You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Map of North Queensland

This is an excellent map if you want to get some idea of the size of North Queensland. Use the link for better quality.
2B2DD90D-1C1B-4946-BBA8-FA331E80990D.jpeg

https://gisservices.information.qld.gov.au/arcgis/rest/directories/historicalscans/rec_scans/regional-map-north-qld-ed-9-back-2008.pdf

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Good one, @The Pom Queen.

About 6.5 times the size of the UK.

Cheers, Bobj.

Always have a slight chuckle when I hear people’s travel plans before they visit Australia. Chatting to a UK family member yesterday to hear her son plus friends are visiting Australia and hiring a van for 2 weeks and then onto NZ for 2 weeks. My husband had to point out that their travel plans are a bit optimistic!!! Bless they have no idea how far away everywhere is. Sure they will have fun however much end up seeing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ramot said:

Always have a slight chuckle when I hear people’s travel plans before they visit Australia. Chatting to a UK family member yesterday to hear her son plus friends are visiting Australia and hiring a van for 2 weeks and then onto NZ for 2 weeks. My husband had to point out that their travel plans are a bit optimistic!!! Bless they have no idea how far away everywhere is. Sure they will have fun however much end up seeing.

Reminds me of when I went from Smellbum to Perth in 1963, the drive took 5 days and Mum wrote and asked if I would visit her friend in Cairns, not realizing the distance. When I told her it was further than Bradford to Rome, she understood.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Reminds me of when I went from Smellbum to Perth in 1963, the drive took 5 days and Mum wrote and asked if I would visit her friend in Cairns, not realizing the distance. When I told her it was further than Bradford to Rome, she understood.

Cheers, Bobj.

We are doing the Sydney to Perth road trip next month.

Speaking of distances that same trip, as an example, could start at a point just west of the Ural Mountains in Russia, then driving west for 2 or 3 days, covering just over 1000 km when we reach the outskirts of Moscow. From Moscow we would continue west for 2 days and enter Belarus and reach Minsk some 770 km west of Moscow. From Minsk its a 7 hour drive to Warsaw Poland. From there, over the next 4 days or so we would travel through Germany, probably Belgium and on to London.

Such journey would more or less be the same distance, nearly 4000km, by road from Sydney to Perth, with similar travel times at a medium pace with overnight stops.

• Like 2

@Dusty Plains, When I did the Nullabor for the first time, it was 1000 miles of bulldust holes, corrugations and the odd stretch where one could drive at the ferocious speed of 30mph.

Bitumen now, so you will have a comfortable drive, albeit hot and featureless for the most part.

One thing to remember, you will be driving into the western sunsets 😎

Enjoy.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobj said:

@Dusty Plains, When I did the Nullabor for the first time, it was 1000 miles of bulldust holes, corrugations and the odd stretch where one could drive at the ferocious speed of 30mph.

Bitumen now, so you will have a comfortable drive, albeit hot and featureless for the most part.

One thing to remember, you will be driving into the western sunsets 😎

Enjoy.

Cheers, Bobj.

They don't call me Dusty Plains for nothing. 🌅 🙂

• Haha 1

On 25/11/2019 at 07:00, Dusty Plains said:

We are doing the Sydney to Perth road trip next month.

Speaking of distances that same trip, as an example, could start at a point just west of the Ural Mountains in Russia, then driving west for 2 or 3 days, covering just over 1000 km when we reach the outskirts of Moscow. From Moscow we would continue west for 2 days and enter Belarus and reach Minsk some 770 km west of Moscow. From Minsk its a 7 hour drive to Warsaw Poland. From there, over the next 4 days or so we would travel through Germany, probably Belgium and on to London.

Such journey would more or less be the same distance, nearly 4000km, by road from Sydney to Perth, with similar travel times at a medium pace with overnight stops.

I’m going to have done 4000km return just travelling up the road in Queensland to see my son get sworn in as an Australian Defence Force Officer and then back down a bit to see a  very special PIO member. Unfortunately I can’t fly any more and have to stop to do my IV Fluids for ex amount of hours so it’s a very slow progress. Im so happy though as I haven’t travelled up this way for a few years now. 🥳🥳🥳

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

I’m going to have done 4000km return just travelling up the road in Queensland to see my son get sworn in as an Australian Defence Force Officer and then back down a bit to see a  very special PIO member. Unfortunately I can’t fly any more and have to stop to do my IV Fluids for ex amount of hours so it’s a very slow progress. Im so happy though as I haven’t travelled up this way for a few years now. 🥳🥳🥳

Enjoy your trip, will be a proud moment seeing your son’s ceremony. Think I can guess who you will be catching up with!?

take care xM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Its a very long trip, but worth it when its family, which it is in my case as well.

Enjoy,

Happy trails and good health to you.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 18:56, ramot said:

Related image

• Like 1