Skilled Visa

Krhow

Hi all,

I’d like to move to Australia to be with my long term boyfriend and I am going to apply for a Working Holiday VISA but wanted to know what jobs I should apply for in hopes of getting sponsored for a skilled visa? I’m a junior in uni at the moment studying to obtain my psychology undergraduate degree. Then I am going to go get my masters possibly in Counseling before I apply for any Australian visa. Any information you could provide would be very beneficial. I’m very new to all this. In my dream world, I could live and work on the Gold Coast 🙂 thank you so much!

To be eligible for a Permanent skilled visa your job has to be on the Medium to long term skills list. It’s not a case of finding an employer to sponsor you, they are bound by this list too (amongst other complex criteria- they can’t sponsor anyone).
If your occupation is on the list it will list the minimum qualifications required for that profession and the minimum points you need to apply. However, just because they say for example 65 points doesn’t mean you qualify. If there are other applicants with more points they will always be chosen first, and when others add to the queue if they have more points they jump ahead too. For some professions that are incredibly popular like accountants, the minimum is more like 80 points to be chosen.
The independent visas require points which you get for age, work experience, English language ability etc. To claim points for work experience you need a skills assessment for your profession. Work experience has to be post qualification and is usually 3 years. To claim points for English you need to sit a test and depending on how well you do depends on what points you can claim. Even for a native English speaker it is not easy to get the top bracket for 20 points. 
You need medical and criminal records checks.

It is possible to be sponsored by a state for your profession as a way to get more points but again the above still applies. 

The other route is a temporary sponsored visa (where you find an employer to sponsor you- again your profession must be in the list) and there may be opportunity to apply for a PR visa through the employer. Though, this has been tightened up recently and the pathway to PR is not as easy as it was. If you go on a temporary visa it’s good advice to expect to go home after your visa concludes.

Its a sad fact for many that they simply aren’t eligible to emigrate. 

Based on what you have written you need to see if your profession is on the skills list and what qualifications you need. If it’s there, get some experience in the UK first and look to apply down the line, but professions are regularly removed and added to the list so it might not be there when you finally are eligible! 

Sounds confusing? Talk to a registered migration agent, they should be Mara registered and many will offer a free consultation to map out your eligibility and visa pathway based on your individual circumstances. There are a number in this forum who post regularly and are reputable.

Good luck