From Working Holiday visa to Student visa?

fox678

If you are granted a student visa onshore while on a working holiday visa, when does the student visa come into effect? When the course starts? Or does the WH visa get revoked and the student visa comes into effect?

Also, how is the transition between the visas like? 
For example, let's say the working holiday visa expires on 15/1/2020 and the academic course starts on 15/2/2020. Do you have to leave the country between those dates or do you go on a bridging visa?

I can't answer your questions but I hope you have looked carefully into the implications of a student visa. In the great majority of cases, you will be far better off financially AND stand a better chance of getting a permanent visa if you go back to your home country and undertake a course there.   Yes, it's a long-term strategy and means you'll have to leave Australia for a few years but your chances will be better in the end and it's a lot less stressful.

On 09/11/2019 at 22:36, fox678 said:

If you are granted a student visa onshore while on a working holiday visa, when does the student visa come into effect? When the course starts? Or does the WH visa get revoked and the student visa comes into effect?

Also, how is the transition between the visas like? 
For example, let's say the working holiday visa expires on 15/1/2020 and the academic course starts on 15/2/2020. Do you have to leave the country between those dates or do you go on a bridging visa?

When you make a valid application for the student visa, you will be issued a bridging visa, which will sit in the background whilst your current visa is in effect. If your student visa is granted before your previous visa expires, it will replace the existing visa from the date of grant. If it is not, the bridging visa will come into effect when the previous visa expires, allowing you to remain until a decision is made on the student visa.

On 10/11/2019 at 05:41, Marisawright said:

I can't answer your questions but I hope you have looked carefully into the implications of a student visa. In the great majority of cases, you will be far better off financially AND stand a better chance of getting a permanent visa if you go back to your home country and undertake a course there.   Yes, it's a long-term strategy and means you'll have to leave Australia for a few years but your chances will be better in the end and it's a lot less stressful.

I am not sure I agree with this. The financial aspect will depend on the home country, although I do agree that international fees are expensive here, but I don't see that having an offshore degree provides any better pathways to a permanent visa than an Australian qualification.

Edited by paulhand