What did you take and what did you leave ?

AliQ

To anyone who has recently moved to Australia, is there anything you wished you had shipped ? and is there anything you wished you had left behind ?

We’re currently getting removal quotes ( this is our second move, and already done some very serious culling of “ stuff”)  but keen to hear from others who have recently moved for fresh ideas.

Thank you.

We made the move to the UK and back a couple of years ago, but we travelled light so can't really comment.

However I think the best way to work out what to bring is to do a trial shop online.     Most Australian retailers have websites with online stores so you can check to see what it will cost you to replace stuff if you leave it behind.  

Going through this at the moment - we already have a house in Australia so a bit but we are taking a move cube with all the books and Wool we have accumulated over the past 8 years. Clothes, the DH’s bike, a freezer which is new and, of all things, a tumble dryer which is new. DH has some tools as well and that’s about it. When we moved originally, the DH made a 1m cubed crate and we sent the bikes, kids toys, a portable calor gas heater (totally useless) and a chair that someone had given him. We posted all our books that time.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

We made the move to the UK and back a couple of years ago, but we travelled light so can't really comment.

However I think the best way to work out what to bring is to do a trial shop online.     Most Australian retailers have websites with online stores so you can check to see what it will cost you to replace stuff if you leave it behind.  

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Going through this at the moment - we already have a house in Australia so a bit but we are taking a move cube with all the books and Wool we have accumulated over the past 8 years. Clothes, the DH’s bike, a freezer which is new and, of all things, a tumble dryer which is new. DH has some tools as well and that’s about it. When we moved originally, the DH made a 1m cubed crate and we sent the bikes, kids toys, a portable calor gas heater (totally useless) and a chair that someone had given him. We posted all our books that time.

Thank you, much appreciated.

We have our lists of what to ship and what to sell / donate etc, but interested to know if anyone had that “ wish I’d bought that with me “ moment or “wished I’d left that back in the UK ! “  moment. I tend to cull very strictly so I know we’re not going to be shipping any useless stuff !

3 hours ago, AliQ said:

Thank you, much appreciated.

We have our lists of what to ship and what to sell / donate etc, but interested to know if anyone had that “ wish I’d bought that with me “ moment or “wished I’d left that back in the UK ! “  moment. I tend to cull very strictly so I know we’re not going to be shipping any useless stuff !

Wish we hadn't taken the calor gas heater, obviously.  Wish we hadn't sold the house but had rented it out. If you're a knitter, Aussie wool isnt as good as the UK/US kind. My son packed his bike to UK and is really glad that he did - so, bikes generally get a big tick and helmets are compulsory in Aus (some parts at least) so take them with you if you have them.  The rest of our stuff is family memorabilia because we are clearing my parents' house out so there are photographs, slides, sundry documents.  Our stick Dyson is a definite take with us, I love it!  There are some little things to be aware of like your bedding probably wont fit as bed sizes in Australia are different.  You may not get your tv to work - unless you get cable or a set top box (that used to be a biggie but with new smart tvs, I have no idea if they are picking up terrestrial or not).  If you have little kids with car seats dont bother.  UK car seats for kids arent legal in Australia and neither (though folk often ignore this) are cordless landline phones.  If you have electrical appliances which have UK plugs which will be a faff to replace, take with you a UK power board - then you only have to change the plug on the power board rather than getting a never ending supply of adapters.  The one thing I really missed from Aus when we came here was the lemon zester - but only at Christmas!  We always take our kitchen knives because we are a knife family and have top quality ones.

I'm really being a good girl this time and having a second go through of all that I have put aside to take and thus far my dad's collection of later Dick Francis (which I dont have) are going off to Ziffit or the Op Shop because I tend to use Audiobooks these days but DH hasn't culled much despite numerous hints from me (books are cheaper here)

15 hours ago, Quoll said:

Wish we hadn't taken the calor gas heater, obviously.  Wish we hadn't sold the house but had rented it out. If you're a knitter, Aussie wool isnt as good as the UK/US kind. My son packed his bike to UK and is really glad that he did - so, bikes generally get a big tick and helmets are compulsory in Aus (some parts at least) so take them with you if you have them.  The rest of our stuff is family memorabilia because we are clearing my parents' house out so there are photographs, slides, sundry documents.  Our stick Dyson is a definite take with us, I love it!  There are some little things to be aware of like your bedding probably wont fit as bed sizes in Australia are different.  You may not get your tv to work - unless you get cable or a set top box (that used to be a biggie but with new smart tvs, I have no idea if they are picking up terrestrial or not).  If you have little kids with car seats dont bother.  UK car seats for kids arent legal in Australia and neither (though folk often ignore this) are cordless landline phones.  If you have electrical appliances which have UK plugs which will be a faff to replace, take with you a UK power board - then you only have to change the plug on the power board rather than getting a never ending supply of adapters.  The one thing I really missed from Aus when we came here was the lemon zester - but only at Christmas!  We always take our kitchen knives because we are a knife family and have top quality ones.

I'm really being a good girl this time and having a second go through of all that I have put aside to take and thus far my dad's collection of later Dick Francis (which I dont have) are going off to Ziffit or the Op Shop because I tend to use Audiobooks these days but DH hasn't culled much despite numerous hints from me (books are cheaper here)

Thanks Quoll, yes, also taking our Dyson, it has to be one of the best gadgets ever. Decided not to take our TV and washing machine even though they are only a few months old, as we’ll need those fairly quickly on arrival for our rental, and shipping is too long to wait for for these items.

Thanks for the idea of taking a power board, that’s very useful. As we have no children to leave anything to, we’ve de cluttered big time thanks to that book by Marie Kondo. No one will want to clear our house full of “stuff” when that time comes !

We took everything, and 2/3 filled a shipping container with it all. Once we were paying for movers and our own shipping container, this was a cheaper option than having to re-purchase things in Australia. The only things we really had to buy once we got here were a fridge/freezer and washing machine.

15 hours ago, richev said:

We took everything, and 2/3 filled a shipping container with it all. Once we were paying for movers and our own shipping container, this was a cheaper option than having to re-purchase things in Australia. The only things we really had to buy once we got here were a fridge/freezer and washing machine.

Thanks richev, yes we plan to buy a new washing machine once there, no way could I last without one till our shipment arrives.

• Like 1

We have moved twice.  Once we got a long term let (unfurnished) before we arrived via a friend.  We simply rented a house pack until our stuff arrived. Cheaper than furnished let and better located for us.

Second time we stayed in a furnished let and moved into our rental luckily as our stuff arrived. But we had shipped a few weeks before leaving.

You can easily rent stuff you need.  We rented everything we needed from tea spoons to washer, TV.......... but you can just hire a washer, bed, sofa.....whatever.

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1