for.  In fact, a lot of 190 visa holders head there too, ignoring their moral obligation to stay in the state that sponsored them).  They don't want voter backlash, hence why the 491 got introduced. 

It’s completely understandable to me that this is how things are, I think the current economic climate and the way people are feeling about population growth means the government has to respond.

I think the 491 visa is a good idea and hopefully it will serve the purpose it’s designed to; it’s a shame people only want to live in the major cities when Australia has so much else to offer. But I do understand why this happens.

 

25 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Of the last 20 years I've spent 8 in the UK and 12 in Australia. I've 'ping-pommed' back 3 times now - first time was the end of a working holiday, second time was to do my PGCE (which was so much cheaper in the UK), and third time was to take care of my elderly mum (so nothing to do with not being happy in Australia). I can honestly say with hand on heart, each time I return to Australia nothing much seems to have changed except the house prices have gone up. On the other hand, the UK seems to get that little bit worse whenever I return here. The sad decline of the NHS, knife crime, people smuggling, human slavery, homelessness, just to name a few. The fact that public sector pay was frozen for a decade and people are forced to work 2 or 3 jobs - the 'gig economy' jobs sometimes for as little as £3/hour. You can see the misery written on their faces. There is no longer anything Great about Britain, although ironically people will risk their lives to get here! Australia has it's social problems for sure, but they're just not on the same scale as those in the UK.

I'm sure you will love it down under, but don't make the mistake a lot of Poms do by getting hung up on what they've left behind in the UK, or you will not full appreciate what there is to enjoy in Australia.

i really love hearing from people who have a very realistic viewpoint on things and give honest perspectives so thank you.

The UK isn’t a place I enjoy anymore; I work in the third sector and I’ve seen over the years how funding cuts have greatly impacted on this and people are suffering as a result. Staff are underpaid and overworked and the expectations are just outrageous. My partner works 11 hour days and has to do all the school trips etc. And yeah he gets the stupidly long holidays but it doesn’t make up for the stress he has every day. He often says he feels there is very little respect for his profession and parents view school as a day centre for the kids basically. 
 

I can honestly say there isn’t much about the UK I will miss other than my pet rabbit I’ll be leaving behind 😢 friends will visit and we have very little family. Everything else is just possessions and I’ll be glad to see the back of it all to start again somewhere new 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PickledRic said:

It’s a shame people only want to live in the major cities when Australia has so much else to offer. But I do understand why this happens.

I wouldn't have any issue with the living outside of a major city, I do that in the UK and commute 120 miles or so each way on the train 3 or 4 days a week. 

The problem is that those 120 miles only take 1hr 10m on a UK train direct into central London; nothing comparable in Australia.

I could happily live in the regions, but as regional visas also stipulate work in the region also I'd have problems with that. Big towns and even Small Cities just don't have my occupation - you need 1m+ populations to support that sort of job

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Big towns and even Small Cities just don't have my occupation - you need 1m+ populations to support that sort of job

I have to say I am now overwhelmed with curiosity! 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I have to say I am now overwhelmed with curiosity! 🤔

Haha me too! Can you share Ausvisitor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2019 at 20:20, Ausvisitor said:

We are in the final throws of getting the visa decision (all docs, meds and police submitted). Hopeful of an answer before the New Year.

Assuming that the decision is a Yes we will go over in June

I can update on the above; woke up this morning to three lovely emails GRANTING us all our visas.

Happy ??? - Oh Yes !!!!

  • Congratulations 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I have to say I am now overwhelmed with curiosity! 🤔

It's less exciting than it sounds...

I'm a management consultant and I work with two types of organisations

1) Large banks and financial companies

2) Governemnt treasuries

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I can update on the above; woke up this morning to three lovely emails GRANTING us all our visas.

Happy ??? - Oh Yes !!!!

Amazing!!!!! Well done!!!! Where you moving too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lambert said:

Amazing!!!!! Well done!!!! Where you moving too?

Sydney unless I can find a job in Newcastle that's comparable as housing a little cheaper up there.

Off now to go job hunt 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I can update on the above; woke up this morning to three lovely emails GRANTING us all our visas.

Happy ??? - Oh Yes !!!!

Ahhhh congratulations!!!! (Is that the right thing to say haha)

either way, amazing, can’t imagine a better feeling 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's less exciting than it sounds...

I'm a management consultant and I work with two types of organisations

1) Large banks and financial companies

2) Governemnt treasuries

Oh, I see! Congratulations on your great news. When's the move out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Sydney unless I can find a job in Newcastle that's comparable as housing a little cheaper up there.

Off now to go job hunt 😉

I'd give Newcastle the thumbs up (although Sydney-siders look down there noses at it), although from what you said about your profession it'd be hard to find that type of work there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Oh, I see! Congratulations on your great news. When's the move out?

Long holiday over the UK school summer holidays to activate the visa. (Can't go sooner it's A Level year).

Then plan to go out properly sometime around Jan/Feb 2021

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Long holiday over the UK school summer holidays to activate the visa. (Can't go sooner it's A Level year).

Then plan to go out properly sometime around Jan/Feb 2021

I hope you're allowing yourself enough time to work in the region, to qualify for the permanent visa

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I hope you're allowing yourself enough time to work in the region, to qualify for the permanent visa

It's a 190 so it's permanent straight away isn't it?

That said we'll be there in 13 months with no intention of leaving except a few 2 week holidays for at least the next 5 years

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's a 190 so it's permanent straight away isn't it?

That said we'll be there in 13 months with no intention of leaving except a few 2 week holidays for at least the next 5 years

Sorry, asumes it was a 489. 

Newcastle is a great place these days. It used to be a real dump hence why people looked down on it

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing news!! Congratulations!!!


ANZSCO-312311   PTE 79  VISA 190 VIC 

POINTS  age 15     education 10      work 15

english 20        partner 10   total 70

 

EOI 13-09-2019  PRE-INVITE 21-11-2019

ITA      VISA LODGED   HC PCC

VISA GRANTED 🙏🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's a 190 so it's permanent straight away isn't it?

That said we'll be there in 13 months with no intention of leaving except a few 2 week holidays for at least the next 5 years

I hope all goes well for you and you love your new life 😊

fingers crossed for more good visa news over the coming months for everyone else  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×