Moving to Adelaide with my little man. Advise / Help please !!!

Laxmi ammu

Hello Everyone,

Every exited to have received our visas and looking forward to call Adelaide our new home and meet new people.

I know these queries would have been addressed here before many times. But i am still unclear after a lot of digging. But any additional advises on the below queries will help me greatly to clear my doubt clouds.

I am planning to move with my 5 year old son in August 2020 from Dubai. At the moment just us as my husband will stay back, so he can finance us till i get a job and settle. So i am all the more nervous but thats the safer option.

My queries:- 

Q 1- my son turned 5 yrs old this October 2019 and is currently in third term of his KG 1 here. looks like we have to break his schooling here.

the SA education website says this -- If your child turns 5 on or after 1 May, they can start primary school (reception) the first day of term 1 of the following year.

Which means my son can join primary school only in january 2020 rite ?? plz correct me if i am wrong. 

My question is does schools in south australia take kids in between their term. ? Because he will have to do a full reception again from jan 2021 till dec. and he will complete 6 yrs by then.

Also can a kid join grade 1 straight if they reach the age criteria. Even if their preschool is incomplete from the place where they are coming ?

Q 2-  I am confused whether I should get our stuffs like kitchen utensils , tv , music system, books and few personal items collected over period of time. No furniture's or heavy home appliances though.

Is it worth shipping them or should I just sell them and buy everything from scratch. Which is a big pain in the **s and also expensive I guess compared to Dubai. 

Q 3 - I have read in many places that getting the first house is a big deal. bcz many landlords dont give without job or fund proof. in our case my husband will still be working in dubai. So is that proof enough. his bank statements, Our dubai home electricity bills or tenancy papers. Will that help ???

Finally anyone here who have migrated from Dubai or planning to mig soon..!!? 

Looking forward to all your valuable comments from ur experiences.

Thank you ....

It’sa foreign country with completely different education systems so don’t sweat what he’s already done, just accept that he will be starting with his age peers in Jan 2020 or, if you arrive after that, he will slot in with that same group of age peers part way through 2020. Don’t rush to get him in school. Get your permanent place of residence sorted first. If you arrive with some references about how good a tenant you have been elsewhere and from your Aussie employers (by preference) or an extra large bond if you aren’t yet employed, then you should be ok and then getting the school sorted is easy as the local school will be obliged to find him a place at any time.

As for bringing your stuff - up to you. Check out how much it will cost you to replace things and compare with what it would cost you to send stuff over.

Many many thanks quoll for your reply. Sure I will concentrate on the house first ..and yes regarding shipping will do exactly that .. also what do u suggest, having a used car or using public transport ?? Is public transport well connected in Adelaide?  I think with a small kid around having a car makes things more comfortable but same time i am not sure of the cost side to maintaining a car ? For instance in Dubai public transportation is a headache. Having a car is a necessity and it's maintenance is so cheap. 

Rather depends on where you live and where you work as to whether you will need a car. Most Aussies have /need cars except, perhaps, those whose lives are totally in the central city area and they don't need to go elsewhere. With little kids that's certainly more of a challenge. In Canberra, where my place is, you need to be a two car family and certainly buying and running used cars is a more expensive hobby than it is in UK, no idea about Dubai.