Moving to perth in 2021 with 2 children

Rachelleedavies

Hey... my name is rachel and myself and my husband along with our two children are making the move to perth in 2021. 

i was just wondering what are the school fees here ? my son will be almost 5 when we arrive so i think he will be in kindergarten ( not sure ) and my daughter will be nearly 11 ( again not sure what year she would be in ) 

thankyou 

• Like 1

Depends on what visa you're coming on.  If temporary then there will be school fees.  If PR then if your children go to public school (that's government) then you will just need to pay any contribution fees to the school and what ever is on the book list.  If on a temporary visa the fees (I think) are about $4,000 a year

we will be on a temporary visa when we first come out .. then will apply for PR When we settle on a house. the children will be going to public school when we arrive. but my daughter will be going into year 6 ( i think ) and my son kindergarten. is that per month the fees are paid ? and is it the same with secondary school. thankyou 

1 hour ago, Rachelleedavies said:

we will be on a temporary visa when we first come out .. then will apply for PR When we settle on a house. the children will be going to public school when we arrive. but my daughter will be going into year 6 ( i think ) and my son kindergarten. is that per month the fees are paid ? and is it the same with secondary school. thankyou 

I think the fees are up front (but not 100%), you will find in high school also, depending on subjects taken the cost can be quite expensive.  In year 12 my sons school fees (at public) were $1,000 for the courses he was taking.  Have you already got sponsorship?

Might be worth having a chat to one of the agents who regularly post on here regarding visa strategy and requirements for the visas.  The visa  rules do change all the time unfortunately and it can present some difficulties in planning so far ahead. 

11 hours ago, Rachelleedavies said:

because we have been led to believe that my husband has to have his degree before we can apply for the PR and he is 18 months away from qualifying. even though he has lots of years of experience.

I'd strongly suggest getting an initial consultation with a reputable agent so you fully understand your options.  As Quoll says, in many cases you can't count any experience that your husband had before he gets the degree, so that could be another obstacle. 

As Ali says, the rules are changing constantly and they never change in your favour!    You'd be amazed at the number of people who come to Australia on a temporary visa, thinking it'll be easy to apply for PR once they're here,and then fail - because the rules change between the date they arrive and the date they apply, and they're no longer eligible.  Just take a look at the 186/187 threads here (those are the people who arrived on a temp visa and are trying to get PR) and you'll see how stressful and uncertain the process is.   And that's not even considering the risks while you're on the temp visa - your husband will be at the mercy of his employer (he can't leave his job no matter how badly he's treated, or you'll all have to go home, and employers know that).  If he gets made redundant or if the employer goes broke you'll all be heading home too, and at short notice.  The government won't care if your child is in the middle of exams or you've just bought a house or whatever. 

Given all that, if you really want PR then it's much safer to be patient and wait to apply for PR from the UK.   

If you can find an employer who's willing to pay all your expenses, so you can afford to treat the temp visa as an adventure for a few years, then that's a whole different ballgame - go for it, it will be a great experience for all of you.  Just don't sell your home!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

On 03/11/2019 at 21:12, Rachelleedavies said:

... will apply for PR When we settle on a house.

Just to point out that if you buy a house while you're on the temp visa, you'll have to apply for special permission to buy (because you're not legally resident).  There's a fee of a few thousand dollars for the application, plus extra stamp duty when you buy.

To give you an example, let's say you buy a house worth $400,000.  If you had PR, you'd pay stamp duty of about $14,000.   As a Foreign Buyer, you'll have to pay an extra $30,000 or so.   The risk is that if your PR application gets refused after you've bought the house and you have to go home, you'll have to sell the house and will probably only get $400,000 for it.  So that means you're $44,000 out of pocket.