Health insurance with visa

Charlie m

On 24/11/2019 at 23:36, Charlie m said:

Hi we are going to apply for 804 visa on shore in Australia can we get health insurance till we get bridging visa we know we have to pay but don't know how to go about it

Are you living in the UK at the moment?  If so, you'll be covered for essential treatment by Medicare (the Australian equivalent of the NHS).   If you're living in some other country at the moment, then you'll need to check whether there's any arrangement between the Australian government and that country.

The snag with Medicare is that, unlike the NHS, it's not completely free.  For that reason, a lot of ordinary Australians have private health cover, too. As a visitor, and while you're on a bridging visa, you can't get the normal health insurance but you can get Overseas Visitor Insurance. Here's an example of the kind of cover you can get:

https://www.hcfvisitorhealthcover.com/

17 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

Or you can do what I do and save money by not having health insurance. Should you get ill then buy health insurance then. 

In which case you will need to serve a 12 month waiting period before being able to make a claim.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jul2019 said:

18 weeks? It's 6 months for cancer. That's pretty damn serious!!! This confirms what I suspected and that is Australians are thick.

No I'm a Brit whose dad is an Oncologist, I'm assured (by the guy doing the work) that 18 weeks is the maximum, after that you get referred into the private system

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Are you living in the UK at the moment?  If so, you'll be covered for essential treatment by Medicare (the Australian equivalent of the NHS).   If you're living in some other country at the moment, then you'll need to check whether there's any arrangement between the Australian government and that country.

The snag with Medicare is that, unlike the NHS, it's not completely free.  For that reason, a lot of ordinary Australians have private health cover, too. As a visitor, and while you're on a bridging visa, you can't get the normal health insurance but you can get Overseas Visitor Insurance. Here's an example of the kind of cover you can get:

https://www.hcfvisitorhealthcover.com/

Hi thanks for all you information very helpful, we will have sold our house end of February we are going to Spain for 2 months then flying out to Melbourne end of April so will we qualify for Medicare  because we spent time in Spain and also will this effect our police check when asked for, ( we will go into vistorhealthcover information you sent us ) 

many thanks

Charlie M 

6 hours ago, Charlie m said:

Hi thanks for all you information very helpful, we will have sold our house end of February we are going to Spain for 2 months then flying out to Melbourne end of April so will we qualify for Medicare  because we spent time in Spain and also will this effect our police check when asked for, ( we will go into vistorhealthcover information you sent us ) 

many thanks

Charlie M 

You're only going for a holiday to Spain so I don't think that would be a problem.