You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Post Brexit Britain Doing so Far?

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Well he was always going to be hopelessly out of his depth with this crisis.  Everyone is struggling with it and we seem to be sliding towards a form of totalitarianism everywhere as that is what has deemed to be effective in China.

Tell me what else is going to work in these circumstances.

We are about to see how effective the alternative to enforcement of quarantine is in libertarian England as herd immunity is tried out on a docile public.

The UK has 20% less hospital beds and 25% less doctors than Italy so good luck with that experiment.

On 19/03/2020 at 16:52, Marisawright said:

No, it's not fake news. A simple Google would prove it.

A simple google doesn't prove anything. I could google it and find something critical about Trump, Boris, Scott Morrison on 1000 sites. There's always someone who wants to criticise and tell the leader and the government where they're going wrong.

Now is the time to just follow what you're advised to do and that might change daily. If people do there's a good chance it will be over the worst in a few weeks.

I don't have much hope people will though. Saw an old guy today with 3 jars of coffee and he knew he was doing wrong. He was with a younger girl and was telling her I'm being greedy. I don't go to the shops a lot so I'm sure people that do have seen worse.

13 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

You do realise if he pins the blame for this on China and gets that into the brains? of his supporters then there is going to be no blame attached to him for his mishandling of this emergency, in exactly the way Boris is lining the scientists up to take the flak if/when the policies in the UK come apart.

The thing about Trump is he says what a lot of people are thinking but are too scared to say, in this climate of political correctness. I've seen posts on here from people who say they hope China is going to be held to account. 

I didn't have a problem with what he said.

28 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

The thing about Trump is he says what a lot of people are thinking but are too scared to say, in this climate of political correctness. I've seen posts on here from people who say they hope China is going to be held to account. 

The thing about Trump is he is normally saying what the incoherent racist mysoginistic drunk at the end of the bar is saying.  If you ever look at the actual transcript of what he says it makes little sense at all.

I agree that a fair number of people agree with these incoherent ramblings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

31 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Ever given a thought where scapegoating leads, remember Hitler blamed the Jews for the loss of the 1st WW and see where that led.

11 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The thing about Trump is he is normally saying what the incoherent racist mysoginistic drunk at the end of the bar is saying.  If you ever look at the actual transcript of what he says it makes little sense at all.

I've read transcripts of a couple of his speeches.  They are rambling and just about incoherent.  I could barely understand what he was on about.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Tell me what else is going to work in these circumstances.

We are about to see how effective the alternative to enforcement of quarantine is in libertarian England as herd immunity is tried out on a docile public.

The UK has 20% less hospital beds and 25% less doctors than Italy so good luck with that experiment.

I have read several first hand accounts from westerners in China and the manner in which they approached this and the levels of cooperation from the population just could not be matched in western democracies.

We are all in for a rough ride I sense.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

20 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Ever given a thought where scapegoating leads, remember Hitler blamed the Jews for the loss of the 1st WW and see where that led.

Remember Spanish flu, Asian Flu? 

Ever given a thought to non conspiratory theories? Sometimes things just are.

20 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

What? You didn't understand him when he was asked why he called it the China virus and he said it comes from China. Couldn't have spoken more plainly could he?

Have another listen mate, I'm sure you'll get it.

19 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I have read several first hand accounts from westerners in China and the manner in which they approached this and the levels of cooperation from the population just could not be matched in western democracies.

Yep, if you didn't co-operate they just beat the crap out of you then locked you up. What are you saying, shame it can't happen in the UK and Aus?

12 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yep, if you didn't co-operate they just beat the crap out of you then locked you up. What are you saying, shame it can't happen in the UK and Aus?

What first hand accounts have you read?

15 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

What? You didn't understand him when he was asked why he called it the China virus and he said it comes from China. Couldn't have spoken more plainly could he?

Have another listen mate, I'm sure you'll get it.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less what that moron has to say about anything.  Move on and discuss something more important than the ignorant ramblings of a senile old racist.

4 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Frankly, I couldn’t care less what that moron has to say about anything.  Move on and discuss something more important than the ignorant ramblings of a senile old racist.

He is not the least bit Senile.

Biden is the senile one.

I want it all, and I want it now.

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

He is not the least bit Senile.

Biden is the senile one.

I don't think either of them is anywhere near 100% unconfused and lucid going by listening to their speeches.

20 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Co operation ,is that what they call it now 😀😀😀😀

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

On 20/03/2020 at 04:59, Gbye grey sky said:

Actually you can stoke up xenophobia for political advantage without actually being a racist yourself.

But ultimately the point Parley was making anyway was a pointless diversion.  

So Trump isn't a racist then?

Or is he a racist......I think I can be pretty certain.....I would go as far as saying 100% that you think Trump is a racist and you use words like "xenophobia" to label people and put them into boxes which is something you also like to do.....so Parley was correct......the point he was ,making was that you labelled Trump a xenophobe (racist) for closing the borders....."an exercise in total futility which only served to stoke up xenophobia which has served him well and was doubtless his motivation".....thats pretty much what you said so c'mon mate.....if you write it....own it.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Or is he a racist......I think I can be pretty certain.....I would go as far as saying 100% that you think Trump is a racist and you use words like "xenophobia" to label people and put them into boxes which is something you also like to do.....so Parley was correct......the point he was ,making was that you labelled Trump a xenophobe (racist) for closing the borders....."an exercise in total futility which only served to stoke up xenophobia which has served him well and was doubtless his motivation".....thats pretty much what you said so c'mon mate.....if you write it....own it.....

maybe I should point out the comparison (for the Momentum department of PIO) that was being made between Jacinda and Scotts decision to also close the borders......same as Trump.....but Trumps decision was based on xenophobia and racism whilst JA and SM was for the good of their people.......🤔

Edited by kungfustu
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Where in that was a statement that Chump was racist, it was pointing out that Chump used the Xenophobia of his followers to stoke his chances of re election and played to that prejudice.

On 21/03/2020 at 14:35, Gbye grey sky said:

What first hand accounts have you read?

We had my niece and boyfriend with us who left Shanghai on Chinese new year so they heard about it about a week after they got to Perth. They heard their school was closed a few days after, they're teachers. They had friends still in Shanghai, some now stuck there. They sent them pictures of what was happening, literraly welding up windows and doors to keep people in, grabbing people on the street who weren't doing the right thing. 

They stayed with us an extra week and are now back in the UK and obviously stuck there. Luckily they are still getting paid as they're doing online learning. They have to operate on Shanghai time though so have ro get up at 1:00 am. Best to be stuck in the UK rather than China though I reckon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Best to be stuck in the UK rather than China though I reckon.

I'm not so sure about that  - I hope they're not in London.  It's starting to get frightening in the UK too. 

I was just talking to my nephew on Messenger last night.  One of his close friends is a doctor in a North London hospital, and she says it's a catastrophe.  They've run out of ventilators already. Part of her job is to palliate all the other patients who need a ventilator but can't get one - there's nothing she can do except ease their pain until they die. She says, watch out for the death toll to rise.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Sad 4

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 21/03/2020 at 19:00, kungfustu said:

Whether or not Trump is a racist is actually irrelevant.

He uses all the racist dog whistles and actual avowed racists support him as ‘one of them’.  For goodness sake, this isn’t even a debatable issue in 2020.

Racism probably isn’t even his worst trait.

Personally I am fed up talking about your narcissistic poster-boy and certainly don’t bother listening to his inane ramblings anymore.  There are more important issues to contend with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

He uses all the racist dog whistles and actual avowed racists support him as ‘one of them’.  For goodness sake, this isn’t even a debatable issue in 2020.

Personally I am fed up talking about your narcissistic poster-boy and certainly don’t bother listening to his inane ramblings anymore.  There are more important issues to contend with.

Good. I look forward to hearing no more from you about Trump.

It is just trolling at the end of the day to get a reaction.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

With everything going on right now, I really don’t give a fig about Brexit or Chump

3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

where on earth do you get the idea Trump is my "poster-boy"......when have I ever banged a drum for Trump and his policies?

You see this is a lot of the problem......you continually want to label people......you want to put them into a box.....a category labelled as such.....why do you always make assumptions about everyone and what their own political/ideological beliefs are?

If you just answered the point being made.....the criticism being levelled at you then what you say would be so much more digestible.....I might even change my opinion of you......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not so sure about that  - I hope they're not in London.  It's starting to get frightening in the UK too. 

I was just talking to my nephew on Messenger last night.  One of his close friends is a doctor in a North London hospital, and she says it's a catastrophe.  They've run out of ventilators already. Part of her job is to palliate all the other patients who need a ventilator but can't get one - there's nothing she can do except ease their pain until they die. She says, watch out for the death toll to rise.

We have friends in France....Reims......they have told us that selection is now taking place.....anyone over the age of 73 is not going to get the same treatment as the younger patients......I don't know how much truth is in that but these friends are good educated people......one is a cardiographer the other a dentist......they also say that they now have no ventilators.

We have just signed an agreement with the private sector which is bringing in thousands more staff and lots of new ventilators......the death toll rising is nothing new......everyone knows thats going to happen.....I think you are talking about Northwick Park which reached its capacity for ICU beds a couple of days ago for a short period......I think everyone realises this whole situation is a catastrophe......we just need to get on and manage it as best as we all can and stay calm 😉

• Like 1