How to vote in UK Elections - 12th December, 2019

Becontree Boy

If you have  lived overseas for less than 15 years, your vote in the UK General Election on December 12th matters.

Apply to vote in the Thursday 12th December UK General Election at

We suggest that once registered, you apply to your last UK local council for a "proxy vote". Generally, this is somebody living in or near your last constituency who can vote in a polling station on your behalf.

Postal votes take too long to arrive to vote and then post back from Australia and New Zealand.

DEADLINES:-

Midnight Tue 26 Nov:
- Register to Vote application received by Electoral Registration Officer:
5 pm Wed 27 Nov:
- Your proxy’s application to vote by post received by Electoral Registration Officer
- Application to change or cancel an existing proxy, postal or postal proxy vote received by Electoral Registration Officer:
5 pm Wed 4 Dec:
- Application for a new proxy vote received by Electoral Registration Officer
(All times are UK)

This information brought to you by the Australasian branch of the British Labour Party. To help us campaign for Labour amongst Britons living in Australia and New Zealand, please contact australasia@labourinternational.net.

Web: https://www.labourinternational.net/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/australasia_labour/

Twitter: @AusNZ_Labour

Australasia Register to Vote Meme.jpeg

4 hours ago, Becontree Boy said:

Labour is giving voters a choice:  back a renegotiated brexit which orotects the interests of working people or remain in the EU.  A 'hard brexit' would do great damage to the economy.

What do you not like about Jeremy Corbyn?

Besides colluding with terrorists and being a proven anti-semite absolutley nothing against the guy. I assert nonetheless that the two reasons I state are more than enough to want him not to be Prime Minister

Besides colluding with terrorists and being a proven anti-semite absolutley nothing against the guy. I assert nonetheless that the two reasons I state are more than enough to want him not to be Prime Minister
Jeremy Corbyn is a longstanding anti-racist who has actually taken part in activities to defend Jewish people in his constituency. Jeremy has always worked for peace in Northern Ireland. Yes, he met sinn fein leaders, but so did the UK government in secret talks that led to peace talks and the ceasefire called the Good Friday agreement.

Aside from that, Labour offering a jobs creating Green Industrial Revolution which will allow the nation to tackle the pressing problem of clinate change. Hecalso intends to end the crippling poverty in the UK raising vulnerable individuals and families above the foodbank line. I recommend looking out for Labour's full manifesto which should be pyblished next week.

Hi Ali - I'm not really in the business of solixiting Tory votes, but yes, if your in-laws live overseas they coukd follow the pprocedure described on the meme and vote. But if you have sympathy with Labour, I'd urge you to register if you've lived overseas for less than 15 years.

Generally, speaking, if you have a care for family left in the UK or you have been paying UK Nstional Insurance contributions for more than ten years (which qualifies you for a part state pension) then I would argue that you still have a stake on what happens there - even if you don't plan to return.

Labour Votes provide the best way to protect their and possibly your interests.

I have no intention of living in the UK again - so probably wouldn't - but my in laws are Tory voters, so we could technically give them two more votes.

I won’t be voting for a number of reasons (even though UK policy on Brexit and other things will materially affect me in the future):

1. I moved here in 2015 and have zero intention of returning to live.

2. My former home in Surrey is in one of the safest Tory seats in the country.  Voting was therefore always a meaningless chore as only people who live in marginal constituencies ever experience true democracy (and I never lived in one of those).

3. Haven’t really kept in touch with our old neighbours since we came here so a considerable imposition to ask them to cast our vote - assuming that they intend to anyway.

5 hours ago, Becontree Boy said:

Hi Ali - I'm not really in the business of solixiting Tory votes, but yes, if your in-laws live overseas they coukd follow the pprocedure described on the meme and vote. But if you have sympathy with Labour, I'd urge you to register if you've lived overseas for less than 15 years.

Generally, speaking, if you have a care for family left in the UK or you have been paying UK Nstional Insurance contributions for more than ten years (which qualifies you for a part state pension) then I would argue that you still have a stake on what happens there - even if you don't plan to return.

I know you're trying to promote labour votes - we've never voted labour in our lives and I wouldn't start now with the distasteful Mr. Corbyn as their leader.  We're the ones who live overseas, we don't have any sympathy for labour at all (we left the UK under the Blair government), but I will consider registering but not to vote labour.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Becontree Boy said:

This blatant electioneering on PIO, should I be eligible, makes me want to vote the opposite way. Keep PIO free of biased party electioneering, next thing the idiots will take over yet another thread all convinced their way is the only right way. 

Its insulting to suggest that someone has to vote labour if they care for UK family. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Becontree Boy said:

Labour is giving voters a choice:  back a renegotiated brexit which orotects the interests of working people or remain in the EU.  A 'hard brexit' would do great damage to the economy.

What do you not like about Jeremy Corbyn?

Because he doesnt keep his promises... remember back to 2016...

"Jeremy Corbyn has insisted that Labour will not stand in the way of Brexit amid fresh attacks on his “lukewarm” campaigning before the referendum. The Labour leader ruled out support for a second referendum on the terms of Britain’s withdrawal, adding: “You have to respect the decision people made.”"  Guardian Article

so, when did he enact the above?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ali said:

I know you're trying to promote labour votes - we've never voted labour in our lives and I wouldn't start now with the distasteful Mr. Corbyn as their leader.  We're the ones who live overseas, we don't have any sympathy for labour at all (we left the UK under the Blair government), but I will consider registering but not to vote labour.

If you just happened to have a handful of dog poo, and if you just happened to have Corbyn and JRM in front of you, and you couldn't split it?

Do you want the people who caused the GFC or the people who made you pay for it?

Tough choices.

8 hours ago, newjez said:

If you just happened to have a handful of dog poo, and if you just happened to have Corbyn and JRM in front of you, and you couldn't split it?

Do you want the people who caused the GFC or the people who made you pay for it?

Tough choices.

Not a good analogy for me - I wouldn't even dream of throwing something at someone (if that's what your suggesting).

22 minutes ago, ali said:

Not a good analogy for me - I wouldn't even dream of throwing something at someone (if that's what your suggesting).

Corbyn has his faults, but seeing him at the Grenfell towers, and seeing the Tory response, they are oceans apart. Corbyn has more compassion for the British people in his little finger than most Tory members. But I object to his state capitalism so I won't be voting for him.

I actually want a hung parliament, but I'm not sure how you vote for that.

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Corbyn has his faults, but seeing him at the Grenfell towers, and seeing the Tory response, they are oceans apart. Corbyn has more compassion for the British people in his little finger than most Tory members. But I object to his state capitalism so I won't be voting for him.

I actually want a hung parliament, but I'm not sure how you vote for that.

A vote for the LibDems is a sure fire way to end up with a hung parliament