Mountain biking in Derby,Tasmania

Toots

Once a thriving mining town with the richest tin mine in the world and one of the last remaining wilderness areas, Derby (north east coast of Tassie) is now home to one of the world's premier mountain bike networks.  It encompassing 125km of purpose built mountain bike trails with options to suit all skill levels.

Derby has a population of just over 200 people but the trails have attracted tens of thousands of mountain biking enthusiasts from the mainland and overseas.

I'd prefer to have a coffee and cake in the little cafe in town. 🙂

derby.jpg

derby1.jpg

derby2.jpg

derby3.jpg

derby4.jpg

11 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I don't fancy extreme mountain bike riding but I do miss cycling generally on quiet country roads and I have not ridden a bike since returning to Sydney a decade ago from the UK where I was always out on my bike in the New Forest.

When we lived in Sydney this was one of my favourite cycling routes.

"The epic Cooks River cycling route is one of Sydney's oldest and most popular shared paths. Its 23 kilometres start at Settlers Park in Ryde, meander through Gough Whitlam Park and finish at peaceful Botany Bay, following the gorgeous Cooks River most of the way. Various town centres, railway stations and parks are en route, so you can make a day of it, stopping for coffee, lunch and snacks as you go."

• Like 1

I really must make an effort to get a bike. A friend did give me one, with two flat tyres and I put it in my garage meaning to repair it but someone nicked it. There's a two valleys urban bush walk which I think covers some of that bike ride you mention. I did the walk once from I think Bardwell Park station to Tempe and then on the road to Petersham.

Have a look at this link. It's definitely the Cooks river (which I sometimes confuse with the Georges River) and this is the walk rather than cycle but I think some of it may cover the cycle path?

http://www.wollicreek.org.au/tvt/index.htm

That first picture you posted does look nice. I've never been to Tasmania.

• Like 1