Living with Bushfires 2019-2020.

Dusty Plains

26 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

It's 39C and windy today in Perth. Keeping our fingers crossed that the day ends without serious incident.

😮

It managed to reach 14C here in Devonport and it drizzled on and off all day.  

Hope it has cooled down a bit for your.  Heat and wind are deadly in bushfire season  ...............  though it's not summer yet.  Quite scary.

A few dozen firefighters from Tassie have gone up to NSW to  help out with the fires there.

48 minutes ago, Toots said:

Just posted that too Dusty.  🙂

I was the Station Officer at Glen Innes Fire Station for a short time back in the 90s. GI is a small town up there in the NSW northern highlands. It is  a very homogenous community.

The men and women from the Tasmanian Fire Service, now in Glen Innes will be overcome with welcome. They will be invited for breakfast lunch and dinner into the homes by the local residents. They will never be allowed to pay for anything. There are three pubs in GI. And not one of those will take money from the members of the TFS. 

They are in good hands. 

• Like 1

I think all the state fire services are very cooperative in helping one another in crisis situations.  I know we had teams from other states, including NSW - and even New Zealand -   helping down here in Tassie with the difficult remote highland  and forestry fires in January and Feb. this year.

• Like 2

So far we have been fortunate in not having any local bushfires though we have had a permanent smoke haze here for several days with poor air quality making it difficult for anyone with asthma or other respiratory conditions.

Everything is so dry here and, surrounded by bushland as we are, it is a nervous time.  Hard to ignore when you are breathing smoke.

More hot, dry, windy weather to come so respite may be some way away.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So far we have been fortunate in not having any local bushfires though we have had a permanent smoke haze here for several days with poor air quality making it difficult for anyone with asthma or other respiratory conditions.

Everything is so dry here and, surrounded by bushland as we are, it is a nervous time.  Hard to ignore when you are breathing smoke.

More hot, dry, windy weather to come so respite may be some way away.

Hope you are ok stay safe xM

11 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Can relate to that, having lived through the same last January.  I was so worried I packed up all my irreplaceable, sentimental things and put them into safe storage elsewhere.  I hope you have your bushfire plan all ready.  It's horrible having to prepare it but does give peace of mind knowing you are organised.  I hope the days ahead are more peaceful than predicted....and all these fireground areas soon get good drenching rain.   

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Toots said:

Firemen and police think some of those bushfires were deliberately lit.  They are almost sure the one in Turramurra (a suburb in Sydney) was.

This was taken about 1hr ago 3 miles away from us , reports says it was started deliberately 😡

Emergency services doing an amazing job

concerned wind change later could effect opposite direction 

30AF574D-FEA6-42FE-9FA0-7A5605BC3F08.jpeg

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

This was taken about 1hr ago 3 miles away from us , reports says it was started deliberately 😡

Hope you and yours and all the folk nearby are safe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Hope you stay safe, keep in touch xM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

An amazing image. Note the two fire trucks close to the fire. These appear to be  NSW Fire and Rescue crews. The vehicle at the centre is a bulk water carrier. The other vehicle seems to be a fire tanker. The fireighter in the middle seems to be running out hose from the bulk carrier to the tanker, so they are going to fight the fire rather than withdraw.

That is what I call close proximity fireighting.  Well done those people.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 18:54, Toots said:

Firemen and police think some of those bushfires were deliberately lit.  They are almost sure the one in Turramurra (a suburb in Sydney) was.

Yesterday, Police in Wollongong NSW were called to assist a person in a hang glider which had crash landed in a tree in bushland. While assisting the person up in the tree they noticed a man nearby lighting a fire in the bushland (who by the way, had not noticed the Police). The man was arrested.  I could just imagine the anger of the Police when they got hold of this idiot.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Yesterday, Police in Wollongong NSW were called to assist a person in a hang glider which had crash landed in a tree in bushland. While assisting the person up in the tree they noticed a man nearby lighting a fire in the bushland (who by the way, had not noticed the Police). The man was arrested.  I could just imagine the anger of the Police when they got hold of this idiot.

Absolutely makes my blood boil that someone would do this deliberately 

• Like 1