Accounting (Qualified) - Melbourne

TWright105

Hi Everyone,  

Currently waiting for my 309/100 to be granted, hopping this will come through soon so I can be over in Melbourne for the end of the year.  I am a CIMA qualified accountant with 15 years UK experience, 9 of those I work for an international oil & gas service company, and 3 years working in the renewables (solar) sector.  I am going to be applying for the CPA qualification once I have moved to oz. 

Just wondering if there are any other Brits on here that are qualified accountants, who now live in Oz, what was your experience like in getting a job?  I know that not having experience in Australia is going to be an issue, but hoping that my international experience will help (I was the accountant for a Singaporean company for 2 years).

Every time I do a job search it seems like there is an abundance of Senior Accountant / Management accountant / Financial Controller based roles in Melbourne.  Has anyone else been successful in landing any of these types of jobs?

Many Thanks,

Edited by TWright105

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I am a CIMA and CPA member based in Perth and lived in Sydney for many years. 

You should be fine in Melbourne.

The whole "Australian experience" is less of an issue now than it used to be, espeically in Sydney & Melbourne.  The only aspect where it's relevant really is Tax which CIMA people don't do a lot of anyway.

CPA & CIMA have a mutual recogition agreement so you can get CPA by just applying and paying the money.  Not sure if you need to in Melbourne, CIMA is becoming more recognised.  I only got CPA when I moved to Perth.

Have a look at seek.com.au for roles & contact with the main agencies before arriving.

Recruitment tends to be very quiet in December and January (summer hols) pretty much everywhere over here.

Hope this helps.

On 30/11/2019 at 07:55, Collie said:

Hi there,

The whole "Australian experience" is less of an issue now than it used to be, espeically in Sydney & Melbourne.  The only aspect where it's relevant really is Tax which CIMA people don't do a lot of anyway.

CPA & CIMA have a mutual recogition agreement so you can get CPA by just applying and paying the money.  Not sure if you need to in Melbourne, CIMA is becoming more recognised.  I only got CPA when I moved to Perth.

Have a look at seek.com.au for roles & contact with the main agencies before arriving.

Recruitment tends to be very quiet in December and January (summer hols) pretty much everywhere over here.

Hope this helps.

Hey Collie, any view on how the job market is for senior finance in Perth?  There never seems to be many jobs on Seek over $150k.. I am CIMA myself, working as an FD for ASX top 10 company but their offices are in Sydney and we are aiming for Perth.

On 30/11/2019 at 07:55, Collie said:

Hi there,

Hope this helps.

Thanks Collie, that’s really useful.  

ive been keeping my eye out on seek for sometime now and there does seem to be an abundance of jobs available in Melbourne so fingers crossed I can get my foot in the door.

many thanks 

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hey Collie, any view on how the job market is for senior finance in Perth?  There never seems to be many jobs on Seek over $150k.. I am CIMA myself, working as an FD for ASX top 10 company but their offices are in Sydney and we are aiming for Perth.

Not great tbh.

Not nearly as many opportunities as Sydney or Melbourne.

It is very much a resources town and few big companies outside of mining or oil & gas.  Also Perth has effectively been in recession for quite a while now.  Some signs that it is bottoming out but it's slow.

I'd really think twice unless you have a job to come to.  Happy to have a chat if you want drop me a PM.

1 hour ago, Collie said:

Not great tbh.

Not nearly as many opportunities as Sydney or Melbourne.

It is very much a resources town and few big companies outside of mining or oil & gas.  Also Perth has effectively been in recession for quite a while now.  Some signs that it is bottoming out but it's slow.

I'd really think twice unless you have a job to come to.  Happy to have a chat if you want drop me a PM.

Thanks, I might well do that.