Returning to UK

KatyNick

On 15/11/2019 at 20:32, deryans said:

Love it back in Europe, despite the brexit debacle, having lived in both North Africa,  western Europe, northern Europe (Norway),  Oz (15 years),  I actually prefer the cold, I can always put layers on or take them off,  I can't when it's too hot , there is no respite at 50 deg, and everyone puts their air con on,  you just have to get used to it,  I'd prefer -50 to  +50

You're not going to get -50 in the UK or +50 in Aus. I've experienced -11 in the UK when I was working on pipeline testing years ago it was terrible. It's been 40 degrees in Perth today, christmas party, shorts and shirt, pub by the beach, no problem

• Like 2

Guest Sarah Martin

I moved back three years ago after fifteen years living just outside Sydney. It was a huge upheaval, as I had horses, a dog and a cat, but the pull of the English countryside and London got the better of me. I had always missed country pubs, the seasons and being so close to Europe. I am very grateful for my time in Australia and there is so much I adore about it, but I haven't had a single regret, even after several days of drizzle. However, my sister (also single and childless) also moved back after many years living down under, subsequently regretted it and returned. Grace Removals and Doree Bonner have done well out of her! She still sometimes feels torn and may well end up back in England. Her argument is that you need to be well off to enjoy all those wonderful things - cultural, shopping, city breaks, etc - that the UK offers and can live well for less in Australia, enjoying the beaches, cafe culture and a year round outdoor lifestyle. 

One thing I have learnt is that rationalising the pros and cons does not provide the answer. You have to search your own heart to find the answer.

Wishing you the best of luck figuring it out!

Sarah

2 hours ago, Sarah Martin said:

Her argument is that you need to be well off to enjoy all those wonderful things - cultural, shopping, city breaks, etc - that the UK offers and can live well for less in Australia, enjoying the beaches, cafe culture and a year round outdoor lifestyle. 

Totally agree with that statement. We’re currently in the UK now and think the same thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sarah Martin said:

I moved back three years ago after fifteen years living just outside Sydney. It was a huge upheaval, as I had horses, a dog and a cat, but the pull of the English countryside and London got the better of me. I had always missed country pubs, the seasons and being so close to Europe. I am very grateful for my time in Australia and there is so much I adore about it, but I haven't had a single regret, even after several days of drizzle. However, my sister (also single and childless) also moved back after many years living down under, subsequently regretted it and returned. Grace Removals and Doree Bonner have done well out of her! She still sometimes feels torn and may well end up back in England. Her argument is that you need to be well off to enjoy all those wonderful things - cultural, shopping, city breaks, etc - that the UK offers and can live well for less in Australia, enjoying the beaches, cafe culture and a year round outdoor lifestyle. 

One thing I have learnt is that rationalising the pros and cons does not provide the answer. You have to search your own heart to find the answer.

Wishing you the best of luck figuring it out!

Sarah

We get 4 definite seasons here in the Adelaide Hills and also have a few fantastic country pubs. One brews it’s own ale too, and has roaring log fires in winter.  That is the thing about Australia there should be a spot for everyone!

Can not bring Europe any closer though!  Although we are enjoying exploring Asia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2019 at 14:56, Paul1Perth said:

You're not going to get -50 in the UK or +50 in Aus. I've experienced -11 in the UK when I was working on pipeline testing years ago it was terrible. It's been 40 degrees in Perth today, christmas party, shorts and shirt, pub by the beach, no problem

I doubt it's ever going to be -11c anytime soon 

Hottest new years  eve in 178 years on the way 

16c in some places apparently 

It's a walk to the pub in a shirt for some 

Brother in law is still in his shorts 24/7 

Shortest day is over , on into spring ,summer and autumn in europe 👍

No ice , snow or even frost on the windscreens yet 

• Like 1

On 30/12/2019 at 00:54, bunbury61 said:

I doubt it's ever going to be -11c anytime soon 

Hottest new years  eve in 178 years on the way 

16c in some places apparently 

It's a walk to the pub in a shirt for some 

Brother in law is still in his shorts 24/7 

Shortest day is over , on into spring ,summer and autumn in europe 👍

No ice , snow or even frost on the windscreens yet 

There's time yet bunbury. Wouldn't be making the spring call for a couple of months. 16 is still cold.

• Like 1