Very confused... need your help

13 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

California , might be the place for you ?

As you always advise @bunbury61  ................  choose carefully where you live.  Those bushfires there are pretty bad just now.  Parts of Northern California faced the prospect of new infernos and power outages affecting more than 2 million people as potentially high winds were forecast to sweep into the state over the weekend, almost a year after the most destructive fire in California history left 85 people dead.  😧  

14 hours ago, Toots said:

As you always advise @bunbury61  ................  choose carefully where you live.  Those bushfires there are pretty bad just now.  Parts of Northern California faced the prospect of new infernos and power outages affecting more than 2 million people as potentially high winds were forecast to sweep into the state over the weekend, almost a year after the most destructive fire in California history left 85 people dead.  😧  

Yes, certainly not good over there right now 😞 

On 27/10/2019 at 08:26, Gummygirl said:

Hola Latino,

Like you, I am not originally from Australia nor the UK but moved to Sydney almost twenty years ago and got citizenship.  I felt lonely during the first few years, even bored, but that changed when I met my husband and started a new chapter.

Over time I started to feel disconnected.  Day to day is quite busy when you have a young child so it took me a while to realise that I was in fact, quite lonely.  Met lots of nice people but didn't necessarily feel that they could really...understand.  

Many of my close friends live in the US, a few in the UK.  My husband is British, and it was on a holiday to the UK in 2015 when we realised that, even after all those good years of living in Sydney, we still had more fun chatting and connecting with UK friends.  And being in our mid-forties, we thought forward to the future and realised that we didn't want to find ourselves old in Sydney.

I have no desire to return to my country of birth although I am fortunate enough to travel there on a regular basis.  And so we began to look at the UK and moved in summer of 2016.  In short, we are very happy here.  But what might be more interesting for you is that I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of my good friends from the US and elsewhere who I've seen since we moved here.  In Sydney our spare room was pretty much empty the whole time.  People either found it expensive to visit once they had kids and mortgages, or they'd come once and never again because they had crossed Australia off their bucket list.   What I've realised from living here is that there's always some reason for people to come to the UK.  So even if people wouldn't normally come over just to see us, we've met up with friends who were 'in the area' for other things like watching Wimbledon or plays, visiting other parts of Europe, visiting their kids at university, etc.  Even our Australian friends have dropped by as part of their annual three week 'pilgrimage' to Europe. I've also found it easier to meet friends even when the UK isn't on the itinerary (e.g. Eurostar).   In fact our summer was so busy seeing visiting friends that I haven't had much chance to spend time with local friends.  Which brings its own challenges but I wouldn't have it any other way and our lives here feel fuller in a way that they didn't in the UK.  

So I think you're on the right track by recognising that you will be more likely to see family (and old friends) by being based in the US than Australia.  And don't underestimate the positive effect of that on your mental health.  Sometimes just knowing people are that bit closer can make all the difference.  Of course it helps if you're somewhere that's easy to visit.  I'm sure it helps that we're an hour away from London and not miles away (although we live in a little village that feels miles away and I love that aspect of it too).  I agree with previous replies that Florida is a good bet, even California or New York.  Lots of cheap(er) direct flights.  Anyway you'll never know unless you try.  It may not be easy but you'll have peace of mind knowing that you tried.  

Ask yourself--where do you see yourself growing old?  And if the answer is not Australia, then it's time to pack those bags and start your next adventure.

Hi there, thanks very much for your reply and taking the time to write... people like you understand...

Absolutely, I don't see myself getting old in Australia , thinking this terrifies me, I couldn't imagine living here later in life...

I always thought I was the problem but then when I discovered so many stories, I realized other people are going through the same...

I think inside me I know what I have to do (leave) but then I get anxious thinking I won't adapt in another country or I will feel worse, but I guess these thoughts are caused by some depression I got from living here, and I might be more Australian from what I think (in some ways) but I will never belong here...

I think Australia has many good things, don't get me wrong, it's just not suitable for me I think, also, same as you, as I get older, I feel more and more disconnected from this place, and I think these feelings will get worse later in life, not better. I am not being pessimistic but realistic, not sure if this makes sense? I mean I don't think I fit in Australia...

Cheers 🙂 

19 hours ago, Toots said:

Hello there, yes I thought about it, but not sure where I will go... have you been in the US for holidays?

1 hour ago, latino79 said:

Hello there, yes I thought about it, but not sure where I will go... have you been in the US for holidays?

I lived in California many years ago for a while and saw a lot of the USA while I was there.  I was on holiday in the USA last year - east coast.  Our son is working in New York.  I feel far more at home in Australia than I did in the States but that's just how I feel.  Everyone is different. 🙂

Good luck wherever you choose to live next!