Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Smith270310

How the 190 visa works

Recommended Posts

Bear with me if this is a really stupid question but I’m still trying to get my head around how the process all works. Say we go for a 190 visa with state sponsorship. When we submit our EOI is it at this point that the wait is based on points/skill shortage etc? So the wait time for an invitation is based on supply and demand? Then when we submit our actual visa application are we just in the same que as everyone else? So say the visa processing time is 9-10 months everyone is in the same boat, no one will be fast tracked based on demand for their skills? I hope this makes sense and I would appreciate any advice on the process.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya

(I think this is correct)

Each state has its own jobs lists, requirements and processing times, so as long as you match the criteria which that state has set then you are eligible to apply for the state sponsorship.

Each state can then select who they want to give sponsorship to so you aren't necessarily in a queue at this point, although I think it still takes around the time which the processing time is showing.

Then when you have been approved for state sponsorship you apply to the government for your visa and it is nothing to do with the state anymore.

You are then pretty much in a queue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Lavers, this is how I thought it worked but was just a little unsure. We should hopefully be submitting our EOI in November if my husband gets his positive outcome for his skills assessment. It’s such a stressful time, not knowing timeframes or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just try and relax because it's going to take some time, easy for me as I dont want to move until the end of summer next year.

Which state are you looking at?

I applied SA and you submit an EOI with the state and also skillselect, but I dont know if that is the same with every state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren’t 100% yet but SA and NSW are options at the moment. I am aware that it will take a long time but there is a lot to consider re selling our house and our mortgage deal coming to an end during summer next year. We were hoping to sell the house next summer and stay with family for a bit then head off autumn time next year. I think this may be a little unrealistic though. Our agent had quoted around 12 months from start to finish of the process which we started in June this year but from other people’s timelines I think we will be quite a bit off from this. 

 

Have you received  your visa grant lavers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No not yet I only submitted my application end of April this year and I didn't submit my medical and police check.

Its looking like end of November when I will be asked for my medical, then maybe my grant early next year.

If you want to do everything fast make sure that you submit your medicals and police checks at the start. Processing for the 190 is at 9 - 10 months at the minute so not too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lavers said:

No not yet I only submitted my application end of April this year and I didn't submit my medical and police check.

Its looking like end of November when I will be asked for my medical, then maybe my grant early next year.

If you want to do everything fast make sure that you submit your medicals and police checks at the start. Processing for the 190 is at 9 - 10 months at the minute so not too bad.

How does having the meds and police checks speed it up? Is it that when you plan to have your first CO contact that if they could have seen all wa sin order they would do the grant then, where as you will need to get the paperwork done, submitted and then they need to pick it back up again?

How much quicker do you think it is if everything is in place as opposed to waiting to be asked (i.e. you are looking at about 10 months from lodge - how qucik do you think you might have got it if you had pre-loaded all this stuff?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's correct, maybe you could get a direct grant after 6 or 7 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm - might put my medicals in early then - we've been lodged (on a 190 from NSW) since the third week in June. So by your estimate above that could be a very mice XMAS present or a way to brighten the January blues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Smith270310 said:

Bear with me if this is a really stupid question but I’m still trying to get my head around how the process all works. Say we go for a 190 visa with state sponsorship. When we submit our EOI is it at this point that the wait is based on points/skill shortage etc? So the wait time for an invitation is based on supply and demand? Then when we submit our actual visa application are we just in the same que as everyone else? So say the visa processing time is 9-10 months everyone is in the same boat, no one will be fast tracked based on demand for their skills? I hope this makes sense and I would appreciate any advice on the process.

 

The Visa application stage is currently 9 - 10 months but the whole process can take much much longer. Before you submit your EOI you need most of your documents like skills assessment and IELTS/PTE score reports etc and all this can take a fair amount of time. It is currently extremely competitive with applicants with less then 70/75 points stand virtually no chance of being invited but a lot also depends on your ANZSCO code. Occupations such as chefs, mechanics, plumbers, metal fabricators are not really affected by current trends of needing high points to get an invite. I would advise to use a MARA agent, there are a few amazing ones on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johndoug thank you for your reply, we do have an agent and my husband is booked for the 2nd stage of the skills assessment in a couple of weeks so all in hand. He is a plumber 🤞I just wanted to make sure I had got my head around the waiting process correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Smith270310 said:

Johndoug thank you for your reply, we do have an agent and my husband is booked for the 2nd stage of the skills assessment in a couple of weeks so all in hand. He is a plumber 🤞I just wanted to make sure I had got my head around the waiting process correctly.

You are welcome and I hope your journey to Aus is a speedy one. Don't front load meds and pcc's yet, once you have submitted your VISA application wait 6 months then get them done and front load them. That will potentially save you from a CO contact and get you a direct grant and also give you enough time to sort things out before you make your move to Aus. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point john......your medicals and police checks are only valid for 12months, so your latest date of entry when you receive your visa, is 12 months from when you submitted your medicals or police checks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×