Going home soon (Personal Diary?)

Vickie78

I just thought I would I start an online Diary of my steps to going Home/Getting there (Good for me to keep track, and perhaps useful info/timeline for others once more is added) -

Just a tad excited, anxious and excited. 😛 💃

August - Dummy quote for Movecube done.
19th September went to Aus Post to get Photos done, got home realised Photos were not in fact within UK guidelines all of them (stupid me for not checking, but they harp on about being professional pp photo takers) - Ugh! 
20th September went back to Aus Post got Photos re-done lady claimed I didn't say UK passport day before (I damn well did) , they printed larger ones (correct) and small ones(wrong that's for Aussie passports) Again snapped my head off, as i mentioned. My eldest sons photo again had shadow on his face (could not see his eyes properly) , checked before leaving this time! Had to do yet another one... Lady was quite rude, "You Brits make everything difficult" *jaw on floor* Umm wow, I don't make the Passport rules lady! (Said in my head)  
27th September 2019. HMPO Received our docs for first time passports.
14th October 2019 Passports Approved/Printed - YIPPEE! That was fast! 
17th October 2019 Called Aussie passport line and Immigration both said kids SHOULD be able to leave on British Passports -  But we may be pulled over for questions, main concern seemed to be Court Orders of which, we have NONE (No bother have all the docs we need proving I'm their Mother, who they are and that we have their Dads permission ) Clear as mud though, I found  it odd especially the Immigration hotline. I'm going to assume because they did in fact not state YOU MUST have one or else, then a few questions isn't going to bother me and the must have is more so for entering Australia(well duh).   
19th October - Opened HSBC Global card online. 
20th October 2019 List made of all our stuff, sorted into Throw, Take, Sell or give away
22nd October Original Documents (minus one, need to contact HMPO and see what happened to it 😕 ) + Passports all delivered, the main things are back (Birth Certs/PP's) though. PHEW! 
Passports Signed and locked away! HSBC text message stating card on the way.

To Do ~ In no particular order

Sell/giveaway/throw stuff, Sell car.

Link my New Passport to VEVO so Aussie Border force don't think we (Mum and I)  arrived by teleport back in the 90's and magically stayed here for 26 years upon leaving Australia, However Mum also still has her old PP with the PR Visa Sticker in it, so meh. 

Do ToR application

Book Movecube 

Clean stuff/Pack

Finalise Bills, Kids School , Notify ATO etc and so on

Get phone unlocked so can use in U.K or Take my old phone and not bother, haven't decided yet, might just get a UK SIM online and do it that way. Decisions/Decisions. 

Notify Real Estate/Hand in keys/Sort out Bond

Book Accommodation UK until we can secure a Rental.

Buy Plane Tickets

Pack luggage, GO HOME! 

• Like 4
  • Congratulations 2

Going well Vickie! We are doing much the same in the opposite direction and the DH has put a big Gantt chart up on the kitchen wall, much like your list! I will confess to some procrastination because clearing out my parents house and getting all the POA stuff on Dad's affairs in order is altogether too huge to view with equanimity but one of my sons always lived by the adage "if it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done!" So I'm hanging on to that!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Well done Vickie. 😀

When is it you are leaving Australia.  Before Christmas or after?

Mid-Late Jan is the plan. As much as We'd love to go before Xmas, I Think I Would certainly go insane trying to do all that in a month ish eeek. 2/3 Months is short enough to rush around haha. We'll just look forward to the following Xmas at home 😉 

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

Going well Vickie! We are doing much the same in the opposite direction and the DH has put a big Gantt chart up on the kitchen wall, much like your list! I will confess to some procrastination because clearing out my parents house and getting all the POA stuff on Dad's affairs in order is altogether too huge to view with equanimity but one of my sons always lived by the adage "if it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done!" So I'm hanging on to that!

When are you off? I love that quote, I shall write it out and stick it on my Fridge! Yes sorting out stuff and things is the long hard part. If I could just yell MOVING OVERSEAS COME AND GET IT It would be much easier? LOL! 

When you come to sell, these are my tips as someone that sold pretty much everything. 

1. Although we might be a digital economy now, I had the best results from posters on the IGA. 

2. Gumtree was effective but a serious pain in the neck. Though got a very good price for the car on there.

3. Have a garage sale for the left overs. But make sure you put plenty of good signs out. I emptied a garage in a morning. Managed to get the last visitor to take the last of the tat for a bargain (stuff I was going to have to bin otherwise). Finished the garage sale about an hour before having to head for the airport for the flight back. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

When you come to sell, these are my tips as someone that sold pretty much everything. 

1. Although we might be a digital economy now, I had the best results from posters on the IGA. 

2. Gumtree was effective but a serious pain in the neck. Though got a very good price for the car on there.

3. Have a garage sale for the left overs. But make sure you put plenty of good signs out. I emptied a garage in a morning. Managed to get the last visitor to take the last of the tat for a bargain (stuff I was going to have to bin otherwise). Finished the garage sale about an hour before having to head for the airport for the flight back. 

Wowsers an hour before? That must have been stressful. 

I will certainly take your tips on board, and explicitly stating moving overseas, no time wasters etc (I'm sure there will be some though).  Thank you 🙂 

ETA: What sort of things were left for the Garage sale, smaller bits and bobs? 

Edited by Vickie78

Recently sold some stuff. Used Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace.  Facebook was by far the best, more enquires and everything sold via them to one item went on Gumtree.

If you want decent money don’t say fire sale though.  Sell those items early if you can.  Anything you don’t sell take to charity.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

When are you off? I love that quote, I shall write it out and stick it on my Fridge! Yes sorting out stuff and things is the long hard part. If I could just yell MOVING OVERSEAS COME AND GET IT It would be much easier? LOL! 

No idea! Probably before Christmas at this rate. Exchange 6/12, complete 19/12 is the protection then depending if DS1 and his family are home or not we might impose upon them for Christmas or take advantage of the lower fares over Christmas itself and fly then. It's the logistics of the last days that worry me  - what do we sleep on, when do we get rid of the cars (how do we get rid of the cars!!!) etc that worry me. I shouldn't worry though, we did it before in 6 weeks (including, would you believe, getting me a PR visa!) but that was 40 years ago!

Have you got a date?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quoll said:

No idea! Probably before Christmas at this rate. Exchange 6/12, complete 19/12 is the protection then depending if DS1 and his family are home or not we might impose upon them for Christmas or take advantage of the lower fares over Christmas itself and fly then. It's the logistics of the last days that worry me  - what do we sleep on, when do we get rid of the cars (how do we get rid of the cars!!!) etc that worry me. I shouldn't worry though, we did it before in 6 weeks (including, would you believe, getting me a PR visa!) but that was 40 years ago!

Have you got a date?

OMG YES! The when to get rid of beds/car etc is making me stress too. I would go tomorrow If I could, but yeah. Aiming for mid Jan ideally, around the time my lease runs out. 🙂 

20 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

Wowsers an hour before? That must have been stressful. 

I will certainly take your tips on board, and explicitly stating moving overseas, no time wasters etc (I'm sure there will be some though).  Thank you 🙂 

ETA: What sort of things were left for the Garage sale, smaller bits and bobs? 

No, was just a bit surreal. I finished the sale, took the dog for a walk around the golf course and jumped in a cab. 

Things that were left, were surf boards, garden tools, some pots and pans,, some other general kitchen stuff, things like cheap bedside lamps from ikea. You will be surprised how much tit tat you will have. IT was huge. And I mean huge. Just stuff, nobody is going to buy online. For example, have a bin in the house? Have some plant pots, all the general tat. Oh, but that general tat actually raised about $800. Which I had previously been wondering how to get to a dump. Oh, and we are not big on having "stuff" we like to be a bit more minimal 

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

No, was just a bit surreal. I finished the sale, took the dog for a walk around the golf course and jumped in a cab. 

Things that were left, were surf boards, garden tools, some pots and pans,, some other general kitchen stuff, things like cheap bedside lamps from ikea. You will be surprised how much tit tat you will have. IT was huge. And I mean huge. Just stuff, nobody is going to buy online. For example, have a bin in the house? Have some plant pots, all the general tat. Oh, but that general tat actually raised about $800. Which I had previously been wondering how to get to a dump. Oh, and we are not big on having "stuff" we like to be a bit more minimal 

We have Hard waste collection coming up soon, so a lot of the non sellable tat (broken/last leg stuff ) will be thrown out. But good to know people will perhaps buy the rest via a Garage Sale, we too don't have a lot of "stuff". I hate clutter.  But yes mainly Kitchen stuff will be left and some other bits. $800 is pretty bloody impressive I must say, well done!

I think our beds and one TV (Kids won't survive if I got rid of both (the other being a small one in my bedroom) too soon) will just have to go to the tip. I'll hire a van and chuck it in I guess, I was going to get a skip, but nowhere to put one here really. 

Money, I woke up last night thinking shit what if cards don't work when we get there (Will be telling the bank of course) Surely I should take some cash with me? Just in case. How much can you take into the UK without raising eyebrows? 

Edited by Vickie78

3 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

Money, I woke up last night thinking shit what if cards don't work when we get there (Will be telling the bank of course) Surely I should take some cash with me? Just in case. How much can you take into the UK without raising eyebrows? 

I loaded up a currency card. Mine was with Westpac and I could withdraw cash in the uk for free using Barclays cash points. Worked well wile I opened a bank account and moved money via Moneycorp into said bank account! 😊

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I loaded up a currency card. Mine was with Westpac and I could withdraw cash in the uk for free using Barclays cash points. Worked well wile I opened a bank account and moved money via Moneycorp into said bank account! 😊

Oh derp, why didn't I think of that.. LOL Thank you 😄 

• Haha 1

Your Aus cards will work just fine anywhere in the world if you tell the bank.  Just be aware of any charges for withdrawing and spending foreign currency.  We still have our UK bank account and on holidays we use those cards as they charge MUCH less than the Aussie banks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Your Aus cards will work just fine anywhere in the world if you tell the bank.  Just be aware of any charges for withdrawing and spending foreign currency.  We still have our UK bank account and on holidays we use those cards as they charge MUCH less than the Aussie banks!

Oh I know, just one of those what if moments.  I opened an HSBC Global so will be using that in the interim until a UK bank account is ready to go. No fees etc. 

• Like 1

Just realised I can't edit my OP. Doh! 

So the seed of doubt has been firmly planted and I will be applying for Australian Passports for the kids... Curse my goody two shoes brain.  I may as well flush $300 down the loo though as they will literally never be used again... blah

37 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

So the seed of doubt has been firmly planted and I will be applying for Australian Passports for the kids... Curse my goody two shoes brain.  I may as well flush $300 down the loo though as they will literally never be used again... blah

What a pest but better to be safe than sorry Vickie.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

Bummer! Welcome to the Goody Two Shoes club!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

Hi Vickie78, when we moved back a few months ago, I bought a few £ at the airport (about 100 ) just to have some cash in our pockets when we landed, then used our Australian credit cards everywhere until our UK bank account was set up and working.

I transferred money to pay off the credit card using online banking via the banking app every few days like I would do anyway in Australia, so did not pay any interest or any extras. Easy.

• Thanks 1

Called Immigration as couldn't find a way to link old PR Visa to my new Passport (thought you needed proof as how you are here when leaving?) as mentioned on website via Immi acc. Don't need too as leaving, only an issue if returning, then I would need to link via form emailed and of course get an RRV.  I did mention still had old PP with label in it, so said I would take that just in case, and she said that's fine. 

I'm currently banging my head on the desk as I also asked bout kids passports I said they are 11 and 12 so are they not automatically citizens (the 10 year rule) ,yes but need to apply for certificate. I said APO said I just need their Dads BC (as he was born before 86) she then says yes that's by decent so that's fine... Do they even know what they are doing? 🙄

You need to apply for evidence of their citizenship to apply for a passport.  This is usually pretty quick, do it online.

You can link your new passport to your visa by opening an immi account you need to do this anyway for the citizenship evidence for the kids.  There is a change of circumstances form you can complete with new passport details. 

Don’t rely on advice from immigration staff!

5 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

You need to apply for evidence of their citizenship to apply for a passport.  This is usually pretty quick, do it online.

You can link your new passport to your visa by opening an immi account you need to do this anyway for the citizenship evidence for the kids.  There is a change of circumstances form you can complete with new passport details. 

Don’t rely on advice from immigration staff!

Passport Application notes and the information line both say only need their BC and Their Dads as he is an Aussie citizen, I'm seriously about to throw something. 

ETA; No option online as she said because the original application wasn't done online back in 1992 the record is there but I can't link my passport. I printed Visa status anyway has that option, so that will do it's proof no? as is Mums old Passport with my bloody name in it and on her Visa Label.  I'm very tempted to say fuck it soon, they can just haul me over the coals when we leave, and i'll turn around and say well I keep getting told conflicting information from your supposed experts. 🤬

2 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

Passport Application notes and the information line both say only need their BC and Their Dads as he is an Aussie citizen, I'm seriously about to throw something. 

ETA; No option online as she said because the original application wasn't done online back in 1992 the record is there but I can't link my passport. I printed Visa status anyway has that option, so that will do it's proof no? as is Mums old Passport with my bloody name in it and on her Visa Label.  I'm very tempted to say fuck it soon, they can just haul me over the coals when we leave, and i'll turn around and say well I keep getting told conflicting information from your supposed experts. 🤬

I totally understand your sheer frustration.

However, save some patience, you will need bucket loads when you get back here.
Dealing with energy suppliers and my internet provider here in the UK have at times reduced me to tears, literally.