School Fees on a Sponsored Visa

Purpleleaf

We in the process of applying to go to NSW - Sydney (hopefully) and weighing out the pros and cons

My daughter is currently in P4 so the equivalent grade in Aus

Is upward of $5000 include books, text books etc,  Are there any rebates from the government, like something similar to child care credits that we get in the Uk?

I know extra murals will be at an additional cost. 

We in the process of applying to go to NSW - Sydney (hopefully) and weighing out the pros and cons
Is upward of $5000 include books, text books etc,  Are there any rebates from the government, like something similar to child care credits that we get in the Uk?

You will only have to pay school fee for kids if you’re on student visa yourself. I remember when I came to Australia back in 2005 I started year 9 and didn’t have to pay any school fees at all. We were back on 457 visa sponsored by employer.

1 hour ago, 07Nov2017 said:

You will only have to pay school fee for kids if you’re on student visa yourself. I remember when I came to Australia back in 2005 I started year 9 and didn’t have to pay any school fees at all. We were back on 457 visa sponsored by employer.

I would recommend double checking as things have changed a lot since 2005. 

• Like 1

In March this year, the fees for 482 visa holders were $5,200 per year primary and $6,200 per year High school in NSW.  This usually won't include books - most schools issue a book list at the beginning of each year of what's needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 07Nov2017 said:

Sadly, now untrue. Temporary residents pay school fees in ACT, NSW, WA, SA and Tasmania - all somewhere in the region of $5k or above (ACT is double that)

Temporary residents don't get any help to pay for school fees. 

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Just to say this is only for temporary employer sponsored visas.  PR sponsored visas do not incur extra school fees.

Please excuse my ignorance, but which visa types includes PR sponsored visas?

Do you mean for example the TSS visa that eventually converts to sponsorship? Or something similar?

2 minutes ago, Purpleleaf said:

Do you mean for example the TSS visa that eventually converts to sponsorship? Or something similar?

187 and 186, but these might be changing soon. TSS is temporary and will attract school fees as mentioned.  No TSS converts to PR, you still need to qualify and apply for a permanent visa even if your employer agrees to sponsor you for PR

TSS visas are designed to fill short term gaps in the market not for people to migrate permanently, it used to be more common for people to arrive on a temp sponsored visa then get PR as a matter of course but not any more. 

• Like 1

Friends of ours were near Sydney between 2013 and 2016 and had to pay school fees for their three children because they were on a 457...

• 1 month later...
On 19/10/2019 at 18:33, Purpleleaf said:

I think you mean PR not sponsorship?   The TSS visa does not convert to PR.   It is a temporary visa for 2 to 4 years and then, if you are lucky, you may be able to apply for PR but there is no guarantee you'll get it.  With a TSS visa, you should always assume you're going home at the end of it, and negotiate relocation costs with the employer accordingly (and don't sell your house). 

The state sponsored visas are provisional visas, not temporary visas, which means they have a defined pathway to convert to PR provided you meet the requirements at the time. 

On 19/10/2019 at 03:43, Purpleleaf said:

If you don't have a very strong reason to go to Sydney, I'd avoid it like the plague.  

Ask yourself, if you were transferred to London tomorrow, doing the job you do now, could you afford a home in London?   If not, you can't afford a home in Sydney.

If you're keen on NSW and you're a nurse, teacher or have a trade, I would head for Newcastle where the house prices are much cheaper and the quality of life is miles better.

On 19/10/2019 at 02:43, Purpleleaf said:

Note also that if you need to use out of hours school care you would have to pay full whack$$$ on a temp visa. If you had PR you get government rebates on this.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you don't have a very strong reason to go to Sydney, I'd avoid it like the plague.  

Ask yourself, if you were transferred to London tomorrow, doing the job you do now, could you afford a home in London?   If not, you can't afford a home in Sydney.

If you're keen on NSW and you're a nurse, teacher or have a trade, I would head for Newcastle where the house prices are much cheaper and the quality of life is miles better.

That's a very personal opinion.

It really depends on the individual and what is important to them in terms of lifestyle preferences etc.

I now live in Perth where house prices are less than half of that in Sydney (& better beaches & climate) but would be back in inner Sydney in a heartbeat if family commitments didn't keep me in Perth.

In any case, if the OP is coming on an employer sponsored visa, they won't have much choice on where they are located.

To the OP, you will be up for $5-$8k pa in school fees.

What's probably more important though is that there is no guarantee of PR at the end of your sponsorship.  You are tied to your employer also.  Very much treat it as a temporary (2-4 years) opportunity to live and work in Oz and not expect to migrant permantently based on this.

19 minutes ago, Collie said:

No it isn't, it's based on fact.  Just look at the house prices.  Someone coming from London might not bat an eyelid, but someone coming from Scotland would be in for a big shock.

I lived in Sydney and I still feel nostalgic for it (I now live in Melbourne).

From other posts, it appears that he has a family, in which case he'd be crazy to take an employer-sponsored visa anyway, due to the great uncertainty of obtaining PR.

Edited by Marisawright

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

No it isn't, it's based on fact.  Just look at the house prices.

I said that IF he was set on NSW, he should avoid Sydney.   I said nothing at all about any of the other states because he doesn't mention any other states.

From other posts, it appears that he has a family, in which case he'd be crazy to take an employer-sponsored visa anyway, due to the great uncertainty of obtaining PR.

I meant the bit about avoiding it like the plague.  That is a personal opinion based on what is important to you and your circumstances.

I agree house prices are very high but that is a function of supply & demand.  It is a sign of success in some ways as many people want to live there.

Similar to many major cities in the world.

Maybe the OP is coming on a very high salary, can afford to live in a nice suburb and enjoy all Sydney has to offer.

9 minutes ago, Collie said:I meant the bit about avoiding it like the plague.  That is a personal opinion based on what is important to you and your circumstances.

Maybe the OP is coming on a very high salary, can afford to live in a nice suburb and enjoy all Sydney has to offer.

Could be, but even someone on a high salary will have a lot more disposable income anywhere else in Australia. 

Personally I will always think of Sydney as home, but I do think it’s not a sensible starting point for a new migrant especially coming from Paisley

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Could be, but even someone on a high salary will have a lot more disposable income anywhere else in Australia. 

Personally I will always think of Sydney as home, but I do think it’s not a sensible starting point for a new migrant especially coming from Paisley

But that is a personal view.

I know loads of migrants from different countries and backgrounds who love living in Sydney.

I was one for about 10 years.

19 minutes ago, Collie said:

But that is a personal view.

I know loads of migrants from different countries and backgrounds who love living in Sydney.

I was one for about 10 years.

I love Sydney! I rather have mess disposable income and live there, than to have much income but to be in a smaller city/area

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Collie said:

But that is a personal view

Yes, and that's what I said. I refer you back to my original post:   "If you don't have a very strong reason to go to Sydney, I'd avoid it like the plague."      I didn't say "you must avoid it like the plague", did I?

I then went on to state a fact:  "Ask yourself, if you were transferred to London tomorrow, doing the job you do now, could you afford a home in London?   If not, you can't afford a home in Sydney." 

I loved living in Sydney too. I'd still be there if I hadn't been priced out of the market, but luckily I really enjoy living in Melbourne (where I am now). 

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Collie said:

It really depends on the individual and what is important to them in terms of lifestyle preferences etc.

I now live in Perth where house prices are less than half of that in Sydney (& better beaches & climate) but would be back in inner Sydney in a heartbeat if family commitments didn't keep me in Perth.

In any case, if the OP is coming on an employer sponsored visa, they won't have much choice on where they are located.

To the OP, you will be up for $5-$8k pa in school fees.

What's probably more important though is that there is no guarantee of PR at the end of your sponsorship.  You are tied to your employer also.  Very much treat it as a temporary (2-4 years) opportunity to live and work in Oz and not expect to migrant permantently based on this.

I'm not a city person at all but I enjoyed living in Sydney for more than 20 years.  The inner city is a great place to live if you can afford it and I really liked where we lived too (North Ryde) but I wouldn't choose to live in the western suburbs or any other far flung suburb.

• Like 2