House to Rent and soon as you move to NT

Anisha

Hi,

I'm a single mom with a 4 year old toddler and we are looking to move to Darwin on a 489 visa within the first quarter of 2020. I'm applying for jobs on line but nothing as of yet.

I need to know how do I find a place to stay. I'm looking for a place to rent preferably a 1-2 furnished apartment or house but my issue is since i'm moving newly how do I find a place without a job? I mean I have to find a job but are there places who would give me a place to rent if I don't have a job just yet? Because without a job I cant even put my toddler to school right? Is there another way to go about this?

Looking for advice.

Regards

Anisha

Most people will book a holiday let (furnished) for the first few weeks so they can look for a longer term rental.  I don't know about Darwin, but there isn't a lot of furnished accommodation (long term) and the rents may be higher.

You would need to get a temp accommodation like the airbnb etc. Most of the people coming to Australia on a Permanent visa or a regional visa come here without a job, so you should be fine. I am not sure about NT but you not having job should not stop your kid from being admitted in a school. I have never heard of job being a blocker for kids to be able to go to school. If that was the case most kids of migrants will be missing school years.

You need to arrange for an accommodation before landing here and then contact the local realtors for properties (This can be done from overseas as well like I did). In Australia you need to inspect the home before you can fill out the application. So no way getting around that.

17 hours ago, Anisha said:

Because without a job I cant even put my toddler to school right?

All children in Australia are required to enrol in school once they reach a certain age.  (It varies in the different states and territories and I'm not sure what that age is in the Northern Territory.)   Whether the parent/parents are employed or not is irrelevant.

Kids have to be enrolled before their 6 th birthday and the cut off date for NT is 30 June so if you're child turns 5 before 30 June they can start full time school in the January of that year however if their birthday is closer to that cut off point they may well be advised to hold off for a year for a bit more maturity. But there's no compunction to send a kid to school before their 6 th birthday. You've got plenty of time to get it sorted - however, if you want to work you'll have to pay child care.