Spirit of Tas and the kennels.

unzippy

I know a few people who have brought their dogs with them to Tasmania.  They weren't very happy about the cages/kennels that are supplied.  I don't know about cats but dogs have died on the trip.  😧  Friends who go back and forward to the mainland quite often always take their little dog with them but it does the journey in their caravan.  Sixteen polo ponies died after being transported on the Spirit of Tasmania nearly 2 years ago.  The court case is still going on.  Nobody is accepting responsibility.  Bloody disgusting.

I hate the thought of anything horrid happening to your Big Arnie.  Could a friend look after him?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-02/dog-owner-devastated-after-pet-dies-on-spirt-of-tasmania/10773614

There should be an experienced person on board the ferry specifically to care for the animals but there isn't.  Shameful really.

"If travelling with a pet, it is a requirement that your pet travels in a Spirit of Tasmania kennel. Our kennels are located on ventilated decks. Regular checks are performed and fresh water is supplied throughout the sailing.

We recommend owners provide bedding and comfort items to make the journey as pleasant as possible for their pet.

One kennel must be booked per pet unless the animal is a mother with pups or kittens.

It is not possible to reserve particular kennels for your animal.

Our kennels vary in size. As a guide, the approximate measurements are: 700mm wide x 800mm high x 900mm deep."

Looking at this photo, I dare say Big Arnie would be put in the smaller 'kennel' on the right -  top one.  I know the noise from barking dogs is pretty bad.  We live on the other side and nearer the mouth of the river but I have heard loud barking from the ferry as it slowly comes down the river toward the sea and the barking continues while taking off into the Bass Strait.  Would be a bit scary for the smaller dogs and especially cats but mostly it's pretty quiet.

pets.jpeg

Edited by Toots

Thanks @Toots.

We'll be away for 2 weeks or so, It feels unfair to ask people to disrupt their Christmas in order to drop in on her every day, or even every other day.

I've since done a fair bit of research, there's no way she's going to be happy in a cage surround by a load of barking dogs - who would!?

She can stay in the car, with her blankets, bed, toys and water, with the windows cracked.  She will be lot happier.

Then I'll take her hunting Thylacines 😉

Just be careful @unzippy    

If travelling with a pet, it is a requirement your pet travels in a Spirit of Tasmania kennel. Our kennels are located on ventilated decks. Fresh water is supplied and regular checks are performed on pets throughout the sailing. Bedding is not provided.

Edited by Toots

32 minutes ago, Toots said:

Just be careful @unzippy    

If travelling with a pet, it is a requirement your pet travels in a Spirit of Tasmania kennel. Our kennels are located on ventilated decks. Fresh water is supplied and regular checks are performed on pets throughout the sailing. Bedding is not provided.

From my research I've found these:

https://www.vancatmeow.com/boarding-pets-spirit-tasmania-horrible/

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g504292-d1467645-r456850894-Spirit_of_Tasmania-Devonport_Tasmania.html

https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/267987-spirit-of-tasmania-dog-traveling/

If I took my dog to the mainland via the ferry I would leave him in the car I think.  Apparently you can sign a waiver if you do so.  The car deck isn't very nice though - all those car/truck fumes when they are loading.  Yes dogs have died but many make the trip with no problem.

I went to Devonport court last week to listen to what was happening about the 16 polo ponies that died.  I didn't like the owner.  None of the ponies was individually secured in the large horse transporter/truck. 😡 As far as I'm concerned, if you can't look after your horses properly don't bother having them.  Those ponies probably panicked and kicked each other causing really bad injuries.  Anyway it's back in court next March - I'll be going along to hear what happens.

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

If I took my dog to the mainland via the ferry I would leave him in the car I think.  Apparently you can sign a waiver if you do so.  The car deck isn't very nice though - all those car/truck fumes when they are loading.  Yes dogs have died but many make the trip with no problem.

I think the top tip is that you buy/rent the kennel in advance and that gets you a tag to stick on the rear view mirror.  That tag allows you to park on the "ventilated" deck where the kennels are and then you sign the waiver and the animal stays in the car.  Best of both worlds😉

• Congratulations 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HNY Toots!

On 03/01/2020 at 19:05, Toots said:

@unzippy how did Big Arnie cope with the ferry trip? 

A lot better than her minions🤣

We packed up the car and her in her box and headed down to the port. 

hfXShPSh.jpg

J5M4fPuh.jpg

We queued in the hot sun longer than I would have like before boarding, I could feel the (black) car heating up despite the air con running.  Got directed to the ventilated deck with the kennels and parked up.  We repacked the car so she had a bit of space to stretch her legs, reach her litter tray, food/water bowls and bed.  I disabled the alarm, cracked the windows open, locked the car and left her to it.  I was pretty worried about the car heating up due to the sun earlier but we were now in the shade and once the boat got moving it should be ok...

As we walked up stairs we passed the kennels - we definitely made the right decision - dogs were already barking away.

Crossing was dead calm and pretty boring.  $20 got me access to the wifi for the duration so I worked away saving me a days leave.

We headed back down as soon as we could (dogs were still barking) she had hopped up on the parcel shelf to see what all the humans were up to was going on - she was great!

She got back in her box and re packed the car for travelling.  Sat nav said 3.5hrs to Kingston, turned out the roads were pretty empty apart from the bugs so I managed to knock 50mins off that estimate.

akcYC7Nh.jpg

M1sXWIPh.jpg

She settled in just fine at the in-laws.  Obviously there was a fair amount of exploring, checking the decorations were up to scratch.

wJaTqY6h.jpg

She didn't have the patience for fishing, on land or the boat.

iBWVJIkh.jpg

VFMN5ZBh.jpg

Bit she was interested in the garden.

32siQoQh.jpg

GAOx2ikh.jpg

We stopped to stretch her legs before getting on the boat but it was pretty windy so she didn't want to get out the car.

xWDCmrgh.jpg

Night crossing back.  Same drill with the car, a little re arranging so she could move about and then we retired to the cabin.  Dead flat again, or at least if it was rough, it wasn't rough enough to wake me.

She was asleep when we go down there at 0515H - all good😎

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...