Landowners giving their property back to Tasmanian traditional owners

Toots

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

One thing I miss about the UK is "common land" and public footpaths/bridleways through privately owned land. Whenever and wherever you go in the bush you are never far from a barbed wire fence which means "look but don't touch."

Yes. The right to roam is a wonderful thing. I love walking and find limited routes outside of reserves. I used to love walking moors and farmland in the UK with my trusty paper maps!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have never looked into this, but what is the ‘law’ in Australia and Tasmania. I love running and hiking, but find ‘sticking’ to rights of way or public footpaths in the UK, you can miss out on the most interesting and beautiful settings. Nothing has stopped me before, with our right to roam ‘law’, I respect a ‘private no access’ sign  but if I want to check an area out I will, I’ll leave if asked to but other than that I’m all in. What is the ‘rule’ in Tasmania?

21 minutes ago, Russ1976 said:

I have never looked into this, but what is the ‘law’ in Australia and Tasmania. I love running and hiking, but find ‘sticking’ to rights of way or public footpaths in the UK, you can miss out on the most interesting and beautiful settings. Nothing has stopped me before, with our right to roam ‘law’, I respect a ‘private no access’ sign  but if I want to check an area out I will, I’ll leave if asked to but other than that I’m all in. What is the ‘rule’ in Tasmania?

There are many places for walking in Tasmania but it's not like the UK where there are  rights of way through farms etc.  I have this book and have been on lots of the walks mentioned.

100 walks.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

I have never looked into this, but what is the ‘law’ in Australia and Tasmania. I love running and hiking,  but find ‘sticking’ to rights of way or public footpaths in the UK, you can miss out on the most interesting and beautiful settings. 

There's public land and private land - but there is so much publically accessible bushland, parks and reserves in Tasmania that you won't be missing out on many interesting and beautiful settings by staying on public land.   For example, this is information on 92 tracks just  in the Greater Hobart area alone:

https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/tracks/

and here is a map of tracks on just the eastern face of the Mt. Wellington:

https://www.wellingtonpark.org.au/assets/WP_BushWalk-InfoSheet-November20-Spreads.pdf

They should keep you out of mischief for a while.  😉

• Thanks 1