IS NEW PARTNER POINT REALLY GOING TO BE BENEFICIAL FOR SINGLES AND COUPLES WHOSE PARTNERS HAVE ENGLISH + SKILL ASSESSMENTS?

Hoang Quyen Le

So, as you can see, this thread is about what the title says. Just to be clear, I am, by all means, not an expert, but here is my take on this issue. First, please let me present the types of applicants at the moment and how the changes in Nov will affect them.

1/ Applicants whose partners have English & SA at the moment => they currently get 5p from their partners

---> When the change is implemented, they will get 10p, instead of 5p like before => BENEFICIAL

2/ Applicants who are single at the moment => they currently get 0 point.

---> When the change is implemented, they will get 10p => BENEFICIAL

3/ Applicants whose partners have English, but no SA at the moment => they currently get 0 point from their partners.

---> When the change is implemented, they will get 5 points instead of 0 point like before => BENEFICIAL

4/ Applicants whose partners have no English and no SA at the moment => they currently get 0 point from their partners.

----> When the change is implemented, they will still get 0 point like before => NOTHING CHANGE

There is also a degree of priority being introduced in Nov, with singles and applicants whose partners have SA and competent English are considered to be equally first. Applicants whose partners only have competent English to be second and applicants whose partners have no English as well as SA to be last. This change is obviously good for singles and applicants with skilled and competent in English partners. However, people can game the new system, and here’s why I say this.

In my opinion, base on what I stated above, the applicants who fall into category 3 & 4 (whether their relationships are genuine or not) will CLAIM TO BE SINGLE again in order to get 10 points, instead of only 5 points or no point at all, for the purpose of boosting their total points for a better chance at getting PR.

For real couples, after the main applicants have already got PR, the other spouses, who weren’t included in the PR visa, can always lodge a partner visa after that. This is obviously easier to be done by people who are in de factor relationship rather than married couples as they don’t have to go through the complicated divorce process, which from what I understand is time consuming as costly as well.  

Of course this will make the PR path for both partners (de factor or married) become much more expensive and take much more time. There are also possible risks of breaking up or getting divorce for real, but let’s not talk about that now.

In short, I expect there will be a lot of break-up cases in the upcoming November after the new changes are implemented. As suspicious as it looks, DHA can’t really prove if the break-ups are real or not and will have no choice but to accept that. Of course DHA can always alter the requirements or blacklist those applicants who do those shady things and thus make it harder for them to “sponsor” their spouses in the future, but who knows. I could be wrong on this, I guess we just have to wait and see how things turn out.     

I am single and currently holding 60 points on my own and as per the current point system I 'll have 5 points or 10 points for state sponsorship.. However, in November due to implementation of new point system I'll be having 85 points

25- Age

15 Degree

20- English Proficiency

10- Single

15- State sponsorship

As I have a positive Skill assessment and assessment body has count experience below 3 years so Not claiming points for the experience though..

Still I will be standing at 85 Points which seems very good so yes Indeed if you are genuine single like me than this is really beneficial & on the one side I also agree that break up cases will increase. But there is always pros & cons of each and everything.

If people think it will be easier to either lie about their relationships or to divorce/break up only to spend 7K plus a few years later, then I think they'll be in for a rude awakening when they try it.

Partner applications require both sponsor and applicant to provide statements/information about previous relationships, and about their own relationship.  Of course again they cannot lie on their applications/statements so if they admit they were previously in a relationship which coincidentally ended right before the sponsor was invited to apply for a visa, it would likely cause Immigration to look at their situation with more scrutiny.

• Like 2

On 30/09/2019 at 22:14, Areyousure said:

I personally feel singles are set to benefit the most from the changes happening. Anything got any data on what % of applicants are single?

This is the information that Iscah released in May 2019. According to them, 34% of EOIs in the pool at that time are singles. But I guess this number is already different now. 

image.png.523e63334a5ad8de573d000b355fe4df.png

On 30/09/2019 at 23:55, Arju_12 said:

I am single and currently holding 60 points on my own and as per the current point system I 'll have 5 points or 10 points for state sponsorship.. However, in November due to implementation of new point system I'll be having 85 points

25- Age

15 Degree

20- English Proficiency

10- Single

15- State sponsorship

As I have a positive Skill assessment and assessment body has count experience below 3 years so Not claiming points for the experience though..

Still I will be standing at 85 Points which seems very good so yes Indeed if you are genuine single like me than this is really beneficial & on the one side I also agree that break up cases will increase. But there is always pros & cons of each and everything.

Perhaps, I did not express very clearly in my post above. It's true that singles are the ones who will benefit the most from the changes, however, if people choose to "cheat", then there will be a huge amount of applicants who are singles => singles will become a new normal. Let's just say in case nobody does anything shady, then you (as a single) will have to compete  with 5000 other applicants (this number is just a random number I choose) who are also single, but if they do want to game the system like I said, then you may have to compete with 8000 other applicants (again, just a random number I choose) => the competition is gonna be tougher for genuine singles and applicants who have partners with competent English and SA. I guess while it's still a good thing for applicants from categories 1 & 2, it may not be as good if people try to exploit the changes. 

15 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

If people think it will be easier to either lie about their relationships or to divorce/break up only to spend 7K plus a few years later, then I think they'll be in for a rude awakening when they try it.

Partner applications require both sponsor and applicant to provide statements/information about previous relationships, and about their own relationship.  Of course again they cannot lie on their applications/statements so if they admit they were previously in a relationship which coincidentally ended right before the sponsor was invited to apply for a visa, it would likely cause Immigration to look at their situation with more scrutiny.

I completely agree with what you say, however, you have no idea how many people have already had this thought in their mind. Some of them even asked if they could still get 10p if they declared that they were married but wouldn't include their partners in the applications. Some even think of lying about marital status. 

Edited by Hoang Quyen Le

2 hours ago, CapitalS said:

Can I ask why you get 15 points for state sponsorship? I thought 5 for 190 and 10 for 489/491?

1 hour ago, Pooja Negi said:

Exactly the question I wanted to ask. Was scrolling down to see if anyone has asked it or not.

At the moment, you get 5p if you apply for 190 and 10p for 489. After the changes are applied in November, you still only get 5p for 190, but you will get 15p for 491 (the new 489).

On 03/10/2019 at 04:07, wrussell said:

Fatal error! 

THEY check check registries for  marriages/children and so on and the planet is infested by informers.

Exactly agree with you I mean department has change the point system just to avoid fraud because many people are claiming false marriage certificates and DHA verify each and every details of an applicant if person claims to be single or divorcded they also verify it either via social media or call ex wif. I repeat DHA verify everything.

On 01/10/2019 at 23:39, Hoang Quyen Le said:

This is the information that Iscah released in May 2019. According to them, 34% of EOIs in the pool at that time are singles. But I guess this number is already different now. 

Perhaps, I did not express very clearly in my post above. It's true that singles are the ones who will benefit the most from the changes, however, if people choose to "cheat", then there will be a huge amount of applicants who are singles => singles will become a new normal. Let's just say in case nobody does anything shady, then you (as a single) will have to compete  with 5000 other applicants (this number is just a random number I choose) who are also single, but if they do want to game the system like I said, then you may have to compete with 8000 other applicants (again, just a random number I choose) => the competition is gonna be tougher for genuine singles and applicants who have partners with competent English and SA. I guess while it's still a good thing for applicants from categories 1 & 2, it may not be as good if people try to exploit the changes. 

I completely agree with what you say, however, you have no idea how many people have already had this thought in their mind. Some of them even asked if they could still get 10p if they declared that they were married but wouldn't include their partners in the applications. Some even think of lying about marital status. 

The screenshot above you have shared is only half and it can mis lead to people in other directions

Kindly see the following attachment

Read the following it clearly states that 1st priority will be an applicant having skilled spouse or de facto partner and single will be consider equally but not on their priority

Thanks & regards

Screenshot_2019-10-04-11-37-06-763_com.android.chrome.png

On 01/10/2019 at 23:39, Hoang Quyen Le said:

I completely agree with what you say, however, you have no idea how many people have already had this thought in their mind. Some of them even asked if they could still get 10p if they declared that they were married but wouldn't include their partners in the applications. Some even think of lying about marital statH

However, there is confirmation on this read this belwo.

When DHA announced the New 16/11/2019 points test back in April 2019 the Explanatory Statement included these paragraphs

This will ensure that primary applicants without a partner (singles) will be ranked equally to other primary applicants who have the same human capital attributes. If all other points claims are equal, invitations for points tested visas will be ranked by the Migration Points Test as described below:

• First – primary applicants with a skilled spouse or de facto partner
  • Equal First – primary applicants without a spouse or de facto partner
  • Second – Primary applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who can demonstrate competent English but does not have the skills for skilled partner points (age and skills)
  • Third –  Primary applicants with a partner who is ineligible for either competent English or Skilled partner points. These applicants will be ranked below all other cohorts, if all other points claims are equal.

This suggested that if points were equal (let’s say 85 points) that EOIs claiming 10 partner points (single people and those with a skilled partner and competent english) would gain an invite BEFORE others on the same total even if they had a lesser effect date. As they would be ranked higher in the above ordering listed in the explanatory statement

DHA have confirmed to us that there will be NO new “rankings” system in the new points test (So the system remains as it currently is) . So when an EOI is allocated it’s points total and EOI date (including any new partner points etc) on 16/11/2019 … EOIs will be selected on merit from that point. It will be based as before, simply on points total and EOI effect date

DHAs reply included the following quotes
” There is no change to how EOIs are ranked in SkillSelect, nor will there be a change from 16 November 2019. ”
“…Yes, you are misintepreting the Explanatory Statement, there was no intention in this statement to imply there would be priority groupings.”

Now everything is clear there will be no priority to singles and married having a skilled spouse or de facto partner

and again I repeat DHA wants skilled spouse and they verify each & everything 

Thanks & Regards