pob

Hi

We lived in Australia a few years ago, we moved back to England and now we are looking to get back out there again.

The problem is that I am now 46 years old.

Am I just too old for trying to find someone to sponsor me? I was looking at the visa requirements and they all say must be under 45 years old.

Have I missed the boat now?

I wouldn't want to be there temporaryily, I would want to get my citazenship.

I have been applying for FIFO jobs in WA as a chef. I have had some interest from people.

To be honest I could do the job very easily, I work hard and would fit in.

I'd buy my ticket tomorrow if I had a visa, getting a job would be easy.

Am I too old?

Edited by pob

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What visa did you come on last time?

My wife had a 457 visa about six years ago I was on the spouse entitlement.

She was 44 six years ago.

We only stayed about two years.

I loved it, but she wasn't happy. I haven't been happy since we left.

9 hours ago, pob said:

Hi

We lived in Australia a few years ago, we moved back to England and now we are looking to get back out there again.

The problem is that I am now 46 years old.

Am I just too old for trying to find someone to sponsor me? I was looking at the visa requirements and they all say must be under 45 years old.

Have I missed the boat now?

I wouldn't want to be there temporaryily, I would want to get my citazenship.

I have been applying for FIFO jobs in WA as a chef. I have had some interest from people.

To be honest I could do the job very easily, I work hard and would fit in.

I'd buy my ticket tomorrow if I had a visa, getting a job would be easy.

Am I too old?

Difficult but not impossible.

If you or your wife were able to secure employment and sponsorship in a high paying position, you could potentially still covert to PR at a later date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Difficult but not impossible.

A little hope is all we need!

I have my cooking qualifications, and I thought that fifo chef work was not something that most people wanted to do. I cook really well and could do the job easily. I know there is lots of competition for a dump truck driver or welder in fifo work, but not for the kitchen.

So I thought I could work fifo and save up to open my own business.

My wife works with computers in the technology industry.

What would a high paying position be?

Also how would we wrangle getting sponsorship at our age? From sunny England as well?

18 hours ago, pob said:

My wife had a 457 visa about six years ago I was on the spouse entitlement.

She was 44 six years ago.

We only stayed about two years.

I loved it, but she wasn't happy. I haven't been happy since we left.

..............  so how does your wife feel about potentially returning to Australia if she wasn't happy when you lived here previously?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is the problem with Australia, it's an ageist country. Australians judge people on their age. Shouldn't matter what age you are. They don't discriminate by race do they? But age discrimination is apparently ok. They hire people based on their age here instead of based on merit. Someone who is 65 could be far better at a job than someone who is 30 but the 30 year old will always get the job simply because they are younger and automatically get more points. Imagine the uproar if someone who was black got less points simply because they were black. 

Age discrimination should be illegal.

Edited by jul2019

4 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

This is the problem with Australia, it's an ageist country. Australians judge people on their age. Shouldn't matter what age you are.

I agree Australian employers can be ageist - I've experienced it myself - but the immigration system is not ageist.   As an Australian taxpayer,  I don't want migrants coming to Australia in their fifties, working for ten or fifteen years, and then collecting the Australian pension and Medicare benefits for the rest of their lives (which could easily be another thirty years). 

Migrants have to come when they're younger so they can pay into the welfare system for longer, to fund their old age. It's just arithmetic. 

• Like 3

The last time we came I was on a spouse visa, My wife who is now 50 (sshhh don't let her hear that) had the 457 sponsorship visa.

She had the fancy job working in the tech industry. What Raul Senise called a high paying job.

Unfortunatly she encountered racism at work and it really got to her. It broke her heart, she didn't know how to handle it, she hadn't experianced anything like that in decades.

I encountered a little racism towards me as well, even though I am blonde haired and blue eyed. I was able to make a joke and laugh it off, make the guys doing the talking feel a little bit silly and small.

Still you know what they say, small minds usually come with large mouths.

So our little plan was for me to get sponsorship and get us both over there.

Find a migration agent and ask them if it would be best to have my wife in a sponsored job or just on the spouse part of my visa. Find out the best and fastest route to an Australian passport.

My wife would be in the tech industry.

Me?

I thought a man of my cooking skills just applying for a cooks job in a mining camp would have been snapped up. I would have thought head chef in less than six months.

When we were over there last I started saving to open my own business. I can see a catering opportunity in Australia that would be great for me to do, revitilising a classic Australia dish.

I even had found a premisis that would have been perfect in Sydney and was saving up to buy ovens, mixers, fridges and so forth. You guys probably wouldn't even guess that a decent table in a profesional kitchen costs about $1000, Ovens are around $25,000 and the list goes on and on. It would take a fair wedge of cash and a lot of hard work.

The only difference being that I would make every sauce from scratch, from bones. None of the Bisto gravey here, just good honest food made with love from fresh ingredients. Thats the key, serving a quality product only costs a little bit more, but takes a lot more hard work and effort. It would be my business I would only serve food that I would eat myself, I know I would be starting work at 5am and finishing at about 8pm for the first few years that would be 7 days a week, 364 days a year, as the business built up I could hire more staff and cut my hours.

I don't just want to work sit in the sun and drink beer.

I want to build something that is mine, employ Australians, give something back to the society that can give me opportunitys and then when I have done that I can open up my hammock crack open that beer and drink it with the biggest grin I can imagine.

7 hours ago, pob said:

The last time we came I was on a spouse visa, My wife who is now 50 (sshhh don't let her hear that) had the 457 sponsorship visa.

She had the fancy job working in the tech industry. What Raul Senise called a high paying job.

Unfortunatly she encountered racism at work and it really got to her. It broke her heart, she didn't know how to handle it, she hadn't experianced anything like that in decades.

I encountered a little racism towards me as well, even though I am blonde haired and blue eyed. I was able to make a joke and laugh it off, make the guys doing the talking feel a little bit silly and small.

Still you know what they say, small minds usually come with large mouths.

So our little plan was for me to get sponsorship and get us both over there.

Find a migration agent and ask them if it would be best to have my wife in a sponsored job or just on the spouse part of my visa. Find out the best and fastest route to an Australian passport.

My wife would be in the tech industry.

Me?

I thought a man of my cooking skills just applying for a cooks job in a mining camp would have been snapped up. I would have thought head chef in less than six months.

When we were over there last I started saving to open my own business. I can see a catering opportunity in Australia that would be great for me to do, revitilising a classic Australia dish.

I even had found a premisis that would have been perfect in Sydney and was saving up to buy ovens, mixers, fridges and so forth. You guys probably wouldn't even guess that a decent table in a profesional kitchen costs about $1000, Ovens are around $25,000 and the list goes on and on. It would take a fair wedge of cash and a lot of hard work.

The only difference being that I would make every sauce from scratch, from bones. None of the Bisto gravey here, just good honest food made with love from fresh ingredients. Thats the key, serving a quality product only costs a little bit more, but takes a lot more hard work and effort. It would be my business I would only serve food that I would eat myself, I know I would be starting work at 5am and finishing at about 8pm for the first few years that would be 7 days a week, 364 days a year, as the business built up I could hire more staff and cut my hours.

I don't just want to work sit in the sun and drink beer.

I want to build something that is mine, employ Australians, give something back to the society that can give me opportunitys and then when I have done that I can open up my hammock crack open that beer and drink it with the biggest grin I can imagine.

Maybe send @Raul Senise a message and have a bit more of an indepth consult with him? He’s a registered agent.

I wish you all the best. 😊

• Like 1