london expo

Guest fred

Hi all

I have received my invitation for the london expo on thursday the 29th at 4.30. who else here has got one ?

Does anyone know what to expect and if a company wishes to sponser you does this mean financially ?! (wishfull thinking I expect !)

Anyway theres plenty of good bars in the area including an autralian bar so whatever the outcome it wont be a wasted journey!

Fred

My partner has one for Tuesday but I don't think he can go. He's a bit miffed that partners are not allowed to go and as we have never been to London before wondering if we would ever find it!! Will it look bad if he cannot go?

My partner won't go on his own so unless we can get a babysitter for our 3 year old we won't be able to go. I can understand them not wanting hordes of kids and relatives but I don't understand why partners cannot go. At the end of the day, if I decided I did not want to go to Aus, my partner is not going to go without me(I think!!) I also have a decision on which part of the country we may live. We will decided over the weekend and let them know if we cannot go.

Not sure why everyone seems to be getting their knickers in a twist :wink:

If family units are looking to emigrate then they do so based upon the details of the person who qualifies for the points, which is who are being invited to the expo!

The purpose of it that I see is to get the chance to make contacts with employers or recruitment agencies and to discuss the likelihood of getting gainful employment in Australia in the professions that are in demand!

As it seems to be rare on this site that both partner's in the couple have professions which are in demand, that is the price you pay.

Sorry to sound so unsympathetic but why should the partner of someone be there taking up valuable space which would prohibit people applying for skilled migration visa from being there, it's a pretty selfish attitude I think!

Ideally, I think that the whole family should be invited as it is the whole family that is moving. Both partners I think should attend at the very least because perhaps the main applicant has family sponsorship and the other one is the skilled person therefore the main applicant may not have a clue exactly what the skilled one is capable of. Does that make sense?

well even tho we are going through an agent, we are still going for a long weekend.

Liz is going shopping while I network and chat to people.

It cant hurt to try

Guest basiltherat

Hi everyone

I wife has had an invite for 29th at 1000. I will be going down with daughter "Just for the ride" we will spend time around London ideal opportunity for a visit and day out.

As mentioned before the invite is for the person who they are interested in. Quite happy, something good may come out of it which will benefit the whole family. We just want to get there who actually achieves that is irrelivent.

Steve & Heather

I suppose it could feel a bit alienating if the partner is not invited but in the long run it doesnt matter how you get there as long as you do.

So the email is quite abrubt has anyone been to one of these before ?

and what are we expecting to gain ? definately plenty of good bars in the area and if the partners are coming for a day out its right in the heart of london and the event only takes an hour.

If any one fancys a pint and a chat after the event let me know

Fred

My partners is Tuesday 1.45pm. Just looked at trains from where we live and it will cost £260 for the two of us. Anyone know of a good parking place so we can drive and catch tube. Would be coming from Mid Wales so M40 & M25. Any help appreciated as never been to London.

Guest basiltherat

Hi Fred

I dont think that different days signify different trades as my wife is going on Thursday and she is an accountant.

Steve

Hi Heather

You could drive to J1 of the M40 and get a train from Denham (signposted from M40). It goes into Marylebone and there are 2 trains an hour i think or alternatively you could get the tube from Uxbridge.

Karen

My husband and I are going to the Expo in London. His appointment is on the Tuesday @ 11 am, mine is on the Thursday @ 4.30 pm. I have requested a change of appointment as it would obviously make sense to go together. However, if not, we will just go for our separate appointments. It seems a bit daft for people not to go just because their partners, family, friends, work colleagues, cats, dogs etc. can't go! If you really want the opportunity to emigrate, you'll do whatever it takes!

I agree with Kazzy01 - it is a chance for people who have the skills to meet employers - you wouldn't take your partner to a regular interview would you? And I'm sure they will feedback to you so why are people getting their 'knickers in a twist'. They said in the invitation they have limited space so it is only fair that people who could get a job this way only attend. Mine is on 29 Sept, hopefully will leave with some good information.

Guest basiltherat

Has anybody managed to get the information on companies that are attending as per the Email. I have gone to skill4oz.com, but cannot find the information.

Heather

Archived