Can someone explain what "date deemed skilled" is in VETASSESS?

fox678

13 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

This is the date you are considered skilled in your occupation.

It has different context depending on the visa you are applying for.

A simplified example would be for a certain career, vetassess say their definition of "skilled" is having a relevant degree and three years of applicable work experience.

Now in your country you might be deemed skilled on passing the degree (lets say you graduated 25/10/2009) - so you think you've been "skilled" for 10 years.

However in reality you took 2 years straight from UNI and went travelling. (travel finished 25/10/2011)

Came home and did 2 years working in your career. (work finished 25/10/2013)

Then took 4 years out to look after kids until school age (kid care finished 25/10/2017)

You've now got a job in your career again and stil working in it. 

So you didn't actually reach the required 3 years of experience until 25/10/2018 so that is you "skilled" date for VETASSESS - so as off today you have one year of work experience for immigration points purposes (the amount of time worked in a relevant role since your "skilled" date)

The actual process is more involved, but this gives you a very high level view of how it applies

• Thanks 1

For many occupations a 'highly relevant' qualification followed by one year of 'highly relevant, paid employment is enough for VETASSESS to 'deem' an applicant competent and for subsequent relevant employment to be counted for immigration points, or for other immigration purposes. For some occupations, if the qualification is not assessed as highly relevant then further work experience and/or relevant certifications can be counted.

For an answer specific to your case you might let a registered migration agent have a look at your qualification/s and work experience documents, otherwise you are unlikely to find a better answer than the one Paul has posted.

22 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

A simplified example would be for a certain career, vetassess say their definition of "skilled" is having a relevant degree and three years of applicable work experience.

Now in your country you might be deemed skilled on passing the degree (lets say you graduated 25/10/2009) - so you think you've been "skilled" for 10 years.

However in reality you took 2 years straight from UNI and went travelling. (travel finished 25/10/2011)

Came home and did 2 years working in your career. (work finished 25/10/2013)

Then took 4 years out to look after kids until school age (kid care finished 25/10/2017)

You've now got a job in your career again and stil working in it. 

So you didn't actually reach the required 3 years of experience until 25/10/2018 so that is you "skilled" date for VETASSESS - so as off today you have one year of work experience for immigration points purposes (the amount of time worked in a relevant role since your "skilled" date)

The actual process is more involved, but this gives you a very high level view of how it applies

Thank you very, very much for the thorough answer! So basically, if my occupation requires 1 year of post qualification work experience for the skills assessment and I have that, I will pass the skills assessment but won't be able to claim immigration points as that 1 year was used for the assessment, right?

10 hours ago, fox678 said:

Thank you very, very much for the thorough answer! So basically, if my occupation requires 1 year of post qualification work experience for the skills assessment and I have that, I will pass the skills assessment but won't be able to claim immigration points as that 1 year was used for the assessment, right?

Thats how I take it yes, but an agent would know better