Hearing aids

samlab

Just purchased my first hearing aids, they cost me almost $8,000! & come with a 90 day money back guarantee. 

I’ve never had them before and was expecting to pay around $2,000 max

But Ive just found the exact same ones $2,500 cheaper at another clinic. 
We don’t have private heath insurance so have paid out of pocket and that’s a lot of money to us.

I feel a bit ripped off tbh.What would you do next?

Go back & explain the situation? In the hopes of a partial refund.

Ask for a full refund and go to the other clinic?

Really happy with the customer service and   timeframe with the company I purchased them from, so feel in a bit of a dilemma.

53 minutes ago, samlab said:

Just purchased my first hearing aids, they cost me almost $8,000! & come with a 90 day money back guarantee. 

We don’t have private heath insurance so have paid out of pocket and that’s a lot of money to us.

Really happy with the customer service and   timeframe with the company I purchased them from, so feel in a bit of a dilemma.

Don't you get them free in Australia?

My MIL got them free on the NHS. Only took three months from the first consultation.

Did you try Medicare?

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Don't you get them free in Australia?

My MIL got them free on the NHS. Only took three months from the first consultation.

Did you try Medicare?

Nope, user pays in Australia. Veterans and some pensioners may get concessions

Edited by Quoll

5 hours ago, samlab said:

I paid $3,000

Oddly enough I was fitted with my first hearing aids yesterday. I could have gotten the lowest level hearing aid free, (I am an Aussie pensioner now) but decided to go for the next level up and it will cost me just over $1000, includes batteries and service for a year. I too was amazed at the cost of these little things that sit behind the ear. To go to the level where you can do everything through Bluetooth connectability the price soars up to $3500 and that's not even halfway up the levels off the hearing aids on offer. I do have them for a two week trial period now where I can walkaway with no financial loss, but I shall see how the trial goes before I decide to upgrade or not.

Have just checked my Extras on my health cover and find out there is a 3 year waiting period to be able to claim for hearing aid assistance and I have another 20 months to wait for that.

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ali said:

I paid $3,000

What?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I should probably see if I can get them as I've always had some hearing loss in my right ear.

I know with glasses, I can pay £500, or £150 on the internet UK made, or less made in china. I imagine the same with hearing aids.

• Like 1

@newjez Sorry, can you say that again?? I didn’t hear you 😆 Yep,thats how it starts.

I thought that about hearing aids too but I’m told they are now bespoke programmed, according to your own hearing issues ie:high or low frequency decline. 
The cheap ones from China only amplify sounds you can already hear. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quoll said:

Nope, user pays in Australia. Veterans and some pensioners may get concessions

Veterans are looked after very well here.  One of our neighbours  - now in his mid eighties (served in the Korean war) receives the best of care in Burnie private hospital whenever anything goes wrong healthwise.  He is very tall and has a bad back so his doctor sends him off to hospital for a 'rest'.  He goes in for three weeks at a time two or three times a year.  Treated so well by all the nurses.  He's had knee replacements and hip replacements - all done free of charge in a private hospital and all dental free too - same for his wife.  My next door neighbour - now a widow - her husband served in Vietnam  ..............  all medical and dental private and free.  

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Veterans are looked after very well here.  One of our neighbours  - now in his mid eighties (served in the Korean war) receives the best of care in Burnie private hospital whenever anything goes wrong healthwise.  He is very tall and has a bad back so his doctor sends him off to hospital for a 'rest'.  He goes in for three weeks at a time two or three times a year.  Treated so well by all the nurses.  He's had knee replacements and hip replacements - all done free of charge in a private hospital and all dental free too - same for his wife.  My next door neighbour - now a widow - her husband served in Vietnam  ..............  all medical and dental private and free.  

Yup, they are indeed.  F-i-L (Changi Vet) and M-i-L were very well treated right across the board even when the M-i-L was widowed.  I wish UK would do the same for its vets!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, samlab said:

@ali yeah, they did a good sales job on me. They said the $3,000 wouldn’t suit my needs.

The people who I went to actually recommended these over the most expensive ones for my needs - I didn't feel ripped off at all.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, samlab said:

@newjez Sorry, can you say that again?? I didn’t hear you 😆 Yep,thats how it starts.

I thought that about hearing aids too but I’m told they are now bespoke programmed, according to your own hearing issues ie:high or low frequency decline. 
The cheap ones from China only amplify sounds you can already hear. 

I heard an ad on the radio that spec-savers are doing hearing aids .. the ad said call in for a 15 min test.  My hearing test was almost an hour - 15 mins feels like they're cutting corners.

1 hour ago, ali said:

I heard an ad on the radio that spec-savers are doing hearing aids .. the ad said call in for a 15 min test.  My hearing test was almost an hour - 15 mins feels like they're cutting corners.

Maybe thats an initial test and if your needs are more complex you get a referral for a longer one? Bit like eye tests, a simple one can be a few minutes but my eyes are so bad it takes nearer an hour. 

Update.. I went back to the place I brought them and said... The customer service has been brilliant but I’ve found the same hearing aids at another shop for $2,500 cheaper & feel disappointed.
They’ve made me an appointment to see the Audiologist next week & have led me to believe I’d get a refund or a price match. I’ll keep the post updated. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Maybe thats an initial test and if your needs are more complex you get a referral for a longer one? Bit like eye tests, a simple one can be a few minutes but my eyes are so bad it takes nearer an hour. 

You'd hope so.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update my post.

I have been offered a $1,500 refund. I’m told they offer a different service to the other company so they were unable to price match. I accepted, but it’s now 9 days later and the money still isn’t my account. I’ve called them again today and they are following it up with head office  but it shouldn’t be so hard to get my money back! 

Feeling really fed up with the whole thing tbh. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2019 at 09:41, Mike@Bonbeach said:

Oddly enough I was fitted with my first hearing aids yesterday. I could have gotten the lowest level hearing aid free, (I am an Aussie pensioner now) but decided to go for the next level up and it will cost me just over $1000, includes batteries and service for a year. I too was amazed at the cost of these little things that sit behind the ear. To go to the level where you can do everything through Bluetooth connectability the price soars up to $3500 and that's not even halfway up the levels off the hearing aids on offer. I do have them for a two week trial period now where I can walkaway with no financial loss, but I shall see how the trial goes before I decide to upgrade or not.

Have just checked my Extras on my health cover and find out there is a 3 year waiting period to be able to claim for hearing aid assistance and I have another 20 months to wait for that.

Mike

That's a great deal Mike.  I haven't got the Bluetooth ones and may consider.  I did look at the ones that go in your ear - but they were more noticeable than my behind the ear ones (which are actually really tiny).  I get batteries for 3 years and they'll do a full service check and repair just before the end of the 3 years.  I go back every 6 months and they do a full clean and any minor adjustments.  

On 15/11/2019 at 14:39, ali said:

That's a great deal Mike.  I haven't got the Bluetooth ones and may consider.  I did look at the ones that go in your ear - but they were more noticeable than my behind the ear ones (which are actually really tiny).  I get batteries for 3 years and they'll do a full service check and repair just before the end of the 3 years.  I go back every 6 months and they do a full clean and any minor adjustments.  

Mine are behind the ear, and it took a day or two to feel comfortable. I pay 60 bucks  a year for all batteries, any service required. The bluetoothand the app quite surprised me. The app even has a tinnitus program so you can fiddle  with the settings and play noise back into your ears. Hearing aids nowadays are so much more than just an amplifier.

The only part that is going to hurt is on Thursday when I have to cough up.

I have even been able to get rid of closed captions on the tele and reduce the volume from about 18 down to 13 or 14.

• Like 2

@Mike@Bonbeach Mine are Bluetooth too but I opted for the rechargeable ones. I’ve got to say they are life changing aren’t they. Wish I’d have gone sooner. I nearly cried when I could hear clearly again. That’s why I got carried away and spent so much money. 
I can even play music through them & still hear people when they speak to me.

One of the features ... If I activate a setting on my phone and put the phone within Bluetooth reach I can hear the conversation  😁 great for spying on people in another room ( the kids are worried) 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1