Guest Nelly

spider worry

Guest Nelly

My family and i r considering mirgrating 2 oz but r worried about

the spiders r they a real problem how often do u c them?

Guest Brickie

Every day my whole life is spent just trying to cut through the cob webs so I can do stuff, its terrible....:cute:

What do you think?

Its the 21 century, even in Australia.

Guest Jaynie
My family and i r considering mirgrating 2 oz but r worried about

the spiders r they a real problem how often do u c them?

hi Nelly,

they are always around as they leave that many cobwebs for you to walk into, I suspect you are meaning the poisonous ones aren't you?

I have Redbacks down the side of my house, none inside and only ever seen one trying to come into the laundry years ago, soon brushed it out! The only funnel web I have encountered was at the Wildlife park in a cage! You do get Huntsman spiders, they are really big and hairy, look like tarantulas, they haven't come into my house yet! I've been here a long time and I was terrified of them but we came out, now I am quite brave.

The things I hate are the cockroaches, you get the little ones and then the huge black and brown variety, now THEY make my skin crawl, they tend to come in when it's rained for a few days. Yuk!

Don't let it put you off coming over though!

Guest moonraker1961

That really depends where you live.If you're in the country or country town like I was you would see a fair few dotted about,but you become aware of what they look like and know to leave them well alone.Its no good going over to Oz and being paranoid.You get used to them after a while anyway,I know that sounds ridiculous.My family live in the suburbs and might occasionally run into a red back or whatever but they're not really in your face (well hopefully not lol)if you know what I mean?You need to educate your kids on whats dangerous,I think thats the most important thing.Especially if they are playing outside.Don't leave shoes/boots laying around outside.Be careful potting about in your shed/garage.Hope this helps?

we have been in brisbane 10months and in the time we have been here have seen one red back spider in a garage that we were cleaning out,not seen a huntsman yet,you just have to be aware of what can be around you..hope this helps....dont let it put you off as i was terrified of seeing spiders...lol

Guest Nelly

thamks for your help

Guest melissa
Every day my whole life is spent just trying to cut through the cob webs so I can do stuff, its terrible....:cute:

What do you think?

Its the 21 century, even in Australia.

Don't worry too much Nelly, I read the other day that no one has died from a spider bite in Australia for over 30 years. So that gives you a good idea of the real dangers.

Hi,

We have been in Sydney for 9 months now and only saw our first hunstsmen last week whilst takng a trip to the Southern Highlands! You just need to be aware of where the dangerous spiders like to hang out and avoid those areas!!! Red backs like living under logs and piles of stones etc so just be careful if you ever have to move stuff like that. Apparently funnel webs like pools but I have never seen one in mine!

As for snakes we are living right next to a National Park and havent seen ONE yet, so please dont worry.

Guest Nelly

thanks for all your help

Guest TheHollies

what about whitetails and wolf spiders? 2164.gif

Guest shash

hi nelly. ive been to oz twice to visit my sister, she lives at tamborine in qweensland, i love spiders, i have a chilian rose tarantula as a pet, so when i went to visit for three months i kept my eyes open for all these wonderfull spiders. i didnt see many. just keep your shoes on outside and wear gardening gloves when gardening. make sure you check your shoes before putting them on, spiders dont have too ruin your life. take care, shash.

Guest Brendan/Mandy

Nelly, spiders are present here but honestly before i came over i thought i would be constantly looking for them, checking my shoes, shaking clothes ect .......but it really isnt like that, ive been here for 6 months & have 4 children & none of us has even seen a spider!!!

There is a croc at the Goose Ponds though!!!! Its in a pond surrounded by parks where people walk their children , jog through or just having a picknic!!!! they are protected here so they have been trying to catch him..sometimes the croc goes walking along the bank!!! Everyone goes down to have a look & take photos..

Mandy x

Guest JoanneHattersley

I have been here 3 1/2 years and in that time have seen several red backs (lurking in my garage behind some boxes), 2 huntsmans, several tent spiders in my garden, a dead brown snake on my drive and a blue tongued skink.

When i got here I bought a book on Aussie wildlife so that whatever I saw I could identify!

there's a red back on my toilet seat

RedbackToiletpicture.jpg

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

We have many spiders here and we are Melbourne they eat the mossies and flies so they do a really good job.

We have many red backs around and they do get in the house and also Huntsmen lots of them and we like them and if they become a bother we just get the dustpan and brush sweep them onto it and put them outside.

There are some really beautiful spiders too pretty colours that make webs in leaves between plants. I don't mind spiders.

Its the snakes I do not like and they are protected here so we are not allowed to kill them.

I have only seen one snake in the garden though and have not seen any of their skins which they shed for a long time, they avoid us if they can.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Thats unfair Geoffrey!!!! LOL!

Now admit how small those red backs really are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!