You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Red Rose

Earning a secondary (passive) income

I was reading some ideas on the net such as selling things on Facebook, making YouTube videos, writing an ebook, selling stuff you’re good at such as art or photography etc....do any of you have secondary employment streams in addition to your main 9-5 jobs?

aka side hustle

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 minute ago, Red Rose said:

I was reading some ideas on the net such as selling things on Facebook, making YouTube videos, writing an ebook, selling stuff you’re good at such as art or photography etc....do any of you have secondary employment streams in addition to your main 9-5 jobs?

None of your examples are passive income as they require effort to do.

I want it all, and I want it now.

5 hours ago, Parley said:

That is very true. I got into writing articles online and selling on eBay fifteen years ago when it really was passive income - a few hours’ set up time each week and the money rolled in. Now there are so many thousands of people doing it, competition is too intense and if you want to make money, you need to invest at least twenty hours a week

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

7 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Many people specifically invest in shares that produce good dividends a few times a year,  as opposed to those which are targetted to grab the capital gain in the share price.  The more you invest over time, you can use the dividends as passive income to reduce or replace the 9-5 working hours. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Parley said:

Some of them are. Yes, writing an ebook takes initial effort, but after that it can be passive income.

Everything the OP mentions can make money. Find a demand of a specific audience, fill the void, learn how to reach your target audience.

Lived in Perth for 18 months. Pingponging back in Juli '15!

Some people say they invest money in bitcoin and then brag on the internet about how money they could make if they sold their imaginary 1s and 0s.