Nurse visa to Australia

Dipi

Hi, 

I'm very new to this site. Currently, I'm looking for job in Australia as a registered nurse. I live in UK now. Does anyone know proper government website to apply for online job in public hospital, Perth and Melbourne. Also, I can't figure out what is the actual system at present for working visa for us and further processing for PR criteria. Do we need to work in regional? 

Thank you. 

I'm not clear if you've actually started the visa process.  It's a long time since I got a visa and someone more knowledgeable will be able to explain that process to you.  From a nursing point of view  you will need to get your skills assessed by ANMAC in order to apply for a visa.  You will also need to look at applying to AHPRA for registration - the final stage of that process is presenting in person within 3 months to complete the ID.  These two processes are totally separate.

Sponsorship for nursing positions in WA has become less achievable and some advertisements will indicate that preference is given to Citizens or PR holders.  The first selection criteria for most (if not all jobs) will be eligible for registration - it is best if you either have registration or have received your registration in principle letter (you won't get a job offer without it).

For WA the best place to look for public sector jobs is the jobs wa website.   It might be worth looking at the ANMAC site first (you're not going to get a visa without it), and take note of the requirements for those registering from overseas - some requirements are different for different countries depending on where you trained.

You would be better to look at obtaining a permanent visa from the start. 

If you were to obtain sponsorship, which will be difficult, you would need to accept that all you have is a temporary visa and go on the assumption that you will be returning to the UK at the end of the visa or earlier if you were to lose your job for any reason. 

Temporary visas also come with a number of issues. For example, many states, including WA charge temporary visa holders for education of any children you have. Partners of temporary visa applicants can find it difficult to find work as employers are not keen on applicants whose ability to remain in the country is not in their own hands. 

Hence, it is not a method recommended for families. 

Hi there,

Thank you for your kind response.

I would like to make a clearer picture of situation so that you would know what exactly I'm looking for or suitable for me.

I've just received my AHPRA  registration last week. Now I will be doing NMBA skilled test soon.

I'm a perioperative theatre nurse/ scrub , working in UK for 12 yrs, holding UK passport.

I'm looking for job and visa, preferably PR in Australia. I would like to know the proper website or right ways of applying permanent job on my own. Also is there any ways to know what kind of employer would sponsor me for the visa procedure. Do I've to follow the agencies?

About visa, what kind of visa will be best. Do we've option for PR visa straight from beginning? If not PR visa in the beginning eg TSS (temporary short skilled visa) visa. would I be able to apply for PR at the end of that visa . Is there any criteria that we've to stay in regional / territory to be eligible for PR visa . If so, which territory would be best to stay.

About weather, which area would be best to stay except Sydney. I prefer bit of county side.

I've family with young kids. One of kid, 10 yrs old just passed the selective eligibility test/ Gifted and talented test in UK Grammar school. She will be joining high school, yr 7 next yr from September. So I'm wondering if this is able to contribute in Australia education system or what will be good option to get same kind of school there and which areas have got good grammar schools. Will she be able to apply and sit in the test online from UK as our visa process may take time.

Thank you very much, 

waiting for your valuable response.

Regards

Dipi

I think you are confused on visas. A temporary visa such as a 482 requires a company or business such as a hospital to sponsor it. So, you have to find a job and they have to be willing and able to sponsor. Most sponsored jobs are going to be a temporary visa. These are not recommended as a good way to Australia for families. At the end of a temporary visa, there is no guarantee you would be eligible to apply for permanent visas. So, if you do go for a temporary visa, you should assume you will be leaving Australia at the end of the visa. 

You would be better looking at independent permanent visas or state sponsored visas, which are permanent. These are the 189 and 190 visas. The 189 allows you you live and work anywhere in Australia. The 190 allows you to live and work anywhere in the sponsoring state. 

Thank you for your reply. 

I've already finished the nursing registration process with AHPRA, been there for ID check too. 

Now I will ve look and apply for job and visa. So just wondering if I need to do modified skill assessment from NMBA before applying for visa. Does employer apply for sponsorship? 

I read that now regional visa is easier to achieve than others, I'm thinking of applying for 491,regional visa, effective from 16 November. Which areas are regional, very confused. 

Can you please tell me the better/grammar schools   university areas, my daughter will be joining high school next year 

I've not decided yet where to go.. Any ideas! 

Thanks a lot. 

34 minutes ago, Dipi said:

So just wondering if I need to do modified skill assessment from NMBA before applying for visa

Yes, you will need a skills assessment before applying

34 minutes ago, Dipi said:

Which areas are regional, very confused. 

Everywhere except metro Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KangaKit said:

Just to clarify ..Perth isn't classified as regional is it? Looking at the postcode list

@KangaKit, I really think it's time you booked a consultation with someone like Paul Hand, so he can tell you what visa you can get and give you an idea what your chances are.  It won't cost you anything to have an initial consultation and there's no obligation to go any further.

I say that because you asked a question about age earlier.  If you're sailing close to the deadline for age, then you need to act fast or you might miss your chance altogether. 

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@KangaKit, I really think it's time you booked a consultation with someone like Paul Hand, so he can tell you what visa you can get and give you an idea what your chances are.  It won't cost you anything to have an initial consultation and there's no obligation to go any further.

I say that because you asked a question about age earlier.  If you're sailing close to the deadline for age, then you need to act fast or you might miss your chance altogether. 

Thank u ..yes I think I will..I'm 41 so have a bit of time but hate leaving things to the last minute..points wise only have 65 and with the recent changes it seems to be getting more and more difficult..next year I will have 70 points as further work experience...don't mind where we go initially but concerned about going on any visa which isn't PR or wouldn't lead to it as I have a family.

20 hours ago, paulhand said:

Which postcode list?

In the context of regional visas, this is the list and it includes all of WA:  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list/regional-postcodes

I'm looking at this list but the uni address is within the cities top list..I presume that this means they wouldn't be able to attend there? Apologies if I'm being really stupid!

28 minutes ago, KangaKit said:

I'm looking at this list but the uni address is within the cities top list..I presume that this means they wouldn't be able to attend there? Apologies if I'm being really stupid!

That list is all the postcodes that are within the regional areas.   The big city postcodes aren't there.

1 hour ago, KangaKit said:

Thank u ..yes I think I will..I'm 41 so have a bit of time but hate leaving things to the last minute..points wise only have 65 and with the recent changes it seems to be getting more and more difficult..next year I will have 70 points as further work experience...don't mind where we go initially but concerned about going on any visa which isn't PR or wouldn't lead to it as I have a family.

Yes I'm afraid they have been making it steadily more difficult every year.  Australia used to welcome migrants because there was a real shortage of local skills, but that's not the case any more.  In general, we have enough skilled people, it's just that most Australians (and most migrants) want to live in the big cities near the beaches and good amenities. There's a lot of talk about our major cities being overcrowded and of course, the government doesn't want to make that worse because it might lose them votes!   That's why the 491 has been introduced, to try to make migrants stay out of those cities and go where the shortages are. 

I'm concerned about your points.  Have you done the English test?   For the PR visa, you need a minimum of 65 points before you're allowed to apply, BUT you need a lot more than that to stand any chance of getting a visa. Your application doesn't go into an orderly queue.  It's a competition, and only the people with the highest points get picked.  Hundreds of applications come in every single day.   If you've only got 70 or 75 points, there will always be people joining the queue with higher points, so you''ll just get ignored.   There is such a flood of applicants with high points that you don't have a snowball's chance with less than 80 points these days, and it's often even higher than that.

If you need to go for the 491, then my concern is that you'll need to be under 45 when you're eligible to convert to PR.  The age for the other visas was reduced to 45 just recently and I'd be willing to bet that the 491 will be the same.   In your case, it'll take at least a year for your application to be processed so you'll be over 42 by the time you arrive in Australia, so your chances of getting your PR application in before you're 45 are slim - and that's assuming they don't bring the age limit down even further, which they might.   

In summary, the sooner you have a chat with an agent, the better.   There's no point in spending time checking out universities or jobs until you find out whether you can get a visa in the first place.

Edited by Marisawright