Going home soon (Personal Diary?)

Vickie78

3 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Hi Vickie78, I do have my UK mobile number registered as well with my bank, but SMS access codes will only be sent to Australian numbers (been told that is for security reasons) and I do use the bank's app most of the time too. Yes, my bank can turn off the SMS notifications, but then I can't do any money transfers , there is no other notification available for the transfers that I do. I bank with BW, and very happy with them too.

I ONLY use my Australian mobile to receive SMS bank access codes, so no, not using up much credit at all. Of my last top of $30, I only used about $3 only so it's a very cheap and easy way to keep my Australian number, and make life easier with online banking.

Good luck with your move.

For the past 8 years I've needed to keep an Aus number and a right pita it is too but you can get a 12 month "number keeper" with Vodafone and ask them for International Roaming with it. Works out at $20 a year for me but it may have gone up now. My bank won't register a UK number but the credit card co will. Which reminds me, it's due for renewal at the end of this month.

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Hi Vickie78, I do have my UK mobile number registered as well with my bank, but SMS access codes will only be sent to Australian numbers (been told that is for security reasons) and I do use the bank's app most of the time too. Yes, my bank can turn off the SMS notifications, but then I can't do any money transfers , there is no other notification available for the transfers that I do. I bank with BW, and very happy with them too.

I ONLY use my Australian mobile to receive SMS bank access codes, so no, not using up much credit at all. Of my last top of $30, I only used about $3 only so it's a very cheap and easy way to keep my Australian number, and make life easier with online banking.

Good luck with your move.

Oh right, that's good to know 🙂 I want to get rid of my Optus phone due to issues, they said I can hand it back and not pay or pay $500 and contract cancelled, I've basically had minimal/no signal since moving here (have to use wifi calling) and they said it would be fixed, but here we are a year later so they agreed I have a case. Anyway if i can get a pre-paid Aussie number, I'll just do that I think, as my phone has dual sim, so then I can stick a UK one in there too, covers all bases. Everyday I'll use UK . Bank stuff, Aussie number. 

I love how you find out random tips just being on here. Cheers 😉 

29 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

Can you do the cash out while paying at a register thing in the UK like you can here , on debit card. Couldn't find an answer on google? Aussie and/or UK cards. 

We never tried it so I can't say.  However like I say, if you get an ING account then you can use the debit card to take money out at any bank's ATM and not pay a fee, so we never really needed to try.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

We never tried it so I can't say.  However like I say, if you get an ING account then you can use the debit card to take money out at any bank's ATM and not pay a fee, so we never really needed to try.

Good point. Duh me again lol

On 08/01/2020 at 00:38, Vickie78 said:

Can you do the cash out while paying at a register thing in the UK like you can here , on debit card. Couldn't find an answer on google? Aussie and/or UK cards. 

Not sure as I've never tried to do that, but free ATM's are everywhere here, well they are where I am, so very easy to get cash at any time of day or night.

On 08/01/2020 at 00:38, Vickie78 said:

You can do cash back at most checkouts...I think max is £50 also there are more cash machines popping up that charge you for using them.

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Not sure as I've never tried to do that, but free ATM's are everywhere here, well they are where I am, so very easy to get cash at any time of day or night.

However the ATM's are not free if you have an overseas card.   If you have an account with ING, ING refunds you the fee within a few hours of the transaction.  I'm not aware of any other bank that refunds the fee.  

19 minutes ago, Lavers said:

You can do cash back at most checkouts...I think max is £50 also there are more cash machines popping up that charge you for using them.

What about if you're using an overseas card?   We used our cards at checkouts but we never tried to see if the cashback worked, or if there was a charge associated

43 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What about if you're using an overseas card?   We used our cards at checkouts but we never tried to see if the cashback worked, or if there was a charge associated

Not sure on that one. I use a card called revolut when I'm abroad, you just link it to your normal bank for east transfers and theres no charges. Also they give a better exchange rate compared to any where else.

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

Not sure on that one. I use a card called revolut when I'm abroad, you just link it to your normal bank for east transfers and theres no charges. Also they give a better exchange rate compared to any where else.

thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it before.  This review seems quite positive, though the complaints about customer service in the comments are a worry:

https://moneycheck.com/revolut-review/

Not available to Australians though.

Edited by Marisawright

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it before.  This review seems quite positive, though the complaints about customer service in the comments are a worry:

https://moneycheck.com/revolut-review/

Not available to Australians though.

It worked well for paying my fees for my visa etc as I didn't get any bank charges, probably saved me  a few hundred pound 👍

• Like 2

There's a few of those app based banks now, there is also Monzo and Monese and some others that have excellent reviews. Britbound actually suggested those to me, you can open once in the UK, requires passport/address(any uk address)  and a selfie for security. Salary etc can also be paid into them, and I may not even bother with a bricks and mortar Bank, will see how it pans out I guess and whether I need a 'traditional' account or not. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

There's a few of those app based banks now... I may not even bother with a bricks and mortar Bank, will see how it pans out I guess and whether I need a 'traditional' account or not. 

Have a read of the comments on that article I linked to.  While it all looks very positive in the reviews, the comments show that when things go wrong, it's not easy to get things sorted out.

That doesn't surprise me because most online businesses are the same.  Look at eBay, PayPal, Amazon, AirBnB etc.   All great when they work, but their customer service is faceless and frustrating to deal with.   Customer service at bricks and mortar banks can be appalling too, but at least you can march into a branch and create merry hell if all else fails!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Have a read of the comments on that article I linked to.  While it all looks very positive in the reviews, the comments show that when things go wrong, it's not easy to get things sorted out.

That doesn't surprise me because most online businesses are the same.  Look at eBay, PayPal, Amazon, AirBnB etc.   All great when they work, but their customer service is faceless and frustrating to deal with.   Customer service at bricks and mortar banks can be appalling too, but at least you can march into a branch and create merry hell if all else fails!

I will more than likely have both,  it's good to have back ups. I have my ING set up and ready to go, got my card the other day, stil have HSBC global and MoneyCorp of course. So plenty of options for the time being, until it all gets sorted once we are back in Blighty. 🙂 

Edited by Vickie78

Car is sold. Stuff listed on Facebook is pretty much flying out the door (a couple of things via Gumtree) Plane tickets booked. Just need to sort out Move cube (have two more boxes to pack and then done) and accommodation (still can't decide where to start) but we have decided to have a little Holiday before settling down and getting back into real life, as it's been a while between one of those. 

Nerves, excitement, anxiety and happiness all rolled into one right now. Breathe!! LOL

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

Car is sold. Stuff listed on Facebook is pretty much flying out the door (a couple of things via Gumtree) Plane tickets booked. Just need to sort out Move cube (have two more boxes to pack and then done) and accommodation (still can't decide where to start) but we have decided to have a little Holiday before settling down and getting back into real life, as it's been a while between one of those. 

Nerves, excitement, anxiety and happiness all rolled into one right now. Breathe!! LOL

OMG! It's all happening! Good to hear that things are selling well!!!

• Thanks 1

Cats are off tomorrow, found a lovely couple who are taking both together. I will miss them like crazy but can rest knowing they are going to a great home and they are going to stay in touch and keep me updated. 

Real Estate got my notice to Vacate on Monday - All good! , sent via Email. Check

Later that afternoon "You have an open inspection booked for 25th" via text, yesterday "Your open inspection is now advertised for xyz address" 9:20 on A Saturday.... NICE! (Not)

Anyhoo I looked up my rights as I thought, hold up this isn't quite right. I was correct. A) They are meant to ask me first (and I have to agree in writing) not just tell me, B) They are meant to negotiate a suitable time, again not just tell me. So I will be having words when they rock up this weekend. RUDE! 🤬 I have no issue with it, they need to find new Tenants, I get that. But no, you will not just tell me when and expect me to jump. Grrrr. 

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 3

My fur babies have gone to their new home 😭 One settled in straight away, Gizmo. He obviously doesn't miss me! (lol),  Penny has gone into hiding. Their new humans sent me pics last night, but she'll come around as she as her bro from another mother there. 🤞 They are lovely people and the cats will be spoiled rotten. So while I am  very sad, I am glad they are safe and loved and will live their best life. 

Here is Gizmo loving his new home 

IMG_3600(1).jpg

IMG_3598(1).jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

My fur babies have gone to their new home 😭 One settled in straight away, Gizmo. He obviously doesn't miss me! (lol),  Penny has gone into hiding. Their new humans sent me pics last night, but she'll come around as she as her bro from another mother there. 🤞 They are lovely people and the cats will be spoiled rotten. So while I am  very sad, I am glad they are safe and loved and will live their best life. 

Here is Gizmo loving his new home 

IMG_3600(1).jpg

IMG_3598(1).jpg

I really sympathise, I left my much loved Siamese behind with friends when we moved overseas. She was absolutely my cat, however she quickly transferred her affection to my friend !!! I was relieved, but a little hurt!!! Hope they both settle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel booked near airport.

Hire car booked to avoid Taxi/traffic headache/no need to rush.

Need to book someone to take couch/beds and some other bits. 

Slightly annoyed Bin wasn't emptied properly this morning and Recycling not until next weekend, doh! Have a lot of stuff to put in it, already full from last empty >.<  (annoying not having a car anymore)

Sevenseas said I will get a text by 6pm day before pick up (Friday) all boxes packed/marked with details as required. 

Feeling sick with only 8 days to go... Breathe!!!!! 

• Like 1

Well today was fun, Seven Seas called me and basically told me I Booked the wrong thing, and that I Needed a move cube... Eh? That's what I booked.. Nope stupid me booked single box service, anyway large will be $1700 or medium $948 , me .. bloody marvellous!!!!!!!! Sigh. Anyhoo got the dimensions of the cubes, measured it on the floor/wall of garage. All my crap fits in a medium PHEW! So only ended up being an extra $38 from original quote.

Log in, inventory has gone, call then back.. er guys where's my documents... Oh sorry you have to do them again (bang head on desk). login go to do inventory, everything is now listed as individual items, which i then I have to delete ONE BY ONE... Seriously?

Try to add my boxes eg: box 1 contains x, y, z nope can't do it *scratches head* calls them back.. on hold 20 mins.. speak to someone.. Hello I'm trying to redo my documents because I have been updated to Movecube etc.. I can't seem to add Box 1, and the itemised list, Box 2 Etc like I did originally with box dimensions. You need to list each item individually.. but I Just deleted them all...*bang head again*

So one by one Box one X item, Box one second item, box one third item - FFFFFSSSSSSSSS What the hell....

Oh and when they changed me to Movecube, did they book it in for the 14th as per original booking?  Nooooooooo so then I find out they might not have one available on Friday (panic ensues) But I booked the 14th originally, oh sorry, we might have one, but it might have to be earlier (i stressed a thousand times we are leaviing on the 17th).. (lucky I have packed everything hey) so allegedly they will call me in the morning to confirm.

So that was my day.. thank god for Pizza and Wine! 

Oh one good thing got some quotes to remove some furniture that isn't sellable eg mattresses, couch (it's fkd) one bloke wanted $780 (piss off) another nice chap is doing it for $300 so that's something.

Ooof! 

Eta: Wow just got a text via the tradey service stating Mr $780 is requesting payment.. just txt him asking why when i never booked him (told him i wanted to get more quotes)  *insert BS reason* Delete/Block. Piss off Mr. 

Tomorrow is going to be fine... >.< 

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 3

Found a buyer for my fridge a lovely lady who has just moved to Australia. She is also going to take my dining table (which was listed free no bites tho to date) and I told her she can take whatever I have left by then if she likes, oh and the washing machine (also listed free as it's old) if the person who claims to be coming Friday falls through, So that's that. As I said the other crap is leaving Monday via the rubbish removal bloke.

Oh and Gardner is coming tomorrow to do backyard, carpets on Monday annnnnnd that will be it! Oh and Movecube is coming tomorrow morning instead of the 14th as well HOORAY!  

So that's that.. We made it! Woo hoo 

• Congratulations 2