You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

darbs

Marriage and move

Hi. I am hoping this is the right place, as I seem to have come to a dead end as such.

I am looking to propose to someone I have known for 10+ years. She lives in SA and I am in UK. I have discussed marriage with her and she is keen. So naturally I have a few questions I am trying to find the answers to.

1) She can claim dual nationality as her father was English. What proof does she need to obtain British nationality and given she is based in SA, who does she file an application to? Would she be better off going down the route of her father being English or would it be better to apply for nationality when in England and married to me? 

2) Upon getting British nationality, our plans would be for us to live together as a married couple in England. However, this is only in the interim and within 12 months, we'd be looking to move to SA. So my question regarding this is, what do I need to do as a Brit, with no certification of skills, to live with my future wife in SA? What is the requirement of Immigration Australia that I need to show/prove? Can I apply for whatever visa to move to SA, say when in the marriage for a couple of months or is there a minimum criteria required before I can apply, such as being in the marriage for a minimum of 12 months?

There are no children involved. She has no skills. I am 48, she is 40.
To protect myself, the last thing I want to be doing is moving to Australia and then being booted out. I would be looking to secure a visa, that would allow me to remain in Australia, if I ended up getting divorced.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Also to add to this, upon entry to Australia, I'd be busy doing various stuff for a few weeks then look for work. Is anyone able to tell me if I would qualify for any unemployment benefit as such and if so, what is the timeframe for claiming? 

It would be better for your fiance to get citizenship from her father. Very simple if she has father's passport or birth certificate. 

You should also be very simple assuming you can prove your relationship.

But I can't see you getting any unemployment benefits for a few years.

I would Google both government websites.

3 hours ago, darbs said:

Also to add to this, upon entry to Australia, I'd be busy doing various stuff for a few weeks then look for work. Is anyone able to tell me if I would qualify for any unemployment benefit as such and if so, what is the timeframe for claiming? 

If you're a new resident of Australia you may have to wait 2 or 4 years before claiming unemployment benefits.

You recently became a resident of Australia

If you’re a new resident of Australia you may have to wait 2 or 4 years. Read more about the newly arrived residents waiting period.

You must continue to meet the residence rules for as long as you get this payment.

With regard you visa for Australia. Once you are married, you can apply for a spouse visa. This is a visa the comes in two parts for those just married. It is initially granted as a temporary visa and then transitions to a permanent visa.